Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside managers in hurling

• 27-07-2019 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

This as probally done before but i just want to see what people think as it's something that has annoyed me a lot in recent years.

Joe Quaid has been let go as Westmeath hurling manager. From what i can see no one in Westmeath is too upset by this and that it's seen as a good thing. There seems to be a similer feeling in Kildare when he went, and it seems hes not going to these counties for his love if the game.

There are other notable examples of it. Eamonn Kelly left Offaly saying it was over work etc and two weeks later he was the Laois manager. How there could have been other reasons behind him leaving Offaly but he was very fact to join someone else.

I wonder are these managers actually any good for a county? When a lot of them only look in the short term. Fellas from ''hurling counties'' imo see the likes of Kerry, Westmeath, Carlow, Laois and to an extent Kildare and Meath as an easy way into management with an easy pay day.

On paper Westmeah had a good season, but was that down Quaid? Much the same when he was with Kildare. Won the Christy Ring Cup but also got relagated in the league.

You then have the other side of the coin with the likes of Colm Bonnar who have actually improved teams they've managed and are looking to help teams to actually push on to the next level

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Eddie Brennan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I'm not too familiar with the Quaid situation, I know they did ship a hiding in the McDonagh final and then Cork ran up 40 points, which seems like a regression on the progress they had making the previous few years.. I think if so called weaker counties are to improve then expertise from the establishment counties needs to be brought in. It happens in football aswell and I'm sure there is always going to be some chancers and mercenaries going around in that kind of scenario. Unless you want a rule brought in whereby a county can only be managed by a person from that county. I'm sure there is good hurling people in Westmeath and maybe they should give a go to one of their own men this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Much as it pains me to say it, Brennan has clearly been of benefit to Laois. He is also geographically close enough to see a lot of club games, whereas managers living a good distance away are not.

Against that, you would have to say that Fitzy has been good for Wexford and Daly was good for Dublin despite the long haul. Both have or had good locally based selectors which is essential.

Mattie Kenny probably couldn't be described as outsider in Dublin given his involvement with Cuala. I'm afraid our problems lie deeper than management!

Advertisement