Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pennyworth - US-Pace- Epix (**Spoilers**)

• 29-03-2019 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭

Teaser.
    Pennyworth follows "Bruce Wayne's legendary butler, Alfred Pennyworth, a former British SAS soldier who forms a security company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne, Bruce's billionaire father, in 1960s London.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Could be interesting, not much to go on by the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

We're at the point where they're making prequel series about a superhero's butler? Overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Paloma Faith was on Graham Norton talking about this as she is playing a baddie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Doesn't look like anything special from that trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That looks kinda shocking....the Michael Caine accent attempt is distracting and err Paloma Faith...shame because looks like they spent a lot of time and money on the look of it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You wouldn't picture the gentleman Alfred from Batman 89, the comics and Bruce Timm cartoon as an SAS and MI6 agent, Jeremy Irons the guy from Gotham and Michael Caine portrayal though yes you could see their origin as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starzplay picked up the rights for it here in Ireland and the UK.

The only place I have seen Starzplay is as a paid addon on Amazon Prime so I assume they have there own app somewhere.

Edit they also have a website with a free weeks trial.

https://starzplay.co.uk/

Enjoyed the first episode.

However Paloma Faith is the weak link and bugged the sh1t out of me whenever she was on screen.

Better than the trailer made out but too comedic for me, not sure what the series is trying to be but the dark side/comedy duo doesn't work for me. Woulda preferred it to be more Gothamesque
    Will see how the second episode goes

Good set pieces tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked it and thought Paloma was great. Like a Coronation Street villain. She probably pops into the Rovers between scenes. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mr E wrote: »
    I liked it and thought Paloma was great. Like a Coronation Street villain. She probably pops into the Rovers between scenes. :p
    Actually one of the reasons to avoid it! Very annoying individual. Show itself seems all a bit pointless and just an excuse to milk the franchise. Not for me I'm afraid.

Episodes 2 & 3 are great.

They have put some money into this to get old London feeling.

I Googled to see who the girl playing Esme is and saw that this his her first lead role after two guest roles.

Her next role is playing Princess Di in the Crown.

You have to say that is some start to her career getting leads in this and The Crown playing Princess Di.

Second episode finished and just not seeing the point of this show - enough crime dramas as there is without another one just using the Batman mythology as an excuse for another one. Could just as much be a show about the Kray twins

In fact the main character is kinda annoying now I've seen more - maybe its just the London accent, but I just cannot associate him as Alfred

Will give the third episode a chance but think I won't make it to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the michael caine impression is tiresome

Holy **** I wasn't expecting that ending so quickly into the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the characters are really getting messed around

Finished the first season today and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

If you take it as a show set in an alternative 60's with no connection to Batman/DC it worths just as well if not better.

Renewed for a 2nd season.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

James Purefoy, Edward Hogg and Jessye Romeo join - Source TV Line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Seen the first 3 episodes; it's quite enjoyable. Not a Gothamophile, so was pleasantly surprised with its humour, and its lack of any cartoonishness (apart from a little OTTness). Although set in an alternate 60's London, as an origin story it has the feel of a Bond reboot, especially with the lead's charm and guile, and how he deals with nefarious activities, skulduggery, and plain thuggery.
    Nothing groundbreaking, but wanna stick around to see how the plot thickens, and how Alfred uses 'is Watch and Chain to get himself and others out of Barney Rubble.

Looking forward to more of this tongue-in-cheek darkly tinged tale of derring-do.

I didn't take to Gotham, but this goes some way to explaining how its writer and producer have produced a more basic yet more engaging show:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/pennyworth-1224796

Bannon is great as a Michael Caine's Alfred-inspired Pennyworth, with a host of great characters. I thought Paloma Faith did a great job as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    James Purefoy, Edward Hogg and Jessye Romeo join - Source TV Line

Any idea if shooting has started for season two, and a release date?

You wouldn't picture the gentleman Alfred from Batman 89, the comics and Bruce Timm cartoon as an SAS and MI6 agent, Jeremy Irons the guy from Gotham and Michael Caine portrayal though yes you could see their origin as that.

Actually, Batman the animated series had an episode which referred to Alfreds MI6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Cor Blimey, Guvnah!

Looking forward to further exploits.

Very enjoyable opening 4 episodes to the season a two month break now which I'm guessing was down to Covid stopping filming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Actually, Batman the animated series had an episode which referred to Alfreds MI6 days.

Seriously good show

Advertisement