Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maori all blacks vs Fiji

• 20-07-2019 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Thought I’d stick up a match thread for those missing a bit of rugby action lately. I was looking forward to seeing what the fresh faced Fiji side would come up with but doesn’t appear to be televised anywhere i can see, anyone know any channels or streams showing the game?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,974 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

7-7 at half time.

I can't find a stream anywhere, so tipping in and out of ultimate rugby for it

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I always thought that the idea of a Maori All Blacks Team was a bit racist. I’m sure if there was a SA team made up of only black players that there would be questions asked. I see no difference here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I always thought that the idea of a Maori All Blacks Team was a bit racist. I’m sure if there was a SA team made up of only black players that there would be questions asked. I see no difference here.

Why? The maoris have been there since the year dot and it’s not like having a Māori team excludes anyone else from playing rugby for the main all blacks side

This chestnut again.

I'd suggest doing some deeper research and educating yourself before before making such claims.

Mitchell karpik.... Now there's a Maori and a half......

Maori’s pulling away. this might not bode well for Fiji’s depth which they’ll have needed come World Cup considering they’ll have fairly physical games against wales, Australia and Georgia

• Advertisement

Two Cultures Collide:

https://youtu.be/tGPhbJ68BK4

sydthebeat wrote: »
    This chestnut again.

I'd suggest doing some deeper research and educating yourself before before making such claims.

Mitchell karpik.... Now there's a Maori and a half......

Maybe the AB Maori team could play in a tournament with a teams of black players from the USA and SA etc.

I’m not sure what the Irish equivalent would be. Maybe a team that didn’t go to a posh school.

When it gets put like that you can see that questions can be asked.

Maybe the AB Maori team could play in a tournament with a teams of black players from the USA and SA etc.

I’m not sure what the Irish equivalent would be. Maybe a team that didn’t go to a posh school.

If it gets put like that, all it does is show the ignorance of the questioner....

Who are the Maoris excluding from playing rugby?

Just stop.....

If it gets put like that, all it does is show the ignorance of the questioner....

Who are the Maoris excluding from playing rugby?

They exclude non Maoris from playing for their team. They exclude not by ability but by race.

• Advertisement

They exclude non Maoris from playing for their team. They exclude not by ability but by race.

Yes but the maoris aren’t the official team for the nation, that’s like saying my school team are a bunch of bigots for not letting people from another school be apart of said team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That rule has been broken so often I don't think it's even a thing anymore, Christian Cullen was picked for them in the past. It's more a second team than anything else

Yes but the maoris aren’t the official team for the nation, that’s like saying my school team are a bunch of bigots for not letting people from another school be apart of said team.

No it’s not.
    It’s like if your school had their A team picked from all players. And also ran another team that was picked only from players of a single race.

I can't play for my local womens team.... Due to my gender..... Is that sexist?

Anyway.... If you knew anything about the Maori connection you'd see what you've posted is illeducated.... Have a look at such typical Maori warriors as Mitchell Karpki, ihaia West, hayden triggs etc....

Clareman wrote: »
    That rule has been broken so often I don't think it's even a thing anymore, Christian Cullen was picked for them in the past. It's more a second team than anything else

The rules have been massaged in they past, but today they have to prove geneology..... it's just the Maori heritage has been so diluted as to make the vast majority of players eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't play for my local womens team.... Due to my gender..... Is that sexist?

Anyway.... If you knew anything about the Maori connection you'd see what you've posted is illeducated.... Have a look at such typical Maori warriors as Mitchell Karpki, ihaia West, hayden triggs etc....

It's be a very brave white man who would try to prove discrimination :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Maori’s pulling away. this might not bode well for Fiji’s depth which they’ll have needed come World Cup considering they’ll have fairly physical games against wales, Australia and Georgia

Fiji's depth looking ropey on the same weekend another two Fijians get their first caps for Australia and NZ...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

It might seem like an anachronism but the history of NZ Maori side is long and significant for NZ rugby. Back in 1888, known as the NZ Natives, they were the first NZ side to tour Britain and Ireland (they beat Ireland!) and the first to wear black and do the Haka.
    The rules have been massaged in they past, but today they have to prove geneology..... it's just the Maori heritage has been so diluted as to make the vast majority of players eligible.

I wouldn't think it would be anywhere near the majority but certainly a significant % of NZ, especially those whose families who have been in NZ the longest. All it takes is one documented Maori ancestor but as you say, the rules have been massaged or overlooked. In 1927 Frank Solomon played for the Maori despite being Samoan/European and there have been plenty of similar cases. Here is an older article that goes into more depth on the issue:
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=3504970

I think that probably all the players now have proven Maori ancestry however, even if it is 1/32 or less. "Aussie" Russell Crowe and England Cricket hero (and pasty ginger) Ben Stokes would be eligible for the NZ Maori, for example.

Advertisement