Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Been a long time lurker in here but never really had anything worth posting. Have been wearing a swatch retrograde and a GShock for work the last 10 or so years. But I got this as a wedding gift a few weeks ago. I bloody love it :)

48366118716_fc578e7bd7_k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Man that’s sweet G. The box is even sexy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Beautiful present, and congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That is lovely, Graham, well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Lovely watch! Enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Picked this up few months back.
    Simplistic at its best.
    IMG-20190725-103015.jpg
    IMG-20190725-101610-HDR.jpg
    IMG-20190725-101545-HDR.jpg

Blumo

IMG-20190725-123638.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Been some time since my last post,still continue to check in.Went for a spin around Wicklow on Monday and came across an antique shop.Always enjoy having a look around these shops always wondering what i could find.It was very small and so packed that as the guy was opening up he had to put stuff outside to be able to get in.As i looked around,in the corner through a narrow path came across a display case and saw a box with Heuer on it,my eyes went:eek:.Asked to have look at it, a Stopwatch.He was asking €40 for it.

I was pretty sure it was legit,but was thinking more what i would do with it and they do not seem to attract a lot of money.Also not sure if it was working.Thinking i was playing it safe put it back and went on my way towards Greystones.For the rest of the day i kept second guessing my decision and since i took pictures before i left i contacted the one person who i knew could help (Thanks Wibbs):D Needless to say i went back.
    cL86U2s.jpg

Also picked up some irish notes/coins for my collection so great trip.Got chatting to him sharing our interests and about having the chance to still find these kinds of shops and the treasures in the day of the internet.

On the way back,stopped off at my local jeweler to get pictures of the movement.The watch is not working as the main spring is broken and would need a service but the movement is nice and clean.

I have only begun my research on it,believe it is from around 1986 going by this 1986 catalogue
    cuYg1c8.jpg

I know its not a Rolex,nor is working,but i really enjoyed having the chance to find it,to have the story about it rather then typing on Ebay.

I think im just going to leave it as it is rather then getting it serviced as might not be worth the money.Finally have something different to share:P would be happy to hear any info on it.

Thanks all for posting as great to see all the great watches.

Keith.

aGDZgdj.jpg
    yUY7nYP.jpg
    G9OxYG0.jpg
    h5a8wOa.jpg
    uVQhupa.jpg
    x7DUplX.jpg
    ZgFOMZD.jpg
    jsELhha.jpg
    PZDAKVp.jpg
    zd5rpvd.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ya jammy bast... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

very nice find, I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Been some time since my last post,still continue to check in.Went for a spin around Wicklow on Monday and came across an antique shop.Always enjoy having a look around these shops always wondering what i could find.It was very small and so packed that as the guy was opening up he had to put stuff outside to be able to get in.As i looked around,in the corner through a narrow path came across a display case and saw a box with Heuer on it,my eyes went:eek:.Asked to have look at it, a Stopwatch.He was asking €40 for it.

I was pretty sure it was legit,but was thinking more what i would do with it and they do not seem to attract a lot of money.Also not sure if it was working.Thinking i was playing it safe put it back and went on my way towards Greystones.For the rest of the day i kept second guessing my decision and since i took pictures before i left i contacted the one person who i knew could help (Thanks Wibbs):D Needless to say i went back.
    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/cL86U Also picked up some irish notes/coins for my collection so great trip.Got chatting to him sharing our interests and about having the chance to still find these kinds of shops and the treasures in the day of the internet. On the way back,stopped off at my local jeweler to get pictures of the movement.The watch is not working as the main spring is broken and would need a service but the movement is nice ][/img]

You did very well on that; was it NOS or had it been used?

Here’s one I bought at the Haslinger auction back in 2010 for £300. If any of you is a Heuer boy, you should look through the catalogue. He was minor European nobility who obsessively collected Heuer watches, especially NOS. The rumour was the sale was to satisfy a divorce requirement. Not sure if it was for the cash or punishment for spending so much of the marriage collecting.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17865/lot/14/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

@IrishPlayer: That's GORGEOUS! Love it to bits - enjoy! [Envy/]

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lovely!

I did athletics at regional club level in the 70s and early 80s and those were everywhere! No digital stopwatches to be seen back then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's Tissot Tuesday.

486745.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's Tissot Tuesday.

I love that watch, has a lot of simple things I like in a watch. Might be the next watch I research and pretend I'm going to buy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

48423156481_1e07bcc410_c.jpg

Tenner on adverts. Nato adds another level of nerdiness to it, cant think of anything i could have more fun with for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

got this in the post today, yema superman auto

486983.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

When I was growing up this was what we all wanted for watches as kids. I tried to get the Casio that is also a tv remote but alas no joy. Cost me €16 and I love it.

486986.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Julian Nice Tattoo

My Daughter has a watch collection of Casio F91W in various colours, she loves them and I think its great she is into watches and she spends her pocket money. I will give her mine some day...

eJ5DfkT.jpg

https://youtu.be/nUCrE8Ok8lA

• Advertisement

When I was growing up this was what we all wanted for watches as kids. I tried to get the Casio that is also a tv remote but alas no joy. Cost me €16 and I love it.

When I was a kid, about 11 or 12, there was an offer on a brand of pretty **** chocolate spread where you had to send in 6 labels from the jars for a calculator watch.

I had three!

They were all equally ****, all broke where the spring bars went into the lugs and I loved each and every one of them. For a brief moment, they made you coolest kid in school.

When they inevitably broke, I would use a heated needle to make holes in the plastic near the lugs and use black thread to reattach the straps.

Don't remember the brand of watch or muck in the jar now.

Simpler times. ;)

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    When I was a kid, about 11 or 12, there was an offer on a brand of pretty **** chocolate spread where you had to send in 6 labels from the jars for a calculator watch.

I had three!

They were all equally ****, all broke where the spring bars went into the lugs and I loved each and every one of them. For a brief moment, they made you coolest kid in school.

When they inevitably broke, I would use a heated needle to make holes in the plastic near the lugs and use black thread to reattach the straps.

Don't remember the brand of watch or muck in the jar now.

Simpler times. ;)

I remember my mate had the tv remote Casio and he could change the tv displays in the window of RTV rentals, we thought he was a legend. In comparison to how kids get their kicks now we really were simpletons.

When I seen my Casio calculator watch in the shop window I knew I had to have it. The feel of the thin resin strap when I put it on brings me back to the 80’s instantly.

P.S was the chocolate spread made by Panda, I seem to remember that back then.

This is one of my two Seiko calculator watches. The second LCD model ever made(though citizen were close). This was my dads and he got it early, first six months of production IIRC.

487001.jpg

That's an older pic, because I put it down somewhere in my house. IIRC I "hid it" as I was going to be away for the weekend and there had been burglaries in the area and I've only got two watches left that connect me to my watch collector dad, where my illness comes from. :) And now can't find it. :(:( Yep, I am a thundering moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Wibbs wrote: »
    This is one of my two Seiko calculator watches. The second LCD model ever made(though citizen were close). This was my dads and he got it early, first six months of production IIRC.

snip

That's an older pic, because I put it down somewhere in my house. IIRC I "hid it" as I was going to be away for the weekend and there had been burglaries in the area and I've only got two watches left that connect me to my watch collector dad, where my illness comes from. :) And now can't find it. :(:( Yep, I am a thundering moron.

Just done a quick google and see it was released back in the late 70's. It would have cost a pretty penny new back then!
    Outstanding watch, its beautiful.

Victorinox Maverick with a white dial.

IMG-20190802-082542.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I remember my mate had the tv remote Casio and he could change the tv displays in the window of RTV rentals, we thought he was a legend. In comparison to how kids get their kicks now we really were simpletons.

I was in a hospital waiting room with the wife a couple of years ago and the tv was playing **** Ireland AM. I downloaded an IR remote App on my phone and set it up for the model of the TV and switched the channel.

The wife though I was a absolute IT genius, so I can relate :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

When I seen my Casio calculator watch in the shop window I knew I had to have it. The feel of the thin resin strap when I put it on brings me back to the 80’s instantly.

I'd that watch. Used to cause havoc in school.

Was it Panda?
    I had a vague memory, but wasn't sure.

Well, their chocolate spread is still ****.

I wonder what they give away these days. Probably just type 2 Diabetes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Pretty sure it was panda, myself and my brother got calculator watches back in the mid 80’s. Got sick of chocolate spread.

• Advertisement

Shot from the airport bar waiting for a delayed flight!

00100l-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20190802201756094-COVER.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement