Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Vetting

• 26-06-2019 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

I'm going through the process at the moment, but it's taking a bit longer than expected. I'm wondering of anyone here has recently been through the vetting process and the processing time experienced. I have no record btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi,
    It really depends on how busy they are and the staffing available. There are certain times of the year where there are significant numbers of people that require vetting for specific events and/or around the times of season start ups for coaching etc. This time of year I suspect holiday season is impacting on how many staff are involved and I am aware that there have been significant numbers of people vetted for a significant GAA event also which may have priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Garda vetting takes about a week, usually done online. If you havent done it online yourself, your new employer might be taking their time about inputting the data. If you need garda clearance, which is a step up from that. You could be waiting months. It took me 4 months for my clearance to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I'm going through the process at the moment, but it's taking a bit longer than expected. I'm wondering of anyone here has recently been through the vetting process and the processing time experienced. I have no record btw.

It depends what job your a being vetted for, I had vetting done for a care home around 4 months ago, it took 3 weeks. If you look through the jobs forum and look at the clerical officer thread you will see posts by people who are being vetted for the garda station and it is taking up to 10 or 12 weeks. If your getting vetted for say the social welfare office it will be quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Garda vetting takes about a week, usually done online. If you havent done it online yourself, your new employer might be taking their time about inputting the data. If you need garda clearance, which is a step up from that. You could be waiting months. It took me 4 months for my clearance to come back.

My vetting application is with them just over a week, I'd just like to have it so my job application can be progressed to the next stage.

I didn't know there was a difference between clearance and vetting. I've done the online one, presumably that's the lower level vetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I did the one which checks for criminal records twice. I don't know what that's called. Took about a week each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

My vetting application is with them just over a week, I'd just like to have it so my job application can be progressed to the next stage.

I didn't know there was a difference between clearance and vetting. I've done the online one, presumably that's the lower level vetting.

Yes thats the lower level, If you have done it online you can check the status. It will tell you when its back. I know how you feel, It took me a year from application to start date for my most recent job. Just sit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭fairycakes

Hi there my Garda vetting application online is saying Application scheduled for completion does anyone know how long it takes for the disclosure to go to Tusla after this? anxious to start new job! thank you!

fairycakes wrote: »
    Hi there my Garda vetting application online is saying Application scheduled for completion does anyone know how long it takes for the disclosure to go to Tusla after this? anxious to start new job! thank you!
    They get it straight away as far as i know. Did you get a Clerical Officer role with Tusla?

No ill be working with children in care Fracture. I didn't think it would go straight to them from that this whole process taking forever!!!!!!!

fairycakes wrote: »
    No ill be working with children in care Fracture. I didn't think it would go straight to them from that this whole process taking forever!!!!!!!

I just thought you might have been part of the recent CO campaign for Tusla. Yeh, the vetting process is so slow, especially when its your final hurdle and your just sitting there waiting.
    Congrats and best of luck in the new role.

• Advertisement

Thanks Fracture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Just to follow up on this thread, I had basic (online) vetting done. Took 10 days.

Just to follow up on this thread, I had basic (online) vetting done. Took 10 days.

What kind of position was it for? Garda / Social Welfare / Dept of Justice etc? Vetting seems to take different amounts of time depending where the position is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

And what sort of report does your potential employer get back from AGS?

Just a simple..."There are no offences against this person".....or is there more detail to it than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

frosty123 wrote: »
    And what sort of report does your potential employer get back from AGS?

Just a simple..."There are no offences against this person".....or is there more detail to it than that?

I used to Garda Vet staff, this was about 4 years ago. As far as I can remember it includes the offence, the date and the sentencing i.e Drugs possession, may 2021, caution

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

and how about driving penalty points does that come into the equation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

frosty123 wrote: »
    and how about driving penalty points does that come into the equation?

Nope
    I've gone through Vetting a number of times for involvement in sports and education. Each time I got a declaration back just stating there were no convictions

Advertisement