Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling the N6 vs the old Dublin Road

Options
  • 18-07-2019 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

I'll be commuting from Doughiska to the west of the city in a few weeks, just wondering if either the N6 or the old Dublin road would be better for a bicycle...

My inclination is the Dublin road, but it'd be good to hear from anyone who cycles the N6 regularly, and those who drive it too.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

N6 has a hard shoulder, then a bike lane all the way to Rahoon/Knocknacarra - it's the main route west, with trucks etc

Take whichever is shortest

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I used to do Dublin Road from Roscam and then Lough Atalia, almost all is bus lane.
    You can also turn into Renmore and cross the railway line. That brings you to the train station without much hassle.
    Try a few and see what suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

zell12 wrote: »
    N6 has a hard shoulder, then a bike lane all the way to Rahoon/Knocknacarra - it's the main route west, with trucks etc

Take whichever is shortest
    Not great advice in my opinion. Take whichever is safer. Usually whatever keeps you furthest away from fast moving traffic.

The bike lanes on Bothar na dTreabh are useless, badly maintained and go nowhere. Then getting onto the bridge is another bag of cats. Take the old Dublin Road. Safer and less hills (more important than distance)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

Either option may be viable depending on where in the west of the city you are talking about. Consider for sure using the Dublin road for the cycle in to the city. The cycle lane coverage is better inbound, and the Doughiska road is downhill towards the Dublin road end. It's not a bad cycle actually, and you don't get nearly as many cyclists in the cycle lanes as say Dublin.

To get back to Doughiska you'll figure out a best way, depending on preferences. Expect more hills and traffic to deal with going eastbound in the evenings, but perhaps not the same pressure to get there on time. Consider the railway line and Renmore if your preference is to avoid traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

beans wrote: »
    I'll be commuting from Doughiska to the west of the city in a few weeks, just wondering if either the N6 or the old Dublin road would be better for a bicycle...

My inclination is the Dublin road, but it'd be good to hear from anyone who cycles the N6 regularly, and those who drive it too.

Thanks!
    You would be right.
    Many people go through Merlin Park Hospital Grounds on the bike going to and from the City from Doughiska. Will shorten distance of commute and cut out cycling a good chunk of the faster sections of the Old Dublin Road.
    Factor in that your route to and back on the bike may not be exactly the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement