Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is wrong with some people?

• 02-08-2019 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Today, driving through my small town, traffic was fairly busy as is always the case on Fridays. Car in front of me stops and puts car into reverse as he wants to parallel park. No problem I said, so I put my own car into reverse to give him enough space to do so.
    The car behind me though....would not budge an inch despite me clearly displaying my reverse lights. So I kept reversing slowly towards him. Then car behind me proceeds to blow the horn at me for this?! Like hello I actually need you to move back for me I dont know what your blowing your horn at me for it should be me beeping at you. He still has not moved back himself, to allow me to move back, to allow the car in front of me to move back into the parking pace. I couldnt just over take the car in front of me either as street was too narrow and lots of oncoming traffic. What a horriffic bastard.

What would you have done in this situation?

Comments

Some sad people just love the feeling of power it gives them when they won't budge to oblige you.

I'd probably get out and stand beside my door and wave him back with my hand and just stare him out of it until he is shamed into reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Pineapple1 wrote: »

Reversed as far as I could.
    Think about plans for bank holiday weekend.
    Wait until driver in front either parked or drives off.
    Carry on my journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Parallel parkers that don't indicate in good time should be blocked !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not been so close to the car in front that you can't stop in time to allow enough space for them to park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

mikeymouse wrote:
    Parallel parkers that don't indicate in good time should be blocked !

True! But imo I think what the guy behind was doing (or not doing) was a lot more shameful than the guy in front of me who just wanted to park their car when spaces were already hard to come by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Could the driver behind you even see what was going on immediately in front of you?
    Was there another vehicle right behind him?

Wasnt right up his back passage if thats what you reckon. I must agree though hindsight is a wonderful thing. Guy in front of me actually passed up the space by a bit but me being a considerate person allowed him the grace to move back in.

Addle wrote:
    Could the driver behind you even see what was going on immediately in front of you? Was there another vehicle right behind him?

Yes. And No.

Wasnt right up his back passage if thats what you reckon. I must agree though hindsight is a wonderful thing isnt it.

Would have been wonderful for the driver behind you too.
    Your moan is completely unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

maybe the beeper didn't realise what you were doing and thought you were just sitting there.
    not supporting him/her btw. hate beepers but some people just dont think.

• Advertisement

Addle wrote:
    Would have been wonderful for the driver behind you too. Your moan is completely unreasonable.

Wonderful for what? For him to not be diffucult to not only me but the person in front of me? Your answer is completely unreasonable.

Wonderful for what? For him to not be diffucult to not only me but the person in front of me? Your answer is completely unreasonable.

He wasn’t causing an unnecessary difficulty.

Addle wrote:
    He wasn’t causing an unnecessary difficulty.

Did you even read the OP? He was being about as unnecessary as a driver could possibly be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's this simple; people become more antisocial when they get behind the wheel of a car; and it's largely to do with the methods of communication with other drivers being shut off to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Did you even read the OP? He was being about as unnecessary as a driver could possibly be.
    Was it a little beep to let you know he was there,
    or a BEEP BEEP BEEP to tell you to proceed please?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Steve wrote:
    Not been so close to the car in front that you can't stop in time to allow enough space for them to park?

In slowly moving congested traffic, simply not practicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gas gas gas, honk honk honk, punch punch punch.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Wasnt right up his back passage if thats what you reckon. I must agree though hindsight is a wonderful thing. Guy in front of me actually passed up the space by a bit but me being a considerate person allowed him the grace to move back in.

I agree hindsight is great - and you learn lots from it.

I read a book 20 years ago about 'tactical' driving, the one thing that stuck in my head was 'always have a means of escape'. That translates to the lane you're in and the space you leave in front. It's total whimsy I know but the tips stuck in my head way back then and now I just do them automatically..

Sorry for going OT.

Steve wrote:

Steve wrote:
    I read a book 20 years ago about 'tactical' driving, the one thing that stuck in my head was 'always have a means of escape'. That translates to the lane you're in and the space you leave in front. It's total whimsy I know but the tips stuck in my head way back then and now I just do them automatically..

Steve wrote:
    Sorry for going OT.

Yes totally agree....we learn as best we can from these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Steve wrote: »

Sorry for going OT.

"Road and rubber" or "tyre and tarmac" is how I was taught.

Always be able to see both and you'll have a means of getting out of where you are.

Not always practical, admittedly, but it's ingrained habit at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If someone needs a line of traffic behind them to reverse so they can get in to a parking space, they've missed it........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I often indicate in plenty of time to reverse parallel park and still drivers behind seem oblivious to what's happening and continue to drive up so far to block the space.

Now I normally indicate for the space and stop directly parallel to it, until the drive behind is stopped, then move forward again before reversing in.

In the ops case maybe the driver behind knew you needed to come back and already had his car in reverse but was waiting for the car behine them.... who had there car in reverse and was waiting............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Seriously. Do we have to start a thread for every little inconsequential event that happens in our lives now?

I'll have to take someone on!

Seriously. Do we have to start a thread for every little inconsequential event that happens in our lives now?

Old news.

Pineapple1 wrote:
    Old news.

If it was a bit of old news it might be interesting

If it was a bit of old news it might be interesting

If your post made any sense...

Pineapple1 wrote:
    If your post made any sense...

Haha. Your quick on the reply. Fair play

Haha. Your quick on the reply. Fair play

Haha indeed ;)

Pineapple1 wrote:
    Haha indeed

Alright. Let's just go and get ready to beat Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Some people are so courteous on the road they abandon all logic, common sense and safety. I’m not sure what the exact situation was, but I would have beeped you as well if I couldn’t reverse. For all you know there was a buggy (extreme example) behind him waiting to cross.

The clown in front of you can’t expect the whole street to reverse because he decides too late that he’d like to pull in.

Advertisement