Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athletics Podcasts

Options
  • 19-07-2019 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭

I'm probably late to the party here but I'm absolutely loving Stephen scullions podcast. I'm listening to it on spotify. I'm back in January so I've loads to go, only 20min episodes, I try get one every night. Learning so much from it.

Anyone have other good athletics podcasts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I'm probably late to the party here but I'm absolutely loving Stephen scallions podcast. I'm listening to it on spotify. I'm back in January so I've loads to go, only 20min episodes, I try get one every night. Learning so much from it.

Anyone have other good athletics podcasts?

Edit:sorry for typo in title I have my slept much :)

I've listened to a lot of Marathon talk podcast over the years. Some good information and some very good interviews..

While not Athletics per say, I would listen to 2 podcast every week.
    I find "Scientific triathlon" very good. Loads of running related but more on the scientific side of things, also has some good guest from time to time..
    "I M Talk" New Zealand based mostly on Ironman but covers other topic from time to time. Mix of weekly round ups, training advice,
    interviews and general chat. Usually good for a laugh as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Magness and Marcus on coaching

Gaincast with Vern Gambetta

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Wottle wrote: »
    Magness and Marcus on coaching

Gaincast with Vern Gambetta

This^
    Also Just Fly Sports for sprint/power related training
    Gait Guys is good for running related physio information
    House of Run is decent for chat about athletics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

There's more twists in Scullion's training than a M Night Shyamalan movie at this point. Compulsive listening though.....
    The two Nordy boys on the Runner Beans podcast are good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

Find Scullion's one hard to listen to

The Magness podcast is fantastic

Also, Inside Running is a great one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

healy1835 wrote: »
    The two Nordy boys on the Runner Beans podcast are good value.

Big fan of the interviews but feel you have to wade through a bit before you get there.

Tartan Running Shorts podcast is of similar vein some pretty good episodes (scottish focus)

As has been said above the Magness podcasts are gold well worth reading for coaches and athletes alike focus on area's of the sport which are always overlooked with regards training talk.

NazElite have some good episodes (mainly interviews with their athletes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I've become a regular listener of the Rambling Runnner podcast.

Lots of variety in terms of the running ability of each episode's guest interviewee.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Athletics Weekly have a interesting podcast
    some good intetviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Final Surge Podcast- great back catalogue from McMillan to Tinman, Magness, Vigil, Hunter, Dicharry
    The Morning Shakeout with Mario Fraoli. Best one is with Frank Gagliano.
    Citius Mag
    Run the day with Nick Symmonds, some better than others
    Runners of NYC, a few good ones
    That Running Podcast has great guests but I find it hard to warm to them
    Rich Roll podcast, not most of them but the one with Killian Jornet was good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't particularly following running podcasts, tbh. Went through the back catalogue of the S&C Journal one. Short episodes, infrequent and more about the research and S&C coaches.

Recently discovered one called Physio Matters. Listened to episode with Anna Boniface, who shared her experiences as a physio, athlete and personal account of RED-S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

I listen to the following running podcasts

Marathon Talk - good fun chat between the hosts and some very interesting guests. Plenty Irish guests too including Sinead Diver, Catriona Jennings and Paul Tierney in recent pods

Running for Real - Hosted by Tina Muir. a 2:24 marathon runner who has represented GB. Most guests are American, good variety of topics discussed

Marathon Training acadmey - American podcast hosted by hisband and wife. Aimed for back of the pack runners mainly and very cheesy but I really like it for some reason!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I subscribe to PsychCrunch from the British Psychological Society. Episodes are infrequent and short ish, but enjoyable.

Episode 17: How To Make Running Less Painful And More Fun
    https://digest.bps.org.uk/2019/07/23/episode-17-how-to-make-running-less-painful-and-more-fun/

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

House of Run. Letsrun . com's Track Talk. Inside Running. Running Rogue. 1609 Pod. Citius Mag Podcast. That Running Podcast. C Tolle Run. Runner Beans. Marathon Talk. Jumping The Gun (no episode in a long time).

Don't know how anyone can listen to Scullion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I like With me Now (about parkrun) and Free Weekly Timed (also based around parkrun but has a good mix of guests)
    Also Running Commentary - two comedians go running and chat as they go.
    Bad boy running can be annoying but sometimes has good guests - I enjoyed the Lazarus Lake Barkley marathons one.
    Fave at the moment is Running is BS - looks at the things that are s**t about running in a good humoured way.

Really interesting interview with Josh Kerr on the Sunday Plodcast. He does a complete drive by on Jakob 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks for the heads up. That was a really great listen, very interesting.

I liked his honesty re Jakob, it was refreshing.

He seems to have that sweet spot of belief and confidence without spilling over into arrogance/cockiness.

Something I think Scullion falls down on.

Ya, he certainly has a lot of confidence in his ability but still comes across as likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Lindie has a feature interview with Runners Diary lads today, excellent from what I've heard of it so far.

She is a treasure.

Great podcast in general. Brian and Damian have done a great job with the guests they get every week

Have to say, I'm really warming to it too. There's a certain level of charm in the fact that it isn't very polished most of the time, the content can be top notch and you can tell that these are lads that are just very, very into the running scene.

Clever move by them farming out the provisional coverage too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭omicron

I wish they'd buy a couple of decent microphones though, it's over a year now and some very patchy sound, can be very difficult to hear half of it some weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,967 ✭✭✭✭event

Not strictly Athletics but I listen to the Trail Running Ireland podcast a lot, its really good

Do athletics podcasts not focus much on distances under 5k? Or have I not been listening to the right ones? Plenty discuss endurance, fuelling, S&C. What if you are a 400m person?

A few weeks before World's last year I tried to find an athletics podcast focusing on the top level of world athletics track events and couldn't find one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Also Letsrun every Wednesday and Citius Mag.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bullethead

Any given runday...its a good laugh, nice and lighthearted...Good banter between the 2 lads

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

• Advertisement
Advertisement