Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prepare for traffic issues between Williamstown and Ardkeen roundabouts

• 03-08-2019 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Essential upgrade works to the gas network will occur on the R710 Outer Ring Road from Williamstown Roundabout to the Dunmore Road. Works start on Tuesday the 06/08/19. Traffic Management will be in place for the duration and delays can be expected.

Which could mean significant tailbacks on Dunmore road, Williamstown road as well as on the ORR from the west.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Seen a sign for this the other day. Continuing into early September from what I could make out. Why couldn’t they have started this a month ago? When the schools are back in a few weeks, it will be absolute chaos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Seen a sign for this the other day. Continuing into early September from what I could make out. Why couldn’t they have started this a month ago? When the schools are back in a few weeks, it will be absolute chaos!

I thought the sign said works continue until 20/08

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I thought the sign said works continue until 20/08

20th September

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

kuang1 wrote: »
    20th September

Yep, saw the sign earlier - 20 Sep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Let’s wait and see what the work involves. If it’s two lollipop men with walker talkies and stop go signs then yes it could be awful but if traffic can be kept moving in both directions then it should not be too bad. One other thing the big sign doesn’t say exactly where the works will be.....is it just between the hospital roundabout and fearonshooneen roundabout....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Let me guess...... Works will start at 8am, just in time for rush hour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

bookworms wrote: »
    Let me guess...... Works will start at 8am, just in time for rush hour!!

You guessed right!

Large queues there this morning.

Surely they could either start at 10 or do the work at night?

No idea how an ambulance is going to get through there in an emergency seeing as it is one of the major routes to the hospital!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

reni10 wrote: »
    You guessed right!

Large queues there this morning.

Surely they could either start at 10 or do the work at night?

No idea how an ambulance is going to get through there in an emergency seeing as it is one of the major routes to the hospital!

Night time would be the common sense approach but sometimes that never seems to apply. Maybe the cost is the reason. Even if they had started it a month ago it wouldnt of been as bad but to have works when the schools are back is stupid. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Were people available a month ago or were they doing other jobs? Do you believe it's possible to do all work everywhere when school is off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Night work not possible due to Ardkeen apartments. I saw an ambulance thread it's way though this morning, I did wonder why it didn't go into town and turn at the Passage Road roundabout but maybe that wouldn't have been any quicker. I'd certainly not be too happy to risk getting caught up in a mess on the ORR if I were one of the emergency services.

Some angry shouting and horns generally at times, people blocking the roundabout I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Night work not possible due to Ardkeen apartments. I saw an ambulance thread it's way though this morning, I did wonder why it didn't go into town and turn at the Passage Road roundabout but maybe that wouldn't have been any quicker. I'd certainly not be too happy to risk getting caught up in a mess on the ORR if I were one of the emergency services.

Some angry shouting and horns generally at times, people blocking the roundabout I suspect.

A disaster already getting out of Tesco, some people just wont leave a gap on the roundabout to keep traffic flowing away from the backed up side!

JohnC. wrote: »
    Were people available a month ago or were they doing other jobs? Do you believe it's possible to do all work everywhere when school is off?

Who knows eh. Im sure though it can be planned so it is of course possible.

To be fair even if they started at say 1700 and finished around 2230 that wouldn't impact people as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Hospital roundabout to Tesco roundabout this week. Tesco roundabout to Farronshoneen roundabout next week. Onto the outer ring road after that. Works are 7 to 7 each day. At least they will be gone from the busy part by the time the schools are back.

At least on the ORR proper they've got a lane they can contraflow (hopefully)

Hospital roundabout to Tesco roundabout this week. Tesco roundabout to Farronshoneen roundabout next week. Onto the outer ring road after that. Works are 7 to 7 each day. At least they will be gone from the busy part by the time the schools are back.

Ah that sounds like a sensible approach tbf.

So in reality that's only 2 weeks of one way traffic.
    Once past the farronshoneen roundabout no traffic will be at a standstill.
    Can live with that.

Rough going there today... Half the roundabout open only and a 3-way stop go system in place.
    That type of work should be done post 8pm imo.

Still, won't be forever.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Rough going there today... Half the roundabout open only and a 3-way stop go system in place.
    That type of work should be done post 8pm imo.

Still, won't be forever.

Was out that way about 12. Traffic was bad. The idiots who block the roundabouts though are causing some issues as they are blocking traffic from going right.

Yep saw it coming from the east side so it was standard delay whereas traffic was backing up on the dual carriageway on the other side. Top tip from the west - turn off at Airport roundabout and go through St Johns Park, up the Folly and go back out by Passage Road and Dunmore Road.

Talking about this on Deise Today, two weeks to get most work done. The next section is back along the front of GrowHQ to the roundabout. Then from Tesco roundabout to Williamstown road roundabout the following week. This will hit Grow very badly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement