Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non Alcoholic Pale Ale?

• 21-07-2019 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As much as I love a few...or a load of...craft beers, I’m looking for an off licence with a good range of non alcoholic IPA’s etc in Dublin. is there even such a thing? I just want something with a good taste for when I’m on the dry.

The only non alcoholic ive had in the past were erdinger/becks - which were absolute mank!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Lidl or aldi had one recently in Kilkenny ,no idea what it's like ,
    Ipa drinker myself couldn't imagine a non alcoholic version

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not exactly what you asked for but Lidl have one for 99c:

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=19117

It's nothing special but doesn't have the sickly sweetness that many non-alcohol beers have.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Brewdog do some. https://www.brewdog.com/uk/punk-af-can

I’ve had the nanny state which is advertised as 0.5% (bought in error on a beer buying trip to enniskillen!) and it was much nicer than the erdinger and other alcohol free beers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The only non alcoholic ive had in the past were erdinger/becks - which were absolute mank!!
    The standard has got much better lately, so shop around. I reviewed a few of them, including IPAs, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Dungarvan Main Sail
    Lervig NA
    Thornbridge Big Easy
    Breeding Nanny State & Punk NA
    Mikkeller Drink'in The Sun
    Wicklow Wolf NA

are what you will find in offies and pubs in terms of Pale Ales in Ireland currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The St. James's Gate one is actually not bad at all. My local SuperValu is selling a box of them for €15. It's got a blue label (they have a few variants, but the alcohol free one is the blue one).

It's not technically a Pale Ale, but it's not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Create a "Shandy" between the lidl pale ale 0.5% alc and a pale ale circa 4% alc and you have a drinkable tipple that will keep you under driving limits if you have 3 or 4 over an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The Lidl non alcoholic pale ale is quite good and not bad value being bottled. My other go-to is nanny state which I would consider a premium non alcoholic ale.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I really like Nanny State.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The St. James's Gate one is actually not bad at all. My local SuperValu is selling a box of them for €15. It's got a blue label (they have a few variants, but the alcohol free one is the blue one).

It's not technically a Pale Ale, but it's not bad.

Marketed as a pilsner but I'd consider its taste profile to be closer to a pale. Called Open Gate Pure Brew (not James Gate) in case someone is having trouble finding it.

Drank the lot of it in a hotel a while ago and it confused the hell out of the barman I asked after it had gone and the space in the fridge of NA/low products had been filled with Hufi which is gluten free but not low alcohol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

Got some of this in the Blackrock Cellar -
    Thornbridge Big Easy

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/thornbridge-big-easy/644624/

Not bad for .5%
    Normally drink Nanny State when I'm going for low alcohol but this was a little bit tastier

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had the BrewDog Punk AF. Not the worst but it does kinda taste like highly carbonated spring water with a drop of sweet hop juice added.

Nice enough to have on a hot summers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

L1011 wrote: »
    Marketed as a pilsner but I'd consider its taste profile to be closer to a pale. Called Open Gate Pure Brew (not James Gate) in case someone is having trouble finding it.

Drank the lot of it in a hotel a while ago and it confused the hell out of the barman I asked after it had gone and the space in the fridge of NA/low products had been filled with Hufi which is gluten free but not low alcohol!

I'm driving back from Cork later and got 2x6 packs of these for a barbecue I was at earlier after your recommendation (€6/pk Tesco)

Very surprised as I'm an ale / Guinness drinker and not a fan of lager.

Agree that it's more a pale ale than a lager and very drinkable with no bad aftertaste

Advertisement