Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non-recreational handgun seizure....

• 04-08-2019 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭

A man from Dublin has been charged with illegally importing firearms after 60 weapons were found in a car arriving in Dover from Calais.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) said the guns were found concealed in a Volkswagen Passat by the Border Force and NCA on Friday.

It is believed to be the largest seizure of lethal-purpose weapons at a UK port.

Robert Keogh, 37, is due to appear at Margate Magistrates' Court on Monday.

The NCA said "there's little doubt that these weapons would have gone on the criminal market and into the hands of seriously dangerous individuals".

It said its investigation into the seizure is ongoing.

Nick Drinkal, regional director of Border Force South East and Europe, said: "The actions of the officers involved in this event have undoubtedly saved many lives."

Makes one wonder if they weren't just 'passing through' on their way to Ireland.....:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

tac foley wrote: »
    A man from Dublin has been charged with illegally importing firearms after 60 weapons were found in a car arriving in Dover from Calais.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) said the guns were found concealed in a Volkswagen Passat by the Border Force and NCA on Friday.

It is believed to be the largest seizure of lethal-purpose weapons at a UK port.

The NCA said "there's little doubt that these weapons would have gone on the criminal market and into the hands of seriously dangerous individuals".

Nick Drinkal, regional director of Border Force South East and Europe, said: "The actions of the officers involved in this event have undoubtedly saved many lives."

Makes one wonder if they weren't just 'passing through' on their way to Ireland.....:confused:

More questions left than there are answers at the moment for sure.

I have one question though, how many similar shipments have made it through either into the UK or ireland ?

The criminal fraternity definitely doesn't seem to be stuck for a gun our two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I have one question though, how many similar shipments have made it through either into the UK or ireland ?

There really is absolutely NO WAY of ever knowing.:mad:

There really is absolutely NO WAY of ever knowing.:mad:

I think any thinking security minded person would have to say quite a few if you see that fairly well looked after and fully functional relatively modern handguns and no shortage of ammunition are available quite readily to street level scum.

Look it tac, the UK and Ireland both have some draconian anti terrorism legislation still on the books from days gone by. I would suggest to use every last letter of it against organised crime. Organised crime is as nefarious as terrorism. You could argue that it has political and governance repercussions as well.

I think that the level of policing necessary, let alone the technological assistance from mega-X-ray machines at ports of entry, would not be possible to sustain for any length of time.

Of course it wouldn't, the cost would run into millions in no time. I wouldn't suggest it either, I don't believe in fairytales.

The only thing I'm suggesting is a bit more of an outside the box sort of thinking in tackling the problem.

A moment of brilliance like what happened when the concept of the Criminal Assets Bureau was developed would be nice.

Look at the effects of reintroducing stop & search on knife crime in certain areas for example, absolute success.

People in some quarters will whinge and whine but as far as I'm concerned it's their problem if they prefer to go to the funerals of stabbed teenagers rather than letting law enforcement stop the killings from happening as would be the preference of most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Look at the effects of reintroducing stop & search on knife crime in certain areas for example, absolute success.

People in some quarters will whinge and whine but as far as I'm concerned it's their problem if they prefer to go to the funerals of stabbed teenagers rather than letting law enforcement stop the killings from happening as would be the preference of most.

But those whingers, Khan, Lammy, Abbott etc, were successful at having stop and search stopped, and yet the same ones then complained bitterly when people, usually in their community get stabbed :confused:.

As for guns getting in here illegally, Whitey Bulger and Gaddafi were able to get them in here by the boatload, literally, and they were not bringing in Feinwerkbau's or benelli's for olympic shooting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

It's probably part of the pre-brexit Boris bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Blithering TIT is what he was.
    Why didnt he take the direct ferry from France to Ireland?Been less risk and ony two checkpoints to survive rather than the possibility of four with the UK?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hat tip for the Non-recreational choice of title.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

:)

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Why didnt he take the direct ferry from France to Ireland?Been less risk and ony two checkpoints to survive rather than the possibility of four with the UK?

Smart criminals don't often get caught. Prisons are full of stupid ones.

The gentleman in the case that I was working on was black, and in possession of no less than SIXTEEN passports and driving licences, ranging from Jamaica, which, given his tegumental chromatology, was not unreasonable, to one from The Netherlands, European and DEI Surinam again, not unreasonable.

However, the Icelandic one gave us a bit of a jolt.

All, of them, including one from each of the British passport offices, were genuine items. Now how did THAT happen?

The gentleman in the case that I was working on was black, and in possession of no less than SIXTEEN passports and driving licences, ranging from Jamaica, which, given his tegumental chromatology, was not unreasonable, to one from The Netherlands, European and DEI Surinam again, not unreasonable.

All, of them, including one from each of the British passport offices, were genuine items. Now how did THAT happen?

Depending on how long ago it was,a possible
    "Day of the Jackal dead baby" legend?
    Was common here for awhile even in Ireland up to the mid late 1990s.Only really became exposed when we were "culturally enriched"by scam artists and welfare cheats from Africa and more Eastern East bloc countries.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yes Charles Darwin had a theory about that, it turns out it was true.

In the days before far reaching digitalisation and information sharing it probably wasn't that hard to do. A handful of stolen passports and a skillful forger would have sorted it. Up until recently, I don't know if they've changed yet, a child could have forged an official Italian ID card.

In the days before far reaching digitalisation and information sharing it probably wasn't that hard to do. A handful of stolen passports and a skillful forger would have sorted it. Up until recently, I don't know if they've changed yet, a child could have forged an official Italian ID card.

This was in 2003 not the 19th century.:cool:

This was in 2003 not the 19th century.:cool:

If memory serves me right wasn't that just before the widespread introduction of the biometric ones ?

Around the time an Israeli hit squad used a few Irish passports methinks?

Sure Irish passports are being handed out like confetti at a wedding anyway. They will be giving them away free in every box of cornflakes soon.

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    Sure Irish passports are being handed out like confetti at a wedding anyway. They will be giving them away free in every box of cornflakes soon.

Yup. Even I have one.

But I am legally entitled to it...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Would the fact he was a convicted con-artist in Ireland raise any flag with UK border authorities?
    Were all 60 guns converted blank firing models?

More than likely.They are made by a Turkish company. http://www.retaygun.com/urun/en/69_retay-baron-hk.html Who build these to be converted to live fire from the word go!!There are whole shops in Yemen and Pakistan who do this work using drilling machines,so they will fire .380

Advertisement