Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail - can't buy monthly ticket after 15th

• 23-07-2019 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭

Just found out today
    Monthly tickets are for calendar months only, not for 30/31 days.

You cannot purchase a monthly ticket after the 15th

That's ridiculous, no?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I doubt there's any situation that you'd still save money buying a calender month ticket after that date versus two weeklys and a return; unless their pricing has gone completely nuts. Adult monthlies are quite poor value and rely on most people buying them via Taxsaver to get a benefit from it

Never having offered rolling 30 tickets is the odder thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

As above there is little point in a monthly ticket after 15 days

Weekly tickets are still available

30 day tickets are not possible on the current IT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Thanks all.

I get the "doesn't make financial sense after 15th" piece.
    The limitation on the 30 day tickets is what amazes me.

The weekly ticket is 7 days from purchase - how come that works but 30 days doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,231 ✭✭✭✭ted1

long_b wrote: »
    Thanks all.

The weekly ticket is 7 days from purchase - how come that works but 30 days doesn't?

Because months have between 28 and 31 days. If they offered 30 days cards. They’ll be missing 5 days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »
    Because months have between 28 and 31 days. If they offered 30 days cards. They’ll be missing 5 days.

Which people live with internationally without much trouble though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

In reality there would be more occasions where one 30 day ticket ended on say a Friday and next one bought on a Monday. Plus other intervals based on say holiday periods.

You'd have end/ start dates all over the place with risk of using tickets that expired as a result, plus I guess people having cashflow difference depending on date in month.

I guess it's just simpler if calendar month based.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Genghis wrote: »

You'd have end/ start dates all over the place with risk of using tickets that expired as a result, plus I guess people having cashflow difference depending on date in month.

I guess it's just simpler if calendar month based.

I think people could handle it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

long_b wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Just offer 28 day tickets

28 x 13 = 364

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

It's par for the course, if it made any sense at all it wouldn't be Irish, and if it was good value for the customer it certainly wouldnt be Irish Rail.

Why do people expect things to be in any way properly or logically done in this country, you're only going to drive yourself nuts. Just assume every thing that requires you to deal with any organization based here, be it large or small, is going to be a complete clusterfug. Then on the rare occasions it isn't, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm actually surprised Kafka never visited Ireland, thought surely to god The Trial was based on dealing with some Irish organization. Any way I'm off to catch the train to Dublin from Donegal oh wait, there isn't one. I suppose I'll hop on the bus which handily goes into Northern Ireland on the way. Love a bit of International travel on a Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Not really logical. You can code for one month from any day based on the fact that the validity end includes a month. So you could, if you wanted, code for a montg ticket starting any day, eg, validity ends today -1, month +1.

So if you buy in Feb, your ticket is,28 days, you buy in Jan, it is 31 days.

If today dd 15 and today mm 06, and buy 1 month, validity is end dd 15 and end mm 07.

You don't have to mess around with fixed 30 day periods. Inflexibility is usually in service provider's interest, eg, if people are on holiday three weeks why wouldn't they skip renewing until back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement