Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby Championship 2019 chat

• 19-07-2019 11:15am
    Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭

just starting a dedicated thread for RC 2019 chat.

shortened version this year due to RWC

New Zealand
    World ranking: 1
    Titles: 16
    Last year: 1st
    Coach: Steve Hansen
    Captain: Kieran Read

Squad: (Backs) Ben Smith, Rieko Ioane, Jordie Barrett, George Bridge, Sevu Reece, Braydon Ennor, Sonny Bill Williams, Jack Goodhue, Anton Leinert-Brown, Ngani Laumape, Beauden Barrett, Richie Mo’unga, Josh Ioane, Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara, Brad Weber.

(Forwards) Keiran Read (captain), Ardie Savea, Sam Cane, Vaea Fifita, Shannon Frizell, Matt Todd, Jackson Hemopo, Luke Jacobson, Dalton Papalii, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Patrick Tuipulotu, Joe Moody, Owen Franks, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Nepo Laulala, Ofa Tuungafasi, Atu Moli, Angus Ta’avao, Codie Taylor, Dane Coles, Asafo Aumua, Liam Coltman.

Argentina
    World ranking: 10th
    Titles: 0
    Last year: 4th
    Coach: Mario Ledesma
    Captain: Pablo Matera

Squad: (Forwards) Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, Mayco Vivas, Juan Pablo Zeiss, Javier Diaz, Santiago Garcia Botta, Agustin Creevy, Julian Montoya, Santiago Socino, Juan Figallo, Ramiro Herrera, Santiago Medrano, Enrique Pieretto, Lucio Sordoni, Guido Petti, Tomas Lavanini, Matias Alemanno, Lucas Paulos, Pablo Matera, Tomas Lezana, Javier Ortega Desio, Marcos Kremer, Rodrigo Bruni, Juan Manuel Leguizamon, Facundo Isa

(Backs) Tomas Cubelli, Gonzalo Bertranou, Martin Landajo, Felipe Ezcurra, Nicolas Sanchez, Benjamin Urdapilleta, Joaquin Diaz Bonilla, Domingo Miotti, Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, Jeronimo de la Fuente, Matias Orlando, Matias Moroni, Lucas Mensa, Juan Cruz Mallia, Bautista Ezcurra, Ramiro Moyano, Santiago Cordero, Bautista Delguy, Sebastian Cancelliere, Emiliano Boffelli, Joaquín Tuculet, Manuel Montero, Santiago Carreras.

Australia
    World ranking: 6
    Titles: 4
    Last year: 3rd
    Coach: Michael Cheika
    Captain: Michael Hooper

Squad: (Forwards) Allan Alaalatoa, Rory Arnold, Jack Dempsey, Folau Fainga’a, Michael Hooper (capt), Luke Jones, Sekope Kepu, Tolu Latu, Isi Naisarani, Tom Robertson, Izack Rodda, Rob Simmons, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Scott Sio, James Slipper, Taniela Tupou, Jordan Uelese, Rob Valetini, Liam Wright

(Backs) Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tom Banks, Kurtley Beale, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, Dane Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, Samu Kerevi, Marika Koroibete, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano, Jack Maddocks, Joe Powell, Matt Toomua, Nic White.

South Africa
    World ranking: 5
    Titles: 3
    Last year: 2nd
    Coach: Rassie Erasmus
    Captain: To be confirmed

Squad: (Forwards) Schalk Brits, Marcell Coetzee, Lood de Jager, Thomas du Toit, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Rynhardt Elstadt, Eben Etzebeth, Lizo Gqoboka, Steven Kitshoff, Vincent Koch, Siya Kolisi, Francois Louw, Frans Malherbe, Malcolm Marx, Bongi Mbonambi, Tendai Mtawarira, Franco Mostert, Trevor Nyakane, Marvin Orie, Kwagga Smith, RG Snyman, Marco van Staden, Duane Vermeulen

(Backs) Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Andre Esterhuizen, Faf de Klerk, Aphiwe Dyantyi, Warrick Gelant, Elton Jantjies, Herschel Jantjies, Cheslin Kolbe, Jesse Kriel, Dillyn Leyds, Makazole Mapimpi, Sibusiso Nkosi, Willie le Roux, Handre Pollard, Cobus Reinach, Frans Steyn.

Fixtures
    July 20th: South Africa v Australia, Johannesburg (4.05pm); Argentina v New Zealand, Buenos Aires (7.05pm)

July 27th: New Zealand v South Africa, Wellington (8.35am); Australia v Argentina, Brisbane (10.45am)

August 10th: Australia v New Zealand, Perth (10.45am); Argentina v South Africa, Salta (8.40pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Good man Syd. Any predictions?

It will be interesting to see if the ABs continue the trend of not winning the title in World Cup years. I think Australia won the Rugby Championship in both 2011 and 2015. But thankfully not the Bledisloe. Speaking of which, the 2nd Bledisloe match is on August 17th at Eden Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Tomorrow's games are at 4.05pm and 7.05pm.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Will sean O brian be wearing a diaper is my number one concern :D

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tomorrow's games are at 4.05pm and 7.05pm.

Thanks, i got the above straight from the Irish times, dunno why they are an hour behind. Ill edit to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Will sean O brian be wearing a diaper is my number one concern :D

Is he planning on hammering the beers back while watching the greatest rugby teams in the world play each other?

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Good man Syd. Any predictions?

im already on SA to win the comp.... @ 11/2

I think their game v NZ will be epic... and similarily i think Argies v Ozzies will be epic for similar reasons.....

south africa to go 3 from 3
    australia to go 0 from 3

One thing i cant wait to see tomorrow is Elstadt hunting down Foley for 80 minutes and giving him a torrid time. Foley will stand off deeper and deeper and we'll see the weird juxtaposition of an aussie team kicking everything and a bokke team running everything. I think even with the players Rassie has moth balled, they are good enough to beat this aussie team.. its as poor an australia team as ive seen in a long time.

Typically though cheika will have them very hard to beat, but i think their lack of invention in the back line will be theri undoing. Kerevi is the only player of the lot that id take straight into an ireland team.

I think the kiwis will be spooked by the argies in Argentina, but will come good to eventually win by around 11 or 12.

Ive reece tipped to be to try scorer in the RWC so i want to see him open up on the right...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

The Pumas team named is just the Jaguares team that played in the final + Sanchez and Figallo. So they'll be the most cohesive but least rested team of the RC.

any body interested in playing a predictor game for a bit of fun ???

Join boards.ie RC 2019, my The Rugby Championship Predictor league on @Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/rugbychampionship/pool.php?p=12082315

or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code:

hemsdemo

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

sydthebeat wrote: »
    any body interested in playing a predictor game for a bit of fun ???

Join boards.ie RC 2019, my The Rugby Championship Predictor league on @Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/rugbychampionship/pool.php?p=12082315

or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code:

hemsdemo

Done - thanks for the invite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

With all the talk of NZ being a weakened team for the Pumas match... they're still fielding a team that could tear you a new one.

• Advertisement

Welcome aboard Andy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It be weird having the 6 nations in winter like there having this in winter

Or is it Spring down there ??? Bloody confusing

Think the ABs for the title but wont win all there games

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It be weird having the 6 nations in winter like there having this in winter

Or is it Spring down there ??? Bloody confusing

Think the ABs for the title but wont win all there games

Middle of Winter at the moment.

Middle of Winter at the moment.

any comparison chart between North and south hemp in terms of when there pre season is compared to ours

the world cup is nearer the end of theres and plays right into there hands

any comparison chart between North and south hemp in terms of when there pre season is compared to ours

the world cup is nearer the end of theres and plays right into there hands

Super Rugby season runs February to July. Much shorter season compared to the Pro14 and Champions Cup, which runs September to May.

In a non-rwc year most ABs would play Super Rugby through to June/July, then into the Rugby Championship in August through to October, then onto the November series and then have their off-season until Super Rugby kicks off again.

World Cup is closer to the domestic season end, but the Rugby Championship is much tougher than the equivalent warm up games that Ireland will play (in terms of intensity and actually meaning something). And they've shortened it this year to 3 rounds instead of 6.

Can't see NZ losing any games

:mad:
    Super Rugby season runs February to July. Much shorter season compared to the Pro14 and Champions Cup, which runs September to May.

In a non-rwc year most ABs would play Super Rugby through to June/July, then into the Rugby Championship in August through to October, then onto the November series and then have their off-season until Super Rugby kicks off again.

World Cup is closer to the domestic season end, but the Rugby Championship is much tougher than the equivalent warm up games that Ireland will play (in terms of intensity and actually meaning something). And they've shortened it this year to 3 rounds instead of 6.

where would the summer tests fit in when the european sides play down under ??

:mad:

where would the summer tests fit in when the european sides play down under ??

Generally squeezed in between the space between the round games and knockouts for super rugby.

Generally squeezed in between the space between the round games and knockouts for super rugby.

Didn't mean for that angry face thing ha

Those games are a head ache selection wise esp if big players are from clubs in the super 14 knockouts

The day will come when we will play the ABs down there and what battles they could be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

im already on SA to win the comp.... @ 11/2

I think their game v NZ will be epic... and similarily i think Argies v Ozzies will be epic for similar reasons.....

south africa to go 3 from 3
    australia to go 0 from 3

One thing i cant wait to see tomorrow is Elstadt hunting down Foley for 80 minutes and giving him a torrid time. Foley will stand off deeper and deeper and we'll see the weird juxtaposition of an aussie team kicking everything and a bokke team running everything. I think even with the players Rassie has moth balled, they are good enough to beat this aussie team.. its as poor an australia team as ive seen in a long time.

Typically though cheika will have them very hard to beat, but i think their lack of invention in the back line will be theri undoing. Kerevi is the only player of the lot that id take straight into an ireland team.

I think the kiwis will be spooked by the argies in Argentina, but will come good to eventually win by around 11 or 12.

Ive reece tipped to be to try scorer in the RWC so i want to see him open up on the right...

What’s Elstadt like? Haven’t seen much of SA super rugby this year.

• Advertisement

What’s Elstadt like? Haven’t seen much of SA super rugby this year.

Elstadt plays for Toulouse ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Elstadt plays for Toulouse ;)

Not really doing my username justice by asking that question!! Do you think Kwagga Smith is being saved for Abs? SA have some great options in the back 5, will be interesting to see who is picked.

Not really doing my username justice by asking that question!! Do you think Kwagga Smith is being saved for Abs? SA have some great options in the back 5, will be interesting to see who is picked.

Yep, Rassie said himself he's holding players back and sending them to NZ ahead of time to acclimatise for the ABs game, hence the sort of mismatch squad for the Australia game.

Depends on how Rassie sets up the team, but yeah Smith must be among the front runners to start... Maybe Loue gets the start?? They've so much big guys maybe they will go to smith for the something extra.

Immaterial really cos Kolisi is the incumbent

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Is he planning on hammering the beers back while watching the greatest rugby teams in the world play each other?

Well if he does i hope he wears a diaper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Really pumped up for both of tomorrow's games, especially NZ vs Argentina. Sevu Reece's first AB's cap could be epic. And with Sonny Bill out yet again with an injury is there still an outside chance for the return of Ma'a Nonu?

Having watched little rugby over the summer the rise, and rise of 22-year-old Sevu Reece from nowhere to being the top try scorer in the Super 15 competition nearly evaded me, The YouTube video below is phenomenal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Really pumped up for both of tomorrow's games, especially NZ vs Argentina. Sevu Reece's first AB's cap could be epic. And with Sonny Bill out yet again with an injury is there still an outside chance for the return of Ma'a Nonu?

Having watched little rugby over the summer the rise, and rise of 22-year-old Sevu Reece from nowhere to being the top try scorer in the Super 15 competition nearly evaded me, The YouTube video below is phenomenal!

Sonny Bill being injured is the best thing that happened to the Allblacks .It's Laumape time. I expect the pumas to get a hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Del.Monte wrote: »

Ok good finishes but nothing you wouldn't expect from a top class winger. I watched a lot of the games and it was the exquisite cross field kicks, the centres line breaks, the loose forwards line breaks, the animation to draw defenses in after phases to create the space. Yes he finishes well but its handy when your team put it on a plate for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Ok good finishes but nothing you wouldn't expect from a top class winger. I watched a lot of the games and it was the exquisite cross field kicks, the centres line breaks, the loose forwards line breaks, the animation to draw defenses in after phases to create the space. Yes he finishes well but its handy when your team put it on a plate for you.

Something I have been thinking also. I don't see any Joe Roks/Sivivatu style swerve or Milner shudder step. A lot of those tries were relative tap ins compared to the highlight reel of other wingers like a Ben Lam Naholo or Alaimalo (not that i would necessarily select any of them).

Hopefully he is the goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

If James Lowe was playing in NZ right now he’d be starting ahead of Reece, I reckon.

Advertisement