Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Stacey Sims - Roar

• 29-07-2019 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Morning , I thought I would start a separate thread on this as I know there are a few of us currently reading the book and taking the nutritional advice on board !

I was wondering with regard to hydration what aspects of this are people trying out.

I tried in vain to find nuun endurance in Ireland - which she endorsed as being the correct formula for optimal endurance . I did manage to find the Osmo one and ordered it but haven’t used it yet .

Some of the folk in the club are swearing by tailwind - I had a quick look at the ingredients and they look to have the correct ratio of ingredients but has a lot of carbs .(I think maybe double recommended) I was thinking maybe if I made up the drink with a half portion that this would work.

My brain is a bit addled with the book and American measurements so looking for some input here please.

Also keen to work out fueling for long runs - yesterday tried a brownie , a Freddo and some glucose tabs !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

1) Nuun can be found online on dozens of websites, wiggle probably being the most popular one: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/. Having said that, I'm sure I've seen it in running or bike shops as well on occasions.

2) I would not worry too much if a sports drink has too many carbs or too little. Instead try a range of them and find out what suits you. For example, I can't stomach a drink with too many carbs, so I tend to use weaker ones even though in theory a stronger mixture would provide more energy.

Btw, I have tried Nuun and it didn't do anything for me, expect maybe make the water taste a liitle bit more pleasant. I gave up on it after I used up my first stash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great Idea Bluesquare I use tailwind and love it, after reading some of Stacy Sims book and listening to her podcasts, I decided to check it out in comparison to the new Nuun endurance when I checked the ingredients and they are using the same forms of sugars (Dextrose , Sucrose) but tailwind also has added Calcium Carbonate which she recommends you take to prevent and treat cramps along with electrolytes I know the amount differs a bit but I am sticking with tailwind for now anyway.

Let me know what the Osmo one is like :)

I know she says hydration in your bottle and food in your pocket but all I am using at the minute is tailwind maybe a few jellies in the past, I use a banana when I am on the bike and always have some 0% fat Greek yogurt with in 30 minutes of finishing my Long run and then eat my next meal. which is a tip I got from her and I have to say it works a treat I feel so much better much quicker than before.

Have you seen some of the recipes in the book I am going to try one or two for long runs as they get longer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Bluesquare wrote: »

Also keen to work out fueling for long runs - yesterday tried a brownie , a Freddo and some glucose tabs !

How long are your long runs? I remember when my husband was doing a few ultramarathons and mountain / trail marathons he ate some things like granola bars and bananas. I think food is easier to stomach when you're running a bit slower (like on the trails or very long distances).

In books about ultrarunning they seem to be eating all the time, and all kinds of stuff! Scott Jurek has a book that's about running and has recipes - 'Eat & Run'. You might like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Baby75 wrote: »
    Great Idea Bluesquare I use tailwind and love it, after reading some of Stacy Sims book and listening to her podcasts, I decided to check it out in comparison to the new Nuun endurance when I checked the ingredients and they are using the same forms of sugars (Dextrose , Sucrose) but tailwind also has added Calcium Carbonate which she recommends you take to prevent and treat cramps along with electrolytes I know the amount differs a bit but I am sticking with tailwind for now anyway.

Let me know what the Osmo one is like :)

I know she says hydration in your bottle and food in your pocket but all I am using at the minute is tailwind maybe a few jellies in the past, I use a banana when I am on the bike and always have some 0% fat Greek yogurt with in 30 minutes of finishing my Long run and then eat my next meal. which is a tip I got from her and I have to say it works a treat I feel so much better much quicker than before.

Have you seen some of the recipes in the book I am going to try one or two for long runs as they get longer :D

I’m confusing myself now with all the different threads - just noticed you replied with a nice recipe on the other one . Check out Kvarg - it’s a yogurt thingy with 16g of protein - it’s good .

I have bought one thing of tailwind so will try if . I haven’t gone over half marathon distance in 3 years and gave up fueling on runs ages ago - so back to new territory . I’ll mention the calcium carbonate in tailwind to my buddy who suffers badly cramps - thanks for that .

HelenAnne wrote: »
    How long are your long runs? I remember when my husband was doing a few ultramarathons and mountain / trail marathons he ate some things like granola bars and bananas. I think food is easier to stomach when you're running a bit slower (like on the trails or very long distances).

In books about ultrarunning they seem to be eating all the time, and all kinds of stuff! Scott Jurek has a book that's about running and has recipes - 'Eat & Run'. You might like it?

I’m training for a marathon. I have that book at home, it’s a good read. Scott is a whole different species than me , me thinks , I’ll pull it out again and check out the recipes !

• Advertisement

1) Nuun can be found online on dozens of websites, wiggle probably being the most popular one: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/. Having said that, I'm sure I've seen it in running or bike shops as well on occasions.

2) I would not worry too much if a sports drink has too many carbs or too little. Instead try a range of them and find out what suits you. For example, I can't stomach a drink with too many carbs, so I tend to use weaker ones even though in theory a stronger mixture would provide more energy.

Btw, I have tried Nuun and it didn't do anything for me, expect maybe make the water taste a liitle bit more pleasant. I gave up on it after I used up my first stash.

Thanks for the reply . The nuun i can find is the nuun active which seems to be the equivalent of zero but not the nuun endurance which has more calories?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Bluesquare wrote: »
    I’m confusing myself now with all the different threads - just noticed you replied with a nice recipe on the other one . Check out Kvarg - it’s a yogurt thingy with 16g of protein - it’s good .

I have bought one thing of tailwind so will try if . I haven’t gone over half marathon distance in 3 years and gave up fueling on runs ages ago - so back to new territory . I’ll mention the calcium carbonate in tailwind to my buddy who suffers badly cramps - thanks for that .

I just read that reply :D I know the one your talking about its lovely Aldi and lidil do their own version as well I got some lovely ones in aldi

I love this website I have tried these burgers and they are yummy https://runningonrealfood.com/chickpea-veggie-burgers/?ref=convertkit&ck_subscriber_id=494300514

Advertisement