Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foraging; wild food.

• 29-07-2019 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

With an overgrown field here am exploring.. Large quantities of chickweed, which is a superfood and grows anywhere

See

https://www.wildedible.com/chickweed

Dandelion leaf and root..

And rose hips and blackberries ripening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Keep an eye out for damsons (wild plums). Coming into season shortly and much more productive and easier to gather than other hedgerow fruits. Easy to preserve and good to eat fresh as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Looks like there will be a great crop of blackberries again this year?

Also if you are near the sea don't forget seaweed.

my3cents wrote: »
    Looks like there will be a great crop of blackberries again this year?

Also if you are near the sea don't forget seaweed.

As always, know your water when collecting seaweed and shellfish. Make sure you're not near outflows of dirty water.

Sea spinach is one of my favorite shore veggies. Bit late in the year for collecting now.

And I'm always interested in a nice pot of mussels - one of the most sustainable proteins available! Just make sure to leave some for the next person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

And I'm always interested in a nice pot of mussels - one of the most sustainable proteins available! Just make sure to leave some for the next person.

Don't collect mussels unless there's an R in the month!

Don't collect mussels unless there's an R in the month!

That's native oysters Enbalmer. That's why there are two Oyster Festivals in Galway in September!

But locally grown non-native oysters are fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Limpets should be fine any month, they feed on stationary algae which are pretty harmless all year round AFAIK.

Enjoyed a few dozens of them, flash fried on butter and garlic, on Sunday night and I'm still here ;)

Alek wrote: »
    Limpets should be fine any month, they feed on stationary algae which are pretty harmless all year round AFAIK.

Enjoyed a few dozens of them, flash fried on butter and garlic, on Sunday night and I'm still here ;)

Fried on the shell or taken out first?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

are there any sources of carbs from wild foraged food?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Can you eat mussels from down the Wicklow coast and other shellfish, cockles, periwinkels, razor clams etc etc.
    It's far enough away from Dublin.

Alek wrote: »

Always wondered about limpets........they're everywhere but you never see anyone eating them.
    Love to bang a few in a seafood paella.

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    Always wondered about limpets........they're everywhere but you never see anyone eating them.
    Love to bang a few in a seafood paella.

You need to try a few limpets them you'll realise why they're everywhere but you never see anyone eating them :D

If you like the taste of garlic and butter - who doesn't - then you'll definitely enjoy the taste of garlic and butter with your limpets :)

my3cents wrote: »
    You need to try a few limpets them you'll realise why they're everywhere but you never see anyone eating them :D

If you like the taste of garlic and butter - who doesn't - then you'll definitely enjoy the taste of garlic and butter with your limpets :)

They don't taste good then?

Planet X wrote: »
    They don't taste good then?

They don't taste bad but lets say there is more texture than taste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Anyone harvesting hazelnuts yet?

How long do you leave them to ripen before eating?

I started finding a few on the ground under my trees. I'll have a look this evening and see what looks good. Bring them in and leave them to dry for a few days I suppose.

I was told about some mature Spanish/Sweet Chestnut trees and few years ago. I went and found them over the weekend but no viable harvest this year. Maybe I'll visit again in a months time and see if any full ones on the ground but I'm not hopeful.
    They are beautiful trees though.

I was told about some mature Spanish/Sweet Chestnut trees and few years ago. I went and found them over the weekend but no viable harvest this year. Maybe I'll visit again in a months time and see if any full ones on the ground but I'm not hopeful.
    They are beautiful trees though.

Sweet Chestnut is a very fast growing tree so the really big mature looking ones may not be as old as they look. There are a lot in parklands in the south of England and most aren't more than 100 years old but look much older.

Anyway I had 3 massive trees (like 10ft around the trunks) where I used to work and we rarely if ever got an edible crop off them. I never saw one but I believe there was a massive crop in 1975 (hot summer in UK) so if I'm being generous thats a crop once every 25 years. Walnuts are much more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Huge generous blackberry crop... made so much jam.. and juice... Not tried seaweed yet, and not into shellfish etc.

But the blackberries..

Advertisement