Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Security Dublin Airport

• 17-07-2019 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Travelling to Mian-Bergamo airport this fri morning at 6.15 am. Coming from Galway so taking bus.Bus am taking will be at Dublin at 4.45.Presume this is fine - arriving at departures hour and a half before departure. Wondering these days for early flights how long it takes roughly to get through security? If got the earlier bus would meant being in departures well over 2 hours before departure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Snapgal wrote: »
    Travelling to Mian-Bergamo airport this fri morning at 6.15 am. Coming from Galway so taking bus.Bus am taking will be at Dublin at 4.45.Presume this is fine - arriving at departures hour and a half before departure. Wondering these days for early flights how long it takes roughly to get through security? If got the earlier bus would meant being in departures well over 2 hours before departure

Mornings are the busiest time, security queues grow quickly from 5 onwards. If you have bags to check in you won't have much time to spare assuming that bus is on time.

There is a gobus service from Galway in between the two you mentioned that arrives at 04.15.

The departures page of the airport website and their app shows live security queue times.

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures#

You should balance the inconvenience of being early at the airport against the consequences of missing your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You’ve posted this in at least three different forums, I imagine you have your answer by now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Just a note, most of the security guys are ignorant pricks there.

Seen a man interrogate a young french man for not instantly speaking english one time when he was just casually putting his bags up on the belt.

Control freaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Snapgal wrote: »

went to London around 3 weeks ago, flight was 8.30am got the bus like yourself from Galway, think it was the 3.15am so was in airport ant 5.45, went straight to security and it was crazy, half an hour to get through, mind you it was a Sunday morning so i dunno would that have made a diference. enjoy the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just a note, most of the security guys are ignorant pricks there.

Seen a man interrogate a young french man for not instantly speaking english one time when he was just casually putting his bags up on the belt.

Control freaks!

Yes they are dreadful. I’ve seen them berate various people for fcuk all on numerous occasions. Most recently an elderly couple had the wrong type of clear plastic bag so had to go empty the lot into the appropriate bag type- I’d say ISIS et al most he quaking in their boots with the Dublin airport crack team there to foil any terrorist plot involving shampoo bottles.
    Is it ah Irish thing that whereby you give someone with no education or class a morsel of “power” it goes to their heads completely? I find the security in English airports so polite by comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Fast track only costs a fiver, might be worth it for the peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

T1 max 10-15 mins at that hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

road_high wrote: »
    Yes they are dreadful. I’ve seen them berate various people for fcuk all on numerous occasions. Most recently an elderly couple had the wrong type of clear plastic bag so had to go empty the lot into the appropriate bag type- I’d say ISIS et al most he quaking in their boots with the Dublin airport crack team there to foil any terrorist plot involving shampoo bottles.
    Is it ah Irish thing that whereby you give someone with no education or class a morsel of “power” it goes to their heads completely? I find the security in English airports so polite by comparison

I have an issue that sets off the metal scanners in airports, so I need to explain that and then get checked out again by security. I have never come across anything but politeness and professionalism in Dublin, and that is in very stark contrast to my experiences at several UK airports, with the very notable exceptions of Birmingham and Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

jayobray wrote: »
    I have an issue that sets off the metal scanners in airports, so I need to explain that and then get checked out again by security. I have never come across anything but politeness and professionalism in Dublin, and that is in very stark contrast to my experiences at several UK airports, with the very notable exceptions of Birmingham and Liverpool.

UK airports are the worst in my experience for rude security staff. There have been lots of times I've encountered rudeness and staff on power trips. I've never had a problem in Dublin Airport. I've probably travelled through German airports (Frankfurt and Munich mostly) as much as UK ones in the last few years and the staff are always polite and even friendly sometimes. I went to Russia on holidays last month and even there the security staff at airports and train stations were always polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I was in Italy there recently and the security staff there seemed very lax and were all standing around chatting with one another. I actually forgot to take the liquids out of my bag that was being put through the scanner and no one batted an eyelid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I was in Italy there a recently and the security staff there seemed very lax and were all standing around chatting with one another. I actually forgot to take the liquids out of my bag that was being put through the scanner and no one batted an eyelid.

Found the same in Spain (Gran Canaria actually). Could hardly have cared less- no screaming at people to have their little liquid bag out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

thanks for replies guys.Think we will be fine as checked in online already.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Airport Security Staff are among the rudest people in the world.

Use fast track it's worth the fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Fast track only costs a fiver, might be worth it for the peace of mind

Fast track isint worth it from what I've seen

Saw fast track one day next to the queue I was in and they didn't get through any faster, if anything because they only had a small few dedicated lanes to themselves and so many using it , it probably took them a fair whack longer than ordinary security !

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

I always wait til I get there, suss the q then get fast track if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Thanks for replies guys. Should be fine I would say.Have checked in online anyway. Getting the Eireagle bus from Galway. My parents who have travel passes are coming with me. GoBus do not accept free travel passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    I always wait til I get there, suss the q then get fast track if needed.

The site says that you can only buy FastTrak online 2 hours prior to entering security. Do you buy it for a later time and go through anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Fast track isint worth it from what I've seen

Saw fast track one day next to the queue I was in and they didn't get through any faster, if anything because they only had a small few dedicated lanes to themselves and so many using it , it probably took them a fair whack longer than ordinary security !

Especially at that hour of the morning, lots of business travellers who have bought fast track and it ends up being no faster.
    See complaints about this online, you'd hope that Dublin Airport would have sorted by now, who knows.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Fasttrack is free at the minute if you have or know anyone on Vodafone bill pay (and you get a free coffee)

You might pick a code up here if anyone has a few free https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057990126

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

markpb wrote: »
    The site says that you can only buy FastTrak online 2 hours prior to entering security. Do you buy it for a later time and go through anyway?

They have kiosks by the entrance where you can buy fast track on the spot for €9.95.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

pc7 wrote: »
    Fasttrack is free at the minute if you have or know anyone on Vodafone bill pay (and you get a free coffee)

You might pick a code up here if anyone has a few free https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057990126

@Snapgal I've just sent you a few codes

Advertisement