Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

duty-free after brexit

• 18-07-2019 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

If it comes to pass this will make travelling through the airport even more unpleasant but there is probably money to be made there.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tax-cuts-back-on-the-cards-but-pensioners-to-lose-out-38323602.html

"Around 7.6 million passengers arrived in Ireland from the UK in 2017 and the reports warn the tax-free goods will promote "fiscally motivated travel".

If 50pc of the total passengers arriving into Ireland from the UK availed of tax-free allowances within the fixed limits for cigarettes and spirits, this would involve the importation of 760 million cigarettes and 3.8 million litres of spirits.

While this would be a boon for some shoppers, the impact on the Irish retail sector has not been quantified."

Could this be taken to extremes and an absurd situation develop where a flight from somewhere like Liverpool to Dublin circles a couple of times off the coast of Wales in order to allow the cabin crew to sell Duty Free fags and Spirits to all the passengers onboard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think the government will do all they can with emergency Brexit legislation to ensure no duty free between UK and ROI.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/duty-free-brexit-4514601-Feb2019/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

rivegauche wrote: »
    Could this be taken to extremes and an absurd situation develop where a flight from somewhere like Liverpool to Dublin circles a couple of times off the coast of Wales in order to allow the cabin crew to sell Duty Free fags and Spirits to all the passengers onboard.

No because the cost of the extra fuel would be racking up a lot faster than any duty free the could sell.

Plus nothing like 50% of people would buy duty free. Most people don’t smoke anymore, business travellers generally aren’t interested in shopping and I find the lugging around heavy bottles is more hassle than the few quid you save.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SAS are canning onboard sales - bar food - due to it costing more in fuel to carry the weight than its worth. It'll be the airport shops making the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think the government will do all they can with emergency Brexit legislation to ensure no duty free between UK and ROI.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/duty-free-brexit-4514601-Feb2019/

Not sure how that will work, surely UK to ROI duty free couldn't be stopped as UK airports will sell to anyone going to non UK destination. I suppose our government will be utterly stupid enough to stop people travelling ROI to UK buying duty free and shoot themselves right in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Can anyone old enough remember was there Duty Free crossing into Northern Ireland in the old days, Drink and Booze at UK Duty paid prices is not advantageous or competitive, wheras Duty free would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

theguzman wrote: »
    Can anyone old enough remember was there Duty Free crossing into Northern Ireland in the old days, Drink and Booze at UK Duty paid prices is not advantageous or competitive, wheras Duty free would be.

No Duty free was only available when you were in international waters /airspace as part of your trip, so more than 12 miles off the coast of both countries this included pre flight duty free areas for said trips. On the old B&I ferries, they used to open the Duty Free shop once you had hit the required distance, out of Liverpool or wherever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Land border duty free isn't allowed in the EU and I think arrivals duty free is limited also. UK in a total crash out situation could do it but it'd be a desperation attempt to get in foreign currency like the East Berlin ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not sure how that will work, surely UK to ROI duty free couldn't be stopped as UK airports will sell to anyone going to non UK destination. I suppose our government will be utterly stupid enough to stop people travelling ROI to UK buying duty free and shoot themselves right in the foot.
    It wouldn't be a question of whether you could buy the stuff at a UK airport but of whether, having bought it, you could import it into Ireland.

And, assuming a no-deal Brexit, the answer is yes, you could, subject to the usual duty free allowances that apply to passengers coming from non-EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Day trips to Holyhead on the ferry were big in the 80’s for duty free. Went on a couple of them as a kid. The cigarette companies used to have women walking around the bar wearing a branded sash, carrying a silver tray with smokes displayed on it and offering free samples.

The drink in the ships bar was also duty free so cheap pints.

I suspect this was all just a bit of craic in the grim 80’s rather than a real money saver.

On arrival back in Dublin people would be concealing boxes of smokes under their clothes or pouring whiskey into flasks before running the gauntlet through customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a question of whether you could buy the stuff at a UK airport but of whether, having bought it, you could import it into Ireland.

And, assuming a no-deal Brexit, the answer is yes, you could, subject to the usual duty free allowances that apply to passengers coming from non-EU countries.

The funny thing is in lots of EU countries the price of cigarettes is actually cheaper than the price of Dublin Airport duty free, at €55 odd a 200 pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Same as duty free booze, 1L of Jameson is far cheaper om board Ryanair than the loop, not to even mention shops in Canary Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

TheDriver wrote: »
    Same as duty free booze, 1L of Jameson is far cheaper om board Ryanair than the loop, not to even mention shops in Canary Islands.

Never noticed this before, very surprised, €26 at the loop and €14 onboard ryanair for a liter of Jameson.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Never noticed this before, very surprised, €26 at the loop and €14 onboard ryanair for a liter of Jameson.

They'd have to pay me the €14 before I'd drink Jameson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Brennus335 wrote: »
    They'd have to pay me the €14 before I'd drink Jameson.

It's not so bad, I attribute it to curing me of both Swine flu and Avian flu around 10 and 8 years ago so Purely medicinal, my addiction to Duty free whilst travelling has seen me stockpile around 50 litres of Whiskey, and my annual consumption is maybe two glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Day trips to Holyhead on the ferry were big in the 80’s for duty free. Went on a couple of them as a kid. The cigarette companies used to have women walking around the bar wearing a branded sash, carrying a silver tray with smokes displayed on it and offering free samples.

The drink in the ships bar was also duty free so cheap pints.

I suspect this was all just a bit of craic in the grim 80’s rather than a real money saver.

On arrival back in Dublin people would be concealing boxes of smokes under their clothes or pouring whiskey into flasks before running the gauntlet through customs.

Did the day trip to Holyhead a few times. Walked off loaded down with booze and none hidden never got stopped.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Did the Holyhead run twice while in college. Cheap booze in Wales but wasn’t Duty Free so no limit on taking it back with ye.

I’m thinking Duty Free May not be worth it for airlines. Extra weight for possible sales and revenue. Probably worth it for Ryanair/BA/Easyjet on certain Sun routes ex-UK.

Advertisement