Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lady & The Tramp Remake (and Disney+ First Look)

• 12-04-2019 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

D37u-wiUIAU9TVU.jpg:large
    To be available on the launch of the Disney+ Service

Disney+ First Look...

D35-aWAUwAAaQ4e.jpg

Starts at about $7 a month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Yeah, I'm gonna need that Lady & The Tramp remake injected directly into my veins ASAP.

I don't really care about Marvel or Star Wars content but I will certainly have to watch this movie as soon as it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

When did Disney buy NatGeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

When is this new service starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

OU812 wrote: »
    When did Disney buy NatGeo?

Murdock bought it a few years ago and it came as part of the Fox takeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

According to CEO Bob Iger, Disney is looking to reimagine the movies Home Alone, Night at the Museum, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Cheaper by the Dozen.

tenor.gif?itemid=7590328

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

El Duda wrote: »
    According to CEO Bob Iger, Disney is looking to reimagine the movies Home Alone, Night at the Museum, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Cheaper by the Dozen.

tenor.gif?itemid=7590328

Id watch a new Home Alone and Night at the Museum , not in the cinema mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus Christ the last Night at the Museum was only 5 years ago. I can't keep up with this endless cycle of pure f*cking greed. It's not even nostalgia baiting anymore, just plain, cynical avarice and I now actively want Disney to implode from it all.

Disney had a policy of DTV (Direct to video) sequels years ago for the majority of their IP. The only reason they abandoned it was the dramatic drop in quality resulted in far poorer sales.

However with the development of streaming, I’d fully expect them to resume it & also expand the universes.

They only have to make the product, no longer have to master, duplicate & distribute cassettes & disks. Couple of million dropped on a product that already has a following will drive subscriptions no end.

Having said that, I’d love to see a reboot of Home Alone with the original cast with Harry & Marve getting out of prison & looking for revenge on Kevin

Night at the museum has massive potential as a universe that can be expanded on too

It’s the likes of Snow White 2: Dopey Boogaloo etc that I’m not looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think I remember seeing Macauley Culkin on one of those video review shows and they had Home Alone 4. Apparently it was meant as a pilot for a series.
    And they've had at least 1 since then.

Having said that, I’d love to see a reboot of Home Alone with the original cast with Harry & Marve getting out of prison & looking for revenge on Kevin

Directed by Jeremy Saulnier :D

• Advertisement

Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ Will be bundled together for $12.99 a month to match Netflix pricing starting in October in the States and the worldwide roll out will start in January and is expected to take 2 years to get worldwide.

No news on when it will hit Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ Will be packed together for $12.99 a month starting in October in the States and the worldwide roll out will start in January and is expected to take 2 years to get worldwide.

No news on when it will hit Ireland.

Presumably no more than the rest, the delay will be down to juggling the rights issue. Hulu isn't available in Ireland and I'm guessing there's dozens of shows airing on terrestrial channels.

Looks good. One of my all-time favourite movies to start with, so looking forward to it. Surprised it's not going to the cinema though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Looks good. One of my all-time favourite movies to start with, so looking forward to it. Surprised it's not going to the cinema though

I was surprised too but they need one big titles for the launch of the service so it makes sense.

Disney have announced that Australia, New Zealand and the Netherlands are getting Disney+ two weeks after it launches in the US and Canada.

I’m very surprised the UK isn’t part of the first group (which I assume would have included us as the we are the same distribution region).

Will Disney release any of the new content on other countries in other ways like blu-ray or TV?

Might Ireland and the UK get The Mandolorian and Lady & the Tramp on DisneyLife ?

Cannot understand why they're not having a simultaneous global rollout/release. They're going to lose millions of subscriptions through torrenting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As far as the UK & Ireland is concerned, they’re tied into a deal with Sky for the moment. There are similar deals in other territories that they have to get themselves out of.

Though if your interest is the “Disney” rather than the “Plus”, Disney Life is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

pixelburp wrote: »
    Presumably no more than the rest, the delay will be down to juggling the rights issue. Hulu isn't available in Ireland and I'm guessing there's dozens of shows airing on terrestrial channels.
    Same might be true for ESPN+ with BT Sport already covering and simulcasting their schedule over here.

I think we might just be getting standard Disney+ ($6.99) if anything plus maybe Freeform and NatGeo hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Cannot understand why they're not having a simultaneous global rollout/release. They're going to lose millions of subscriptions through torrenting.

They certainly will. As others have stated though, I believe there are distribution agreements with Sky and others that need to end (And, I'm sure, won't be renewed).

Going forward however, the biggest concern would be the difference between the different regions content. Especially regarding their movies. Avengers Infinity War was released on US Netflix last Christmas/New Year's but it took another 6 months to come to Europe. This cannot continue in the new platform.

Netflix got away with it because, for many, Netflix is more about TV than movies these days and their TV stuff is more balanced. However Disney is making a HUGE deal about their extremely extensive movie catalogue so if there are glaring omissions then people will not be happy.

Their TV content specifically created for the platform should be the same globally. Europe will actually probably get a backlog of all ABC shows that never made it outside of the US (And there will be a serious amount of crud there.)

Their sports: Hard to say. Licensing has either already been snapped up or Europeans aren't interested.

So, it's not a case of people boycotting it. It will potentially be a case of it simply not being with the cost outside of North America.

Regarding torrenting. This will be their biggest issue alright. Look at their TV lineup. I skews VERY heavily towards the nerd (And I say that as a nerd :) ). All Star Wars or Marvel stuff. When you look at the traditional top downloads this also skews towards the nerd. It's just something that goes back to the days when it was difficult and complex to torrent. But look at 2018 top torrented shows:

1) The Walking Dead
    2) The Flash
    3) The Big Bang Theory
    4) Vikings
    5) Titans
    6) Arrow
    7) Supernatural
    8) Westworld
    9) Legends of Tomorrow
    10) Suits

Tell me in a few years that won't be:
    The Mandalorian
    Obi-Wan
    Falcon & Winter Soldier
    Loki
    The Rogue One thingie

Disney has moved it start date here up a week to March 24th and it will cost €6.99 a month or €69.99 for an annual subscription.

• Advertisement

Already seen The Mandalorian. I think I'll pass on this.

I'd rather give Netflix an extra £5 a month than sign up to Disney.

Advertisement