Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JP McManus Pro-Am

• 27-01-2018 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

What are yere thoughts on the announcement of the pro am. Will u be trying to qualify or will it be too expensive ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Fair play JP.... should be lining up a Ryder Cup as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

What are yere thoughts on the announcement of the pro am. Will u be trying to qualify or will it be too expensive ??

How do you try and qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

How do you try and qualify?

Charitable organisations will be allowed to hold pre-qualifiers over the next 2 years. Minimum entry fee will be 100 euro but it does include a 2 day entrance cap to watch the Pro-Am

For every 12.5k raised at the pre-qualifier, 1 team will go forward to the grand qualifier to be played in Adare. From there the top few teams will get in to the Pro-Am

The pre-qualifying format is obviously designed to combat teams of bandits dominating
    - Played as Singles Stableford with all scores returned to clubs
    - Handicap limits of 18 for men apply. 24 for women
    - Then teams of 3 are drawn at random
    - 2 scores per hole to count for the team total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Sounds like a great event. Fairplay and it will be a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The scrubber

paulos53 wrote: »
    Charitable organisations will be allowed to hold pre-qualifiers over the next 2 years. Minimum entry fee will be 100 euro but it does include a 2 day entrance cap to watch the Pro-Am

For every 12.5k raised at the pre-qualifier, 1 team will go forward to the grand qualifier to be played in Adare. From there the top few teams will get in to the Pro-Am

The pre-qualifying format is obviously designed to combat teams of bandits dominating
    - Played as Singles Stableford with all scores returned to clubs
    - Handicap limits of 18 for men apply. 24 for women
    - Then teams of 3 are drawn at random
    - 2 scores per hole to count for the team total

So does that mean even if u have the best score on the day and you are paired wit two people who have poor scores u mightn’t qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

So does that mean even if u have the best score on the day and you are paired wit two people who have poor scores u mightn’t qualify.

no. your team is split up before play so you can't "arrange" your score. thought this wasn't happening until 2020.

no. your team is split up before play so you can't "arrange" your score. thought this wasn't happening until 2020.

Oh right so u can pick your own team u just don’t play together. That’s a great idea keeps things honest. The pro am is 2020 but I think qualifiers are starting this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

That’s a great idea keeps things honest.
    Well as honest as the organisers can make it anyway. You'll still have plenty of teams of lads who all have "managed" handicaps, I.e. ~10 shots higher than they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

The teams are picked at random for this event

Ya granted but at least you can try and qualify with your own buddies. It wouldn’t be as enjoyable if you were paired with two strangers. Not that we’ll probably qualify anyway !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭techdiver

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but couldn't find anything more recent.

So I played one of the pre qualifiers a while back and the qualification criteria was teams of 3 randomly selected to go forward to the final qualifier in Adare next May. I was one of the lucky ones to get drawn in the winning team from my pre qualifier. Getting a free round in Adare is already a fairly big prize considering the price or a round there (I won't be getting a practice round in anyway :D ). One question I have is does anyone know how many teams will actually qualify to the pro am proper from the final qualifier. There are no details on the official site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I didn't realise that the list of confirmed pros was so good. Will definitely book a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

A year away, but looking forward to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that the list of confirmed pros was so good. Will definitely book a ticket!

The lineup will be the best you will get in Europe outside the British Open .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Booked myself an early bird ticket, line up is unreal. Wonder if Kuchar is looking for a caddy!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Booked my tickets last night:)

Will be interesting to see where it falls relative to the Irish Open. It's date is still very much up in the air being an Olympic and Ryder Cup year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Booked a cap myself this morning too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Going to get a ticket for this but was wondering is there any difference in the colour of the cap you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

paulie21 wrote: »
    Going to get a ticket for this but was wondering is there any difference in the colour of the cap you buy?

Nope, just choose which colour you prefer!

Tickets now sold out according to their Twitter feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I heard they were averaging 100 tickets per day and on the day the Ryder cup was announced they sold 2500.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I heard they were averaging 100 tickets per day and on the day the Ryder cup was announced they sold 2500.

There are still some of the pre-Qualifiers on which are not bad value. €100 for entry and you get the cap with that. Most places you have lunch included too. Dromoland, Limerick, Cashen all have them in the next month or two

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There are still some of the pre-Qualifiers on which are not bad value. €100 for entry and you get the cap with that. Most places you have lunch included too. Dromoland, Limerick, Cashen all have them in the next month or two

Pre-qualifier details

https://www.jpmcmanusproam.com/events/

I wouldn't mind the Cashen one if anyone is thinking of going...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I bought mine that day as I had a feeling that would peak interest in the event

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Keano wrote: »
    I bought mine that day as I had a feeling that would peak interest in the event

Same here,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I’m pretty sure the pre qualifiers are sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Same happened ten years ago if I remember rightly, there was a rerelease nearer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Delighted to see Mark Tighe (FAI journalist) has moved onto JP McManus.

Always hated this shake down of the tax exiles so the locals can dip their head.

All the pros running around for him too.

In Sunday Times today.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Delighted to see Mark Tighe (FAI journalist) has moved onto JP McManus.

Always hated this shake down of the tax exiles so the locals can dip their head.

All the pros running around for him too.

In Sunday Times today.

Interesting. Have you a link please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This is a golf forum so let’s stick to talking about just that! Thanks

Advertisement