Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let's discuss salads.

• 04-08-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

Around this time every year (after coming back from holiday destinations) I always have my interest in salad's rekindled.

It's when you get to the continent and see the locals having their small salad's with their meals in place of spuds or chips that you tend to see over here, that you stop and wonder who's got it right.

I've started to bring salads to work now instead of eating out, or bringing sandwiches etc, and tbh, it's a no brainer. Healthier, and much more tasty.

Maybe in this thread people can share their salad tips, how they prepare them, what's in them, dressings etc.

No photos, but this is my method and what I normally use.

Gem lettuce, washed and leaves torn off.
    Couple of scallions, washed and topped/tailed.
    Radishes, washed and topped and tailed then finely sliced.
    Tomatoes either cherry or plum doesn't really matter
    QTR of a cucumber, sliced.
    Shall bunch of corriander to sprinkle over the top (optional)

So I finely chop the lettuce and set it aside on the board, then slice everything else up finely, mix it well with the lettuce and then go through it all again with your knife. Adding corriander at the end.

Dressing, juice of a lemon or a lime, then the exact same amount of olive oil and salt and pepper, shake well to combine the oil/citrus, this will keep in the fridge for a week or so.

Sometimes I'll chop up a bit of meat I usually have left over from the days dinner, and maybe a boiled egg to go with it too. Mixing in a tin of drained tuna/salmon or other oily fish can be delicious too.

Salad's will keep for a few days in the fridge so long as you don't dress it, so only apply the dressing when you're ready to eat otherwise it'll go soggy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Oh Jesus! A Salad in the fridge for a week?
    After a day I'd have silage!
    I'm afraid for me a salad is a Cos/Romaine lettuce, torn to large flitters, chopped tomatoes, sometimes scallions, olive oil, salt, sometimes vinegar, mixed by hand and eaten at the end of the meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Oh Jesus! A Salad in the fridge for a week?

No, you will have to reread the post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

This would make wood chippings taste good. Fantastic dressing.

13975011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=55eab18863d7abce34698495958af6bb

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I like black eye beans in salads.
    Popular in the med.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Some toasted nuts are great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

sorry, yes, I re-read. a few days not dressed.
    Generally for me salads aren't the main part of the meal, except if it is a rice salad - loads of diced cooked veg, tuna, boiled eggs, chopped hot dogs/wurster, capers olives, mayo.
    another one I like as part of the meal is the greek salad, feta, cucumbers, red onion tomatoes, mint oregano thyme. lashings of oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Adding an apostrophe spoils salads. Leave it behind at the greengrocers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I would be starving if I didn't include some carbs in my salad so I would usually have some roasted sweet potato wedges or some couscous (with added lemon juice and pomegranite seeds).
    As a base I use some mixed leaves, spring onion, peppers and cucumber. I would usually add chicken, turkey, boiled egg or tinned tuna. I love a simple balsamic vinegar dressing or caeser if I am eating out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I usually have the pea shoot salad or spinach/rocket/watercress bags of leaves from Aldi or M&S in the fridge. Lambs lettuce is another favourite.

Put leaves into a bowl, add cherry tomatoes and spring onions. Maybe crumble some feta or blue cheese. Toss with a little oil and white balsamic. Or alternatively shake honey, mustard, a little olive oil and lemon juice in a jam jar and dress the salad.

Grill meat - chicken, steak, prawns etc, slice and put on top of the dressed salad, then a scattering of flaked salt or rock salt. Tinned tuna is another quick fix.

Another salad favorite is to take cucumber, slice off the skin, deseed and then chop up. Chop cherry tomatoes and mix with the cucumber, oil, white sweet vinegar, dried herbs, salt & pepper. Simple but delicious.

Or also take the peeled cucumber, smash lightly with the back of the knife, then dress with sesame oil, soy and garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

As long as there’s scallions in the salad I’m happy, otherwise I find salads really bland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

OP

Would have something similar but without the corriander which I find vile tasting.

I bring an avocado and add at last minute with dressing. Sometimes mix a bit of quinoa through it

I have the chopped cucumber with skin and seeds. Why do some people deseed? Leaves very little left.

Oh and go very handy with dressing, it can undue all the intended good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭This is it

Happy4all wrote: »
    OP

Would have something similar but without the corriander which I find vile tasting.

I bring an avocado and add at last minute with dressing. Sometimes mix a bit of quinoa through it

I have the chopped cucumber with skin and seeds. Why do some people deseed? Leaves very little left.

This is my problem :( try to be good but I lace the salad in dressing and undo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'll often add sliced apple, kidney beans, chick peas, sweetcorn, almonds or cashews, pineapple chunks. I like slices of peppered salami too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Iceberg lettuce, homegrown cucumber/peppers/tomatoes, beetroot, coleslaw, potatoe salad, scallions, onion and feta cheese. Caesar dressing, heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Around this time every year (after coming back from holiday destinations) I always have my interest in salad's rekindled.

It's when you get to the continent and see the locals having their small salad's with their meals in place of spuds or chips that you tend to see over here, that you stop and wonder who's got it right.

I've started to bring salads to work now instead of eating out, or bringing sandwiches etc, and tbh, it's a no brainer. Healthier, and much more tasty.

Maybe in this thread people can share their salad tips, how they prepare them, what's in them, dressings etc.

No photos, but this is my method and what I normally use.

Gem lettuce, washed and leaves torn off.
    Couple of scallions, washed and topped/tailed.
    Radishes, washed and topped and tailed then finely sliced.
    Tomatoes either cherry or plum doesn't really matter
    QTR of a cucumber, sliced.
    Shall bunch of corriander to sprinkle over the top (optional)

So I finely chop the lettuce and set it aside on the board, then slice everything else up finely, mix it well with the lettuce and then go through it all again with your knife. Adding corriander at the end.

Dressing, juice of a lemon or a lime, then the exact same amount of olive oil and salt and pepper, shake well to combine the oil/citrus, this will keep in the fridge for a week or so.

Sometimes I'll chop up a bit of meat I usually have left over from the days dinner, and maybe a boiled egg to go with it too. Mixing in a tin of drained tuna/salmon or other oily fish can be delicious too.

Salad's will keep for a few days in the fridge so long as you don't dress it, so only apply the dressing when you're ready to eat otherwise it'll go soggy.

I usually use iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, feta cheese and either some cooked Cajun chicken or Cajun ham.
    For a dressing I'll drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil, malt vinegar and salt and give the lot a good toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Chopped Walnuts and blue cheese folks... that’s where heaven is at in any of my salads.

Really need some healthy dressing recipes though....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Toast some walnuts or pine nuts, mix in a bowl with oil and some honey for a dressing. Fresh figs (if you can get them), some ricotta or buffalo mozzarella and some sweet tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Basic spoon salad, is a large chopped tomato, stick of celery and bit of onion: cut all quite small, (around raisin size) mix together in bowl.
    Then add the same sized cubes of whatever protein, often ham.
    Then the juice of a half a lemon, salt, pepper, fresh or dried herb, and a spoonful of best olive oil.
    Stir together and leave it to mellow:
    Within half an hour the juice runs and the flavours blend. Eat from bowl with a spoon.

This has been my lunchtime standby for many a long year.
    The better the tomato, the better the salad. (grow your own if you can)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Happy4all wrote: »
    OP

Oh no, I'm a man who very much loves his corriander, curry, chilli, chow mein, guacamole, I love the stuff.

But I'm the same as you ref cucumber, love the stuff, seeds skin and all.

As for the dressing, keep it light with the citrus juice/olive oil mixture. Or simply just go with balsamic vinegar honey and soy sauce.

My wife loves the following as her salad, goats cheese/wlanut/beetroot and mixed leaves. She keeps it simple with a splash of balsamic.

My salads are always cut into as small a piece as I can get them, not quite as small as your get in the likes of chopped (don't have their utensils) but as small as I can get using a good chef's knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Two crunchy, healthy and filling salads that are a staple in Casa Storker...

Waldorf Salad...as easy as Fawlty Towers made it sound (without the drama).

Chopped apple and celery. Add grapes, whatever colour you like. Mix up with mayo, serve on a bed of lettuce. Add walnuts (chopped and sprinkled if you're weight-watching - uses less segments).

Storker's Sunshine Salad

1 tin of sweetcorn, 1 chopped red pepper, 1 chopped orange or yellow pepper*, 1 chopped onion (red or white), 1 good-sized chopped carrot. This will give a good bowl of salad which will last a few days but don't add any dressing until you're actually going to use it. Works well with French or Italian dressing. by itself or with lettuce.

*Green works too...actually you can mix up the pepper colours any way you want. I just find that the yellow and red looks nice and sunny.

Also...Kitchen-sink Caesar salad...the standard recipe but with cooked chicken and grilled bacon and cherry tomatoes and boiled egg. It's a meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I often eat salad as a side, less often as a main. Dressing is simple: olive oil, wine or cider vinegar (not balsamic unless I'm doing beetroot) salt and sometimes pepper. I despise mayo dressings and I have yet to come accross a shop bought dressing that's not pretty revolting.

Current favourite is grated carrot and chopped mint because we have loads of it in the garden. It's perfect for bbqs. Greek salad is also made weekly. Lambs lettuce works well with choped boiled egg. Iceberg or cos I make by itself or add radishes. Tuna and corn also goes well with it and then it works as a meal on it's own. I never chop leuttice leaves, I just tear them into manageable size and discard harder stalks. Overly chopping lettuce just makes it wilted. I never overload soft lettuce leaves for the same reason. It might be where I grew up but I feel most salads benefit with decent kick of vinegar or they are too bland. Baked baby beetroot with rocket and goats cheese is lovely (with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper). Tabbouleh is another favourite, I like it with pomegranate seeds and loads of lemon instead of vinegar. French bean salad is nice and there I usually add mustard and chopped shallots to the dressing.

As rule any bbq meat will be pared with salad to provide acidic and lighter vegetable contrast to heavier foods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tin of sweetcorn, chopped up red and green peppers, small bag of Manhattan peanuts.
    Mix and scoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

spurious wrote: »
    Tin of sweetcorn, chopped up red and green peppers, small bag of Manhattan peanuts.
    Mix and scoff.

I can't digest peanuts. I am tempted some evenings but lie awake in bed with stomach cramps all night.

I seem to forget this when they are put in a bowl in front of me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like a salad of fresh green beans and mangetout, maybe sugar snap peas or any other greens in season. I'll steam them for a short time or microwave them, then put them on rocket with cherry tomatoes and red onion. Hellmans do a lovely fat free vinaigrette and I often use that with added lemon juice. I also use honey & balsamic vinegar a lot on salads.

On the subject of cucumber, it gives me fierce indigestion unless it's pickled - and I have pickled cucumber on the side of almost every salad. Pickled radishes are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Chopped Walnuts and blue cheese folks... that’s where heaven is at in any of my salads.

Drastically increases the calories though

My current favourite is,
    Rocket leaves, palma ham or prosciutto pieces, cooked beetroot cut into small squares & lots of blue cheese sprinkled over the top.
    Dressing is merely balsamic vinegar & olive oil drizzled over the top.
    Yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’m afraid I can only eat salads with a steak and a few chips or chicken and chips.
    Salads are nice but on their own I’m hungry again in a half-hour.
    So if anyone has a salad that fills then I’d like to hear about it plaease.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I LOVE salads and pretty much live on them during the summer. Would easily have one for lunch and another for dinner several times a week. We go through bags and bags of baby spinach i our house.

I always add a protein, tandoori steak or lamb souvlaki are my current favourites. Always add cashews to those. Black pudding and roasted radish was also eaten to death this summer. Onions are non-negotiable - scallions from the garden at the moment. I also nearly always have a big bowl of what I call rough pickle in the fridge and it's great in salads: a punnet of cherry tomatoes, quartered, a bag of radishes, topped & tailed and quartered, throw them in a bowl with a finely chopped chilli, the juice of a lime, some chopped mint and coriander, add a good pinch of sugar, salt and pepper and mix. Keeps for a week or so.

Dressing-wise I keep it simple. Can't stand oily dressings so I generally just squeeze over a wedge of lemon or lime, or drizzle over some salted cumin yoghurt.

Other great additions are halloumi, sweet potato, a million different types of quinoa. I could go on for days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

This thread really needs some photos of as many of the above descriptions sound delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Muppet Man wrote: »

Actually I just thought of tgat one with pear and some rocket leaves.

Darina Allen has some great recepies in her big recepie book (I can't think of a name). A bit of choped onion garlic and grated ginger fried gently, add to that a tin of chickpeas, juice and grate lemon and cook for s bit, add smoked paprika a bit of cumin an chopped coriander and good bit of olive oil and it's lovely.

Another one which is at least inspired by her recepies is grated carrots, sliced olives and chopped coriander, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Advertisement