Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Current War

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, Cumberbatch has one American accent and I hate it; sounds like Hugh Laurie's generic mid-Atlantic drawl.

As to the film, should be an interesting one for the historical buffs to pick apart: what little I've read on the matter, a lot of narratives portray Eddison as a vicious huckster, one who doesn't deserve the legacy he has; while the naivity typical of 'pure' scientists in Tesla left him second best and ultimately dying penniless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

pixelburp wrote: »
    As to the film, should be an interesting one for the historical buffs to pick apart: what little I've read on the matter, a lot of narratives portray Eddison as a vicious huckster, one who doesn't deserve the legacy he has; while the naivity typical of 'pure' scientists in Tesla left him second best and ultimately dying penniless.

The story is quite interesting, and with a cast like that, definitely one for the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

The story is quite interesting, and with a cast like that, definitely one for the calendar.
    read the reviews, most say its a boring filmhttps://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_current_war

read the reviews, most say its a boring filmhttps://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_current_war
    :eek: Pretty dire alright.
    The director's filmography reviews as a whole are wildly erratic. Looks like this one's another bad one. Pity.
    I might still watch it as I do find the subject matter very interesting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

:eek: Pretty dire alright.
    The director's filmography reviews as a whole are wildly erratic. Looks like this one's another bad one. Pity.
    I might still watch it as I do find the subject matter very interesting.

I was interested in the film when I read of the premise, but I'm not really interested in watching something that lionises a man who was mainly an exploitative, Olympic-level arsehole.

This Oatmeal strip has a good rundown on why Tesla is a forefather of modern technology who deserves to be remembered, and why Edison was a nob who deserves, at best, the memorial equivalent of a kick in the ballbag. IMO, of course :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

looks electrifying :p

branie2 wrote: »
    looks electrifying :p
    That's a shocking attitude.😨:P

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fysh wrote: »
    I was interested in the film when I read of the premise, but I'm not really interested in watching something that lionises a man who was mainly an exploitative, Olympic-level arsehole.

This Oatmeal strip has a good rundown on why Tesla is a forefather of modern technology who deserves to be remembered, and why Edison was a nob who deserves, at best, the memorial equivalent of a kick in the ballbag. IMO, of course :D

Well, I dont see anyone driving around in Edison cars so score 1 for the positive use of the name and legacy of Nikola ensuring he's better remembered.

Though how many people know where the name is from these days is debatable. Bloody kids.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I love all things Tesla and this looks amazing. Not sure about Hoult but let’s see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So did anyone go see this. Were the reviews right? Its sad that Tesla was not recognized more for what he done and that Edison seemed to get all the fame.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

AMKC wrote: »
    So did anyone go see this. Were the reviews right? Its sad that Tesla was not recognized more for what he done and that Edison seemed to get all the fame.

There’s an episode all about Tesla and what they did to him and how they pretty much robbed Him of all his ideas and his mysterious death on the conspiracy guys podcast. It’s a fascinating listen.

Cant wait to see this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its already gone from my local cinema, only a couple of showings in dublin today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's largely framed as Edison vs Westinghouse. They're fighting for city contracts across America. Technologically, Westinghouse's AC supplies are cheaper, but they hadn't invented an AC motor yet, so it wasn't possible to power factories with it. The film does explain all that, but it is more interested in the two personalities, the stresses on them, and the ethical boundaries they'll cross to win.

Tesla is a relatively minor character.

I found the film engrossing, but then I am an engineer. It's not especially fast-moving, but it never grinds to a halt either, and if the subject matter sounds at all interesting I recommend it.

Advertisement