Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meanwhile, back in the FUN corner.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd be bankrupt from the 9mm ammo for that here. Also,be right craic on a range with a dictatorial Fudd RO making sure of the" one shot every 30 secs "rule:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

All you need is the basic $5000 - and that HAS to be cheap for what it is, right? Unlimited ammunition - not hard in the USA, TBH, and your own ranges. Again, not that hard. I get to shoot on some private land in Oregon where everything I can see belongs to the one farmer. That's about three miles all round...his other ranch, on the Nevada border, is just over 85,000 acres.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Most people would be delighted with that. So why is it the first thing i think of is adding an electric motor? :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

That's exactly what General Electic did, back in the day, using a 45-70 Govt calibre Gatling gun from the collection. They actually got it up to around 5000 rounds per minute - maybe more, before they had had enough to convince them that the future aircraft cannon was looking at them right there.

They rehashed a few details, tweaked a few minor things, and behold - the GE 20mm Vulcan cannon.

Still in use today.

Cass wrote: »
    Most people would be delighted with that. So why is it the first thing i think of is adding an electric motor? :D

And they warn you specifically against doing such in the videoo...:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Durnit.

Now,if they could make it in 22...:p

Look up Tippman, and see what they made before 1986 ruined it all.... Even a Browning M2 that fired .22 Rimfire Mag..... :=/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

tac foley wrote: »

They rehashed a few details, tweaked a few minor things, and behold - the GE 20mm Vulcan cannon.

Still in use today.

That 30mm gau-8 gatling used in the A10 Warthog must be the most chilling sounding thing i have ever heard. To be on the receiving end of one of those cannot be much in the way of fun.

Back a few years to around 1990, when we had an A-10 squadron on our local base, among other things. Because I was on TDY there, I got a ride in the back seat of their trainer to Holbeach ranges on the coast here in East Anglia. So I got to hear and feel the 'panic machine' from REALLY close-up.

Unforgettable in every way imaginable.

• Advertisement

It is an awsome beast alright.When I was in flight training in Scottsdale ,a lifetime ago.There was an airsghow there and you could really get up close&personal to a whole rake of Americas finest military planes. You get a real good impression of what that thing can do if you are standing a foot away from its muzzles and can fit your index finger into one of them.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

tac foley wrote: »
    Back a few years to around 1990, when we had an A-10 squadron on our local base, among other things. Because I was on TDY there, I got a ride in the back seat of their trainer to Holbeach ranges on the coast here in East Anglia. So I got to hear and feel the 'panic machine' from REALLY close-up.

Unforgettable in every way imaginable.

Must have been some rattle going up through your backside and into your teeth...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Is that thing not fitted in certain versions of the F-16 and a rake of other fixed wing military aircraft as well ?

It would fairly rip up the average main street and everything on it in a few seconds alright....

The 20mm Vulcan cannon is still in service in many front-line aircraft, for both anti-air and ground attack use, hence the switchable fire rates.

As for being in the A-10 at the time of firing, all you feel is the amazing deceleration from the recoil - you hardly hear the sound at all.......the usual training burst is 140 rounds, which can fired at a variable rate, usually 4000 rpm.

As we have all seen over the years, that can really grab your attention.

Advertisement