Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer Won't Cancel Annual Pass Taxsaver

• 31-05-2018 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm finishing up with my current employer whilst still having 3 months left to run on my annual rail pass.

I asked could it be cancelled for the remaining 3 months but was told this would have to paid from final net salary.

Just wondering if this is allowed? and are the right in saying this can't be cancelled?

Just going by what I've read on the taxsaver website which seems to suggest this can be cancelled.
    Iarnród Éireann/Dublin Bus

* Please note that Annual products are based on a 10 month rate, with two months free and this discount is withdrawn if the ticket is cancelled so the refund/credit is based on the regular monthly rate by the number of months used.
    * Your Annual ticket/card must be returned to Iarnród Éireann/Dublin Bus from your employer by Registered Post or Courier no later that 5th of the month.
    * If you cancel your DART/Commuter Rail, Dublin Bus Only, Short Hop Rail & Dublin Bus, Rail & Luas or Dublin Bus & Luas ticket/card before ten months have expired then you may be due a refund on your ticket.
    * If you cancel your Point-Point Intercity ticket before ten months have expired then you may be due a refund.
    * Annual Tickets purchased through the taxsaver Commuter Scheme normally have employer conditions that can vary from company to company. It is advisable to seek clarification with your company administrator before seeking a refund.
    * Refunds on Annual Tickets will be calculated as follows: The cost of the appropriate Monthly Ticket multiplied by the number of months used is deducted from the amount paid for the Annual Ticket. There is no administration fee involved.

Hoping someone can clarify.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as it's priced at ten months worth of passes, you'd get at most one month of a refund. and it may be the case now that the deadline to cancel for that one month has passed?
    the fact that the discount is withdrawn on cancellation of the ticket is clearly stated in the first point quoted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

as it's priced at ten months worth of passes,.

so your employer bought a pass for 12 months at a cost of 10 months

if it is cancelled they have to pay an extra 2 months

afaik the refund relates only to cancellations under 10 months

the tax free element is also a factor given you are leaving

it seems fairest all around to simply see out the remaining 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This has nothing to do with Taxsaver but the agreement you signed with your employer

This typically says any outstanding amount at termination of employment will be recovered from the final pay cheque

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think it's that; if a significant proportion of that outstanding amount can be refunded but the employer was refusing to engage with the refund process, the OP would have a genuine cause for grievance. as it is, the amount that could be refunded is either going to be very small or nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

Sorry for dragging this up but in the same position with a Bus Eireann ticket.

There's 8 months left on it and they have taken the outstanding balance of 1400 from my last paycheck. They are refusing to deal with BE or taxsaver regarding this. Even though there was no mention of this when signing up for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Did you sign anything authorising them to take the instalments from your salary? I’d imagine it’s mentioned in there that they’ll take the outstanding balance from your final paycheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

piplip87 wrote: »

There's 8 months left on it and they have taken the outstanding balance of 1400 from my last paycheck. They are refusing to deal with BE or taxsaver regarding this. Even though there was no mention of this when signing up for it

can you return the ticket to BE for a refund of remaining value?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

What's the company? Sounds outrageous that they won't send an email to cancel it or give you a reason why no refund is due. You should get 6 months refund & if they wait another week you'll lose out on a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This is fairly standard practice, HR don't want to have to do math and call people.

Its in the agreement I signed that as it is paid monthly, any outstanding balance will be recovered in the final paycheck.

Collie D wrote: »
    Did you sign anything authorising them to take the instalments from your salary? I’d imagine it’s mentioned in there that they’ll take the outstanding balance from your final paycheque.

I signed up for it and gave them permission to deduct it from the salary. As far as I remember there's nothing about leaving the company on that. I think it's outrageous to be fair. It's the matter of sending an email to cancel it is all that's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Standard practice for any 'salary sacrifice' by installments. The ticket was paid up-front so basically you're getting an interest-free loan from your employer who are entitled to recoup anything outstanding when you leave. The ticket is yours, not theirs so you need to do the cancelling.

How do you think you'd feel if your employer took it upon themselves to cancel a ticket for some arbitrary reason? You've got your annual pass and you're going to carry on using it. If cancelled, you lose 2/12 of its value.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Standard practice for any 'salary sacrifice' by installments. The ticket was paid up-front so basically you're getting an interest-free loan from your employer who are entitled to recoup anything outstanding when you leave. The ticket is yours, not theirs so you need to do the cancelling.

For god sake.
    The administrator in the company must initiate the cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

antix80 wrote: »
    For god sake.
    The administrator in the company must initiate the cancellation.

They could, but this is effectively a change of mind scenario for the poster, and the employer is under no obligation at all.

they could but it would involve an administration overhead. the fact they chose not to tels us either there is a company mindset of doing as little as possible (and thats unlikely because they they would not be doing the taxsaver at all), or they don't feel like being helpful for leavers or this leaver in particular.

It is petty, but without knowing all the circumstances as to why, we do know the employer is doing nothing wrong per se.

It is petty, but without knowing all the circumstances as to why, we do know the employer is doing nothing wrong per se.

It sounds extremely petty. But I worked in a horrible multinational in North Dublin and this was the mindset of the "award winning" payroll department.

I guess the op could email the payroll/administrator and cc the rail company. "Dear X, as I am no longer employed with XYZ I wish to cancel my travel pass. Can you please confirm this is in order. Regards, Op"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭howiya

Taxsaver question. Didn’t want to start a new thread. Signed up for an annual ticket there and it starts tomorrow. Got a new leap card with no instructions. Will the ticket be on the leap card tomorrow or do I need to tag on somewhere first like you would if you bought leap travel credit online?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ticket should be preloaded. You can check with the Android app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭howiya

L1011 wrote: »
    Ticket should be preloaded. You can check with the Android app

Thanks. Yup it’s there.

cdaly_ wrote: »

How do you think you'd feel if your employer took it upon themselves to cancel a ticket for some arbitrary reason? You've got your annual pass and you're going to carry on using it. If cancelled, you lose 2/12 of its value.

Yes but there is a clear procedure for cancelling a tax saver ticket and that is the company email a cancellation request, and tax saver reimburse the company for monies paid.

I have an annual pass and will not use it again as I've got a new job much closer to home so will not need to use it.

There really should be a procedure once you've left a job you can apply for it directly because HR in large companies don't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Yes but there is a clear procedure for cancelling a tax saver ticket and that is the company email a cancellation request, and tax saver reimburse the company for monies paid.

I have an annual pass and will not use it again as I've got a new job much closer to home so will not need to use it.

There really should be a procedure once you've left a job you can apply for it directly because HR in large companies don't really care.

Something for Glassdoor by the way.

Advertisement