Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

confused newbie questions!

• 25-07-2019 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Hi

All this has probably been done to death but Finding it is difficult.

Anyway

My aul fella decided to invest €200 into coins about a year ago from a cold call he got. I presumed he was done, but recently he got a call to say he had 11k sterling in an account and the offer he was on was discontinuing. They wanted to either sign him up to a new offer, or give him the cash.

Anyway, aaatrade is the website he used, but he has no wallet to extract to. also, I havnt a clue about this sort of thing.

If they wanted to pay him I cant see why they wouldnt send him a cheque!

Anyway, he emptied his bank account into mine and gave them his iban to transfer, but they couldnt due to boi restrictions.

Im not sure what to do here, is he getting scammed, and if not how do I go get the cash?

The emails and website seem fine. He has been on the phone to them a few times aswell and he says it seems fairly legit.

Help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Both the initial deal and this new account offer sound sketchy to me. I don't think anything has climbed to make that significant a gain, but do you know what the coins purchased were?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Both the initial deal and this new account offer sound sketchy to me. I don't think anything has climbed to make that significant a gain, but do you know what the coins purchased were?

Bitcoin, he says but I couldnt be certain thats correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

A cold call to buy BTC? that's the definition of dodgy

Look at Bitcoin price when he bought, and look at it now. It hasn't gone up 55x. In fact, I don't think any coins have gone up 55x since last year. FYI BTC was around 7k last year around this time, and now is 10k

The original 200 is likely gone, and the current communications are very likely a scam attempt to get more from someone they perceive as gullible. Very dodgy.

If they can't make a bank transfer to your account, they are 100% scammers

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

Sounds like the Binary Options scams that go about.... either find a way for them to deposit to your account by whatever means or forget about the €200. Under NO circumstances let your father deposit another cent in their account or give any card details etc.

How do they "usually" pay out to their customers?

https://www.forexbrokerz.com/brokers/aaa-trade-review

Methods of Payment

The following payment methods are available to AAA Trade clients: credit/debit cards, bank wire transfer, and e-wallet payment systems, such as WebMoney, Яндекс,Qiwi,Skrill, Neteller.

Accepted currencies: GBP, USD, EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

For the most part, if someone is cold calling you anything to do with cryptocurrency, its likely to be a scam.

• Advertisement

Ya - So updates.

This may have been done up to 2 years ago, cant find the correct date.

Olsen Capital are the investment Co and not aaa.... Olsen were recommending we go with them or invest with them. Olsen seem fairly ok to be honest. But still no money as of yet ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

ardinn wrote: »
    Ya - So updates.

Olsen Capital are the investment Co and not aaa.... Olsen were recommending we go with them or invest with them. Olsen seem fairly ok to be honest. But still no money as of yet ha.

Is it the Bulgarian/Estonia company? Seems dodgy to me. Anyway create a n26 account and let them transfer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Why would you need a third party for investment in crypto? Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Ya - So updates.

Take care sending this shower your personal details

Even if they can't get your money, they may want to phish for info they can use in identity theft

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

Dodgy dodgy..... you mentioned in your original post that your dad doesn't have a wallet they can deposit to - would it not be easy to set up an empty wallet and ask them to transfer to which ever wallets they say they support?

My father was done for a large amount a few years ago by a binary options scam which sounds v similar.... be very wary of this crowd, or for the sake of a good nights sleep, just write it off and be thankful that its not ten times that amount.....

• Advertisement

I would but have no clue how to set one up! Could you send me somewhere I could get one? There is too many options to know what the difference is or if its safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

I would but have no clue how to set one up! Could you send me somewhere I could get one? There is too many options to know what the difference is or if its safe!

Try the Bitpay wallet. It's available for mobile and desktop and fairly easy to set up.
    https://bitpay.com/wallet/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitpay.wallet&hl=en_US

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Try the Bitpay wallet. It's available for mobile and desktop and fairly easy to set up.
    https://bitpay.com/wallet/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitpay.wallet&hl=en_US

Thanks a mill

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anyway, he emptied his bank account into mine and gave them his iban to transfer, but they couldnt due to boi restrictions.

Im not sure what to do here, is he getting scammed, and if not how do I go get the cash?

The emails and website seem fine. He has been on the phone to them a few times aswell and he says it seems fairly legit.

Help appreciated!
    I'm a bit confused. Surely they clarified what they require from you in order to pay out whatever, be it an IBAN, a BTC wallet, whatever?

Surely this will go the way of the Nigerian Prince, and the tell will be where you need to deposit a percentage in order to receive anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Ya - So updates.

Should be easy to find date, anywho keep chasing it up.

Advertisement