Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone remember Madison?

Options
  • 25-07-2019 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭

Back in the day, when i started as a barman in the 80's an apple flavored drink, was a decent seller, talking about it now to few younger lads who never heard of it and ive googled everywhere but can't find anything about it. Im not imagining things am i? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I remember it, but I couldn't have told you what sort of drink it was as I never tasted it. I seem to remember it was mainly marketed at women, but I could be wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Zaph wrote: »
    I remember it, but I couldn't have told you what sort of drink it was as I never tasted it. I seem to remember it was mainly marketed at women, but I could be wrong about that.

Oh ya totally a woman's drink, a non alcoholic apple flavour im nearly sure

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

What a blast from the past, remember Madison well but hadn't thought of it in ages. Small green bottle as I recall, possibly with a foil top like Babycham, aimed at the sophisticated non-drinker. High profile advertising campaign, tagline I think was "sipping the night away, with a Madison"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Used to love it. Thought it was sophisticated as I wasnt at the drinking age so drank when out with the folks. :)
    Then I discovered alcohol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

My sister used to drink gin and Madison

Never had it myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sparkling apple juice, as I remember it.
    Posh, Cidona.

Totally forgotten about it until this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Yes remember it well :) There was another miniature bottle called Snowball I think....

There used to be a mini-fridge in most Irish pubs with some of the more alternative options e.g. Ritz, Satzenbrau, Kalibre etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

petros1980 wrote: »
    Yes remember it well :) There was another miniature bottle called Snowball I think....

There used to be a mini-fridge in most Irish pubs with some of the more alternative options e.g. Ritz, Satzenbrau, Kalibre etc

Yup, Snowball was an advocaat based drink.
    Babycham was another one - a very tiny bottle of sparkling perry masquerading as Champagne.

Anyone remember the forerunner to Kaliber? - Moussy, I think it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

First bar I worked in had bottles of Stag, for the life of me I can't remember what it was though?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Don’t forget the football specials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Adyx wrote:
    First bar I worked in had bottles of Stag, for the life of me I can't remember what it was though?

Stag was a cider, with a glamorous ad campaign, making it more attractive than general cider (which was not very popular then)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Anyone remember the forerunner to Kaliber? - Moussy, I think it was called.

I remember that stuff, I won a Moussy travel bag on a radio phone-in quiz. Would have been 1983, as I always remember the question was who was the reigning Formula 1 world champion (Keke Rosberg for anyone who cares). I was still too young to drink legally at that stage, and Lilt would have been my drink of choice at that time, so no idea what Moussy actually tasted like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Adyx wrote: »

Yeah Stag was a dry cider. Ritz was a perry marketed at women and was popular enough in the early 90s. Both were manufactured by Showerings (who do Cidona and Bulmers) in Clonmel. Stag is long gone AFAIK but pretty sure I saw cans of Ritz in Tesco a few years back so it might still be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ritz shows up in Tesco site as available, and Charlemagne is pretty much Ritz in a fake Champagne bottle - great for parties :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Stag was a dry cider. Ritz was a perry marketed at women and was popular enough in the early 90s. Both were manufactured by Showerings (who do Cidona and Bulmers) in Clonmel. Stag is long gone AFAIK but pretty sure I saw cans of Ritz in Tesco a few years back so it might still be around.

Yeah we still sell Ritz, nowhere near as popular as it once was though. Britvic own Cidona now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah we still sell Ritz, nowhere near as popular as it once was though. Britvic own Cidona now.

Yeah Ritz was very popular amongst women as was Satzenbrau and Holstein Pils, both of which are actually pretty decent beers. Then in about 1995ish alcopops hit the market, firstly in the form of Woodies and soon after Barcardi Breezer. There was a big shift away from Ritz/Stag/Satzenbrau/Holstein when Bacardi Breezer hit the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

When I was a kid in the 80s, an odd time the Da would let me tag along to the pub. He'd get me a bottle of Madison. I loved it and it made me feel like I was older drinking with the adults... even though it was only sparkling apple juice. Good memories.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Ritz was very popular amongst women as was Satzenbrau and Holstein Pils, both of which are actually pretty decent beers. Then in about 1995ish alcopops hit the market, firstly in the form of Woodies and soon after Barcardi Breezer. There was a big shift away from Ritz/Stag/Satzenbrau/Holstein when Bacardi Breezer hit the market.

Bacardi had another RTD too. Think it was Soda Water & Lime? Can't remember the name. We also had Reef which was vodka based and Orange or Pineapple juice flavoured, it wasn't fizzy like others. We also had the Irn Bru WKD :pac:

I don't really remember Madison but Coca Cola still do Appletiser which I guess would be something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

hope you don't mind if i jump in here [as theres a few experts on beer] I was in ringesnd/irishtown a few week ago in the Merry Cobbler and was given an ale [Did'nt sell Smidwicks] it was a craft beer much like Smidwicks but with a nice fruitie taste, on the way to concert and i left without asking the name of it, i know this is a long shot [very long] would anyone know the name of it.?
    PS very nice pub for food , staff very helpful, well worth a visit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

decky1 wrote: »
    would anyone know the name of it.?
    Could be The Merry Brew, made for them by Dungarvan Brewing. The Merry Cobbler and Merry's in Dungarvan are the only places that sell it.

• Advertisement

Bacardi had another RTD too. Think it was Soda Water & Lime? Can't remember the name. We also had Reef which was vodka based and Orange or Pineapple juice flavoured, it wasn't fizzy like others. We also had the Irn Bru WKD :pac:

I don't really remember Madison but Coca Cola still do Appletiser which I guess would be something similar.
    Bacardi Rigo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ah the memories..certainly had a few moussys back in the day and my then non drinking girlfriend always drank madison.
    Mulligan is another one that's disappeared, was some sort of liquor from what i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Back in the day, when i started as a barman in the 80's an apple flavored drink, was a decent seller, talking about it now to few younger lads who never heard of it and ive googled everywhere but can't find anything about it. Im not imagining things am i? :eek:

Looking forward to a Madison, sipping the night away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

lordlame wrote: »
    Don’t forget the football specials

Still on the go, a Donegal beverage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Adyx wrote:
    Britvic own Cidona now.

Britvic 55 was a sophisticated drink of its day too..55% pure orange juice so the ad ran.

And it's just reminded me of PLJ...pure lemon juice which was unbelievably vile as I recall.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Britvic 55 was a sophisticated drink of its day too..55% pure orange juice so the ad ran.

And it's just reminded me of PLJ...pure lemon juice which was unbelievably vile as I recall.

Just reminded me of my mothers pub drink of choice (as a non drinker) - Britvic Pineapple

Got harder and harder to find, I presume as C&C got better control of the mixers market; and I don't know if its that easy to find now that Britvic own that part of the company

C&C sold their soft drink ops in 2007 and ended up with a very similar range of products via Cooneys in 2012 that they haven't sold on yet. Just waiting for them to decided to get back in to whiskey and liquers (or crisps) now :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    And crisps! :P

You got in before my sneaky edit, dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

I think this drink was almond flavour, no? Would love to drink it again.

Advertisement