Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day Trip - Things to do

• 30-07-2019 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people from Waterford would recommend on a day trip to the city, thinking Waterford Crystal, and wondering is it worth paying into Medieval Museum/Bishop's Palace/Reginald's Tower? Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Just wondering what people from Waterford would recommend on a day trip to the city, thinking Waterford Crystal, and wondering is it worth paying into Medieval Museum/Bishop's Palace/Reginald's Tower? Any other suggestions are appreciated!

All these are excellent. I think that joint ticketing may be available for them. Check in Bishop's Palace reception. I have brought relations recently to Bishop's Palace and Medieval museum and they all loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I'd say this would be interesting:

https://waterfordwalls.ie/art-trail/

You could also look up the locations for yourself and just wander from one to the next. It's the gritty Waterford rather than the pretty Waterford, but that has its own appeal, and the artworks are class.

The museums are really good too, and I think you can get a single ticket for all of them, maybe the Crystal tour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

The 3D Viking experience is great. Really recommend.

Also have a tea in The Vintage Tea Rooms - such a special place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The 3D Viking experience is great. Really recommend.

Also have a tea in The Vintage Tea Rooms - such a special place.

Viking thing a definite, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Go to the Spraoi festival; it's coming up very soon. Always a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Check out Urban Axe Throwing http://axejunkies.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Check out Urban Axe Throwing http://axejunkies.ie

Awesome. I had no idea this was a thing in Waterford. Will be checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,702 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The FAI national football exhibition is in city hall from 2nd-11th Aug

https://www.discoverireland.ie/Whats-On/the-national-football-exhibition/520324

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Another vote for the vr viking experience from me ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

Having recently had a week off to explore the tourist sites of Waterford after 2 years living here, I can absolutely vouch for the Medieveal Museum which was a fascinating and very interesting place, I learned a lot about the history of Waterford and managed to clock up nearly 3 hours there! I did the Crystal Tour as well which was fantastic too, they make such a huge effort to keep this part of the city alive. I did the walk with Jack Burchell (I think that's his name) which was also very enlightening.

Regarding the beaches, Tramore is nice for a long walk but a bit too crowded for me. Only up the road, Annestown has a great cliff walk and Kilfarrasey was a very peaceful spot, then again it helps that I was there on a windy Tuesday morning! As for food, I personally don't rate Geoffs I must say, as unpopular as that opinion is. and not even for the food or drink. The staff exude a pompous vibe and a few are outright rude. Its like they think they are better than you because they work in the divine Geoffs. Coming from Cork, I can name a few places 10 times "cooler" than Geoffs with staff who actually have some manners. I would recommend No 9 or The Granville Hotel for some great food. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Flow Motion

[QUOTE= I personally don't rate Geoffs I must say, as unpopular as that opinion is. and not even for the food or drink. The staff exude a pompous vibe and a few are outright rude. Its like they think they are better than you because they work in the divine Geoffs. Coming from Cork, I can name a few places 10 times "cooler" than Geoffs with staff who actually have some manners.[/QUOTE]

:D:D:D Geoffs always had that cooler than thou vibe. Remembering the days when it was a smaller pub and you had to queue to get in. If you passed the cool test. Have fond memories of the place all said. But as you say there are plenty of other nice pubs in town these days : Gradys Yard, J+K Walshs, Tullys, Vintage Parlour, Jordans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

:D:D:D Geoffs always had that cooler than thou vibe. Remembering the days when it was a smaller pub and you had to queue to get in. If you passed the cool test. Have fond memories of the place all said. But as you say there are plenty of other nice pubs in town these days : Gradys Yard, J+K Walshs, Tullys, Vintage Parlour, Jordans.

Well if there is one place I'd say away from his the reg. Staff seriously look so pissed off working there. Not a nice vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

Ah I see. Queueing up for a place probably gave it notions plus I find a lot of pubs that are so centrally located can afford to not give a fcuk about customer service as Geoffs do.

A lovely pub is the Crafstsman on Paddy Brown Road, I know its out of the city a bit but ive been there a few times now for food and to watch a match. Lovely quiet pub with friendly locals who don't put in or out on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Thanks for all the suggestions, went to the Medieval Museum and Bishop's Palace, had the tour of Waterford Crystal booked but didn't realise visits to Bishop's Palace are by tour only so ran out of time and didn't get to go to Waterford Crystal, went for breakfast in the Granary Cafe which was nothing special, and went for dinner in the Granville Hotel which was nice.

Advertisement