Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best carvery in Waterford

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Not really a scam when you see the rent and rates by councils. You take out finance on a building and plant and machinery. Ever see all the restaurants that go out of business? You see Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey with their restaurants, book deals and syndicated TV shows? For every one of them there are 5000 young chefs that are burnt out by the time they are 30.

Ever wonder why there are such a high turnover of restaurants? Insurance, rent rates, crappy staff, crappy wages, poor turnover, dodgy suppliers, fussy eaters. I would bury any one from Failte Ireland/Cert/current trading name telling you about the great life in hospitality.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/21/business/jamie-oliver-restaurants/index.html

Even celebrity is no guarantee of protection.

Eating out is a pleasure, only drawback is I don't get to do it often enough, some of the best places to eat out are throughout Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Bury them?? A bit harsh, how about just mild torture!

Aah you'd have to throw the head in every now and then.....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Bury them?? A bit harsh, how about just mild torture!

I want to hear less of that crap!!! Give them the rack, razor and salt, draw them with wild horses and use the cat 'o nine tails.

The CERT instructors are the same as Call center team leaders. They are grinning while thinking I got out and am going to lure you in.....

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/21/business/jamie-oliver-restaurants/index.html

Eating out is a pleasure, only drawback is I don't get to do it often enough, some of the best places to eat out are throughout Waterford.

My Fiance think La Fontana down on the Quay is her favourite place to eat when we visit Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Got kicked out of an establishment for bringing some cans in? Is this common? I'll be taking my business somewhere else and not in Waterford if so.

• Advertisement

Too true.
    Sorry to say when chef fall they fall hard.
    John Race Burton is homeless.
    Ramsey had financial problems as well at one stage.
    Rick Stein is in the UAE after problems in the UK I think.
    Conrad Gallagher? not even going to go there.
    They say it is one of the signs the fall of a society when we make chef into celebrities.

Catering is a fickle trade, food is fashion. Some people manage to hold their place. Ballymaloe, Delia Smith, LaRousse etc. have all stood the test of time. If you are in a recession and you are stuck for work like I was then it is ok go back and try a cheffing course. I think recessions are great for people reinventing themselves. But catering are crap career choices. Most are gone again at 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Too true.
    Sorry to say when chef fall they fall hard.
    John Race Burton is homeless.
    Ramsey had financial problems as well at one stage.
    Rick Stein is in the UAE after problems in the UK I think.
    Conrad Gallagher? not even going to go there.
    They say it is one of the signs the fall of a society when we make chef into celebrities.

Catering is a fickle trade, food is fashion. Some people manage to hold their place. Ballymaloe, Delia Smith, LaRousse etc. have all stood the test of time. If you are in a recession and you are stuck for work like I was then it is ok go back and try a cheffing course. I think recessions are great for people reinventing themselves. But catering are crap career choices. Most are gone again at 30.

I know of a chef in Waterford who, although very skilled at what he does and the people love him, he had to move jobs almost 3 times in 2 years. He says the chef industry is brutal, between extremely long hours, crap pay and you have some managers who are little Hitlers who treat them like rubbish. I know he could just change jobs but the point is he loves people and being a chef but its treatment from management of these (well known) pubs and hotels that can be so disrespectful that they have to move on.

So if you have a decent chef enjoy him/her, they could be gone soon!

I know of a chef in Waterford who, although very skilled at what he does and the people love him, he had to move jobs almost 3 times in 2 years. He says the chef industry is brutal, between extremely long hours, crap pay and you have some managers who are little Hitlers who treat them like rubbish. I know he could just change jobs but the point is he loves people and being a chef but its treatment from management of these (well known) pubs and hotels that can be so disrespectful that they have to move on.

So if you have a decent chef enjoy him/her, they could be gone soon!

We all love to cook a great meal for our family and friends. I think the kitchen table at night is the most education part where the bread winner imparts how he dealt with work and asks the kids what they learned at school. All the lawyers, Doctors and solicitors I know say they started to learn their trades at the dinner table.

You will never meet a college lecturer telling about the drop out rate. Ahhh the little Hitlers, you know that Hitler only was a corporal himself? Minimum wage staff on their first promotion often feel the need to assert their promotion. Only one of my former classmates got her own restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Half the town are looking for chefs at the moment.

Also, I hate carvery.

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Half the town are looking for chefs at the moment.

After reading Wanders2010 post it begs the question "why would you?"

Nothing has changed for chefs in recent years except child labour laws and minimum wages which just confirm their order in society.

• Advertisement

After reading Wanders2010 post it begs the question "why would you?"

Nothing has changed for chefs in recent years except child labour laws and minimum wages which just confirm their order in society.

To me it seems only certain chefs or Head Chefs in well known hotels stick around a while. For example Jenny Power seems to be sticking around in Faithlegg a very long time so she must like it there, but the job has a very high turnover rate. For the people who genuinely love being a chef its a shame when they feel under so much pressure to stay late and deliver even more. The wages don't reflect the hard work. For balance, of course there are great employers who try to keep difficult and abusive chefs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its a tough gig, very rewarding at times but definitely not for everyone.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Can confirm, love food, cooking and eating it. Love the kitchen, home and work.

Done a culinary arts course in WIT and while the course was amazing the work was a joke. Tried 3 or 4 different places before giving up completely. Minimum wage yet expected to work like an absolute donkey.

11 hour shifts with as little as a 5 min fag break, and if you question it there are eyebrows raised.

I always say I'll go back when I have no friends and no family! As the buzz of it is great, the unsociable hours are horrible though. I now work a cushty 9 to 5 monday to friday office job. Heaven!

Lots of great places and opportunities working as a chef, but id rather have plenty of free time. The cons outweigh the pros unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

thomasm wrote: »
    No, the food isnt kept under a 'lamp' its kept in hot containers that have to be at a certain temperature to comply with HACCP standards. Its not a case of just leaving it under a lamp and hoping itll stay warm.

Where do you think your freshly cooked main course comes from? The majority of dishes on a menu are all food thats reheated or blanched before hand to save time. Not many things are made on the spot, obviously as this would be extremely time consuming and leave people waiting upto an hour for dinner

HACCP standards are not there to enhance the taste of the food. Not poisoning you is the remit.

I’m pretty sure most places I go have freshly cooked food. I’m not sure why you think it takes an hour to cook a meal from scratch having trained in this area

Of course the food is fresh, but no food is made the minute you order it unless its something quick like a steak, egg, etc

You hardly think they cook your little bowl of mashed potato on the spot and individually boil the carrots for each table anytime they need them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

My family have specific dietary requirements - We only eat human flesh. Any suggestions on the Dunmore Road area?

I bet you expected to get a few likes for that comment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Head Chefs are all self centred ego maniacs

I've worked with quite a few,

As for Gordon Ramsay, Id say he does more damage to the industry just by the way he behaves on his shows, No young person especially today would go into that type of work i doubt any young person would watch his show and say yeah long hours hot condition low pay and being mentally tortured that looks like that job for me.

Other people in Jobs have stress and pressure that doesn't give them the right to be complete assh0l3s

Head Chefs are all self centred ego maniacs

I've worked with quite a few,

As for Gordon Ramsay, Id say he does more damage to the industry just by the way he behaves on his shows, No young person especially today would go into that type of work i doubt any young person would watch his show and say yeah long hours hot condition low pay and being mentally tortured that looks like that job for me.

Other people in Jobs have stress and pressure that doesn't give them the right to be complete assh0l3s

All? That's too much of a sweeping brush. Some are, but some managers are also d!ckheads who love to throw their weight around and refuse legal break times, pile on the pressure with targets and generally make the life of the Head Chef unbearable. It works both ways.

All? That's too much of a sweeping brush. Some are, but some managers are also d!ckheads who love to throw their weight around and refuse legal break times, pile on the pressure with targets and generally make the life of the Head Chef unbearable. It works both ways.

Ok not all, Keith Boyle was a pleasure to work with but Head Chefs are renowned in general to be difficult to deal with and full of their own importance grumpy miserable shower, we all have managers and bosses who set unrealistic targets and budgets but that doesn't give anybody the right to be abusive towards their colleagues cos they are unhappy with how they are being treated can you not see the irony in that??

I've worked with over 10 different head chefs and about 50 chefs in general probably more. I wouldn't have a pop just cos i feel like it, its just in my experience that has made me come to this opinion

Now, and isn't that funny cause I have never had the pleasure of working with Keith (have dined in his establishments and seen how he handles complaints alright) but do have friends who have worked for him and found him to be a raging nightmare tbh.

So, eh, yeah maybe it is you that's the problem if you think he was sound bur the other 60 odd chefs you worked with were dicks ;):D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Now, and isn't that funny cause I have never had the pleasure of working with Keith (have dined in his establishments and seen how he handles complaints alright) but do have friends who have worked for him and found him to be a raging nightmare tbh.

So, eh, yeah maybe it is you that's the problem if you think he was sound bur the other 60 odd chefs you worked with were dicks ;):D

Is that the guy who ran the Bay Tree Bistro? If so hes a very thin skinned chap as anyone who gave even a tiny bit of criticism on tripadvisor he would come right back with all these personal attacks and really childish counter arguments. Nothing wrong with defending your business but he came across like a pouty child spitting out the dummy. Dealing with complaints is part of being a chef as well and if he was like that to work with then i can see how much of a nightmare he would be. Hes only making someones dinner!

• Advertisement

Yeah that's Keith alright.

Yeah that's Keith alright.

No I haven't worked with him directly in a kitchen but i was working him in a company so i cant say how he was with other chefs but with service and other people he seemed fair enough, and most other staff working with him in this particular establishment thought so too.

As appose to the vast majority of other chefs myself and other colleagues worked with he didn't seem to take the stress of managers or budgets out on his other colleagues outside of the kitchen.

Your making presumptions, I'm going on experience

• Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Tavern in Ballybricken do a decent feed

Added new stuff to the menu. Steak burger lyonese is nice

Advertisement