Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyances On The Course

• 17-07-2019 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Rather than the obvious things like slow play etc. Some of the smaller things that annoy me are........

1. People spitting on the course.
    2. Throwing cigarette butts on the course.
    3. Lads using old and tired cliches......Eg: Pressure is for tires...Gonna hit a Gerry Adams etc.
    4. Lads using Poker chips as ball markers.
    5. Lads who are able to walk but take a buggy and drive it EVERYWHERE...won't walk 5 yards to their ball.
    6. High handicapers talking about compression rates of golf balls and how they're upgrading their shafts to this-that-and-the-other.
    7. Lads not bothering their hole to learn the most basic of rules and get the hump when told when they're doing something illegal.
    8. Inconsistent greens...:mad:
    9. Unrepaired pitch marks and divots.
    10. No-show on a Saturday morning for a club comp. TAKE YOUR NAME OFF THE SLOT IF YOU'RE NOT PLAYING so we can go ahead and not wonder if you're about to arrive/running late.

Rant over :)

Comments

• People who yap during your backswing.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

People who yap during your backswing.

Or the whispers..they're worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭touts

Those lads in the clubhouse bar who moan about EVERYTHING. Something new every day. I swear some of them must keep a list that they cycle through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Rather than the obvious things like slow play etc. Some of the smaller things that annoy me are........

1. People spitting on the course.
    2. Throwing cigarette butts on the course.
    3. Lads using old and tired cliches......Eg: Pressure is for tires...Gonna hit a Gerry Adams etc.
    5. Lads who are able to walk but take a buggy and drive it EVERYWHERE...won't walk 5 yards to their ball.
    6. High handicapers talking about compression rates of golf balls and how they're upgrading their shafts to this-that-and-the-other.
    7. Lads not bothering their hole to learn the most basic of rules and get the hump when told when they're doing something illegal.
    8. Inconsistent greens...:mad:
    9. Unrepaired pitch marks and divots.
    10. No-show on a Saturday morning for a club comp. TAKE YOUR NAME OFF THE SLOT IF YOU'RE NOT PLAYING so we can go ahead and not wonder if you're about to arrive/running late.

Rant over :)

Id love to see your list of 'larger things' that annoy you:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

People who decide to stop and tell a story just as they are about to tee off (inside my head . . . Hit the F*cking shot and tell me on the way to your ball)

Am I alright to hit (players 350 yards away) - yeah you're all right Jeff (you've been hitting it 150 all day!)

Strops after every shot - especially when the shot was'nt that bad (I played with a mid-handicapper recently who would lose it is he did'nt hit it perfect all the time!)

players who lose interest in their round if they are not playing well, and make it obvious and is off-putting to playing partners

Moaners about everything . . . "look at the state of that tree - they should remove that tree" followed on the next hole "you know what this hole needs? more trees" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Lads who practice their putting on the chipping green (just because it is nearer).
    Pi$$ off to the putting green and leave the space available to those wanting to practice chipping.

Being ignored when you say "Lads we need to pick up the pace, we are losing ground"

People who decide to stop and tell a story just as they are about to tee off (inside my head . . . Hit the F*cking shot and tell me on the way to your ball)

Am I alright to hit (players 350 yards away) - yeah you're all right Jeff (you've been hitting it 150 all day!)

Strops after every shot - especially when the shot was'nt that bad (I played with a mid-handicapper recently who would lose it is he did'nt hit it perfect all the time!)

players who lose interest in their round if they are not playing well, and make it obvious and is off-putting to playing partners

Moaners about everything . . . "look at the state of that tree - they should remove that tree" followed on the next hole "you know what this hole needs? more trees" :)

Play with a lad the odd time who will blame everything and anyone for his bad golf except himself. Duffs it - blames the birds chirping, bad one from the rough - blames the course for the "State of the rough". Leaves one in the bunker - list of who to blame is long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Awful players giving you swing tips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

1. Lads using Poker chips as ball markers.
    2. Lads using Poker chips as ball markers.
    3. Lads using Poker chips as ball markers.
    5. Lads using Poker chips as ball markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Myleftpeg

1. Lads using Poker chips as ball markers.
    2. Lads using Poker chips as ball markers.
    3. Lads using Poker chips as ball markers.
    5. Lads using Poker chips as ball markers.

This really seems to annoy people, dont understand it myself considering most courses sell these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Myleftpeg wrote: »
    This really seems to annoy people, dont understand it myself considering most courses sell these

It's just that it needs to be moved about 10 times more often than a flat ball marker over the course of a round. They are a pain in the hole to be honest

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Out for a full round and then someone cuts in right behind you and stands over every shot as if you're holding them up when you're right behind the group ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭magic_murph

For a right handed golfer, people that stand to your right when hitting the ball. - right in my eye line.
    Surely the done thing is to stand to the left or behind the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭skallywag

Young lads picking magic mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Golf just seems to be full of curmudgeon or over sensitive odd balls. :D
    It is a solo sport - so there could be a disproportionate amount of them around our game.

The obvious ones you mention are probably the only ones worth worrying about – like slow play, handicap cheating , course damage, dangerous play.

But a few of the annoying one outside of these for me are.

I’m probably going to come across as a curmudgeon old bollix.

1) Walking in – seriously grow a pair and play the round of golf. Why did you bother , things are not going your way , sorry, that is golf and life. You can’t just give up and not to mention it is just rude to play a game with someone and walk in to a more important thing that isn’t important anyway.
    2) Not returning a card – are you seriously that lazy and what about everyone else in the competition.
    3) Not repairing damage on the course and practicing aggressively from one spot
    4) Not letting someone through out of some sort of pride and lack of respect for other golfers.
    5) I’m sorry to say – keeping the flag in under all circumstances is ridiculous for amateur golfers. They will probably change rule to , once out stays out.
    6) Golfers who try to apportion blame for their **** golf on others. The list here is endless , placing golfers in the most pathetic sport ever – to name a few
    • He told me my score
    • He stood on my line
    • He was in my line of sight
    • He was too slow
    • A wing flapped on a butterfly in Asia
    Serioulsy the stuff lads come up with – the , Don’t tell me my score is the most silly one ever.

Anyway – just a few – I swear I’m not a curmudgeon old bollix – I never even mentioned the entire handicap system and no Opens at certain clubs :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Not a lot gets to me on the course, I tend to just get on with it, but there is one or two things.

-Lads who think they are pros and eye up putts from every possible angle, and then they haven't even got decent distance control so they land it way short.
    -Handicap cheats
    -not letting people through, if you are slow let people through.

I cant understand the issue with people knowing their score either. Personally I know my score at all times anyway and I don't know how people can be oblivious to theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Never get the score one myself and lads not wanting to know their score. No Jeff me telling you your score is not the reason you scratched the last 2 holes. The reason is you sh*t the pants and bottled it now get over it and buy me a coffee!!

Surely the done thing is to stand to the left or behind the person.

People that stand behind me when I'm hitting:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

- Slow play
    - Not letting people through
    - People not shouting Fore
    - unraked bunkers

Had an unsavoury incident a couple of weeks ago, I recently got married and my wife bought me membership at a well known course in Dublin. I have played there probably 5 times or more so knew my way around more or less. Not knowing any members I had to enter competition in order to play a round with a member so I could get my cards in.
    First round 2 weeks ago I get paired with this auld fella and boy was he not happy to be paired with someone who didn't have a handicap. He fcked me out of it, called me someone who didn't have a fckn clue what I was doing or where I was going, asked me what the fck was I doing joining this course plus a few other nuggets of joy. After a couple of holes he could see that I was not a novice (played to 10 previously) and was actually significantly better than he was. In the end he actually warmed to me (not before turning on every member in the place and how it was run) and invited me to play with him again. But the first 9 holes were deeply unpleasant due to the tenseness of the situation.

I sent an email to the club asking me to be paired with more open people the next time which in fairness they did.

so yeah, final annoyance is auld/young farts who take the game far too bloody seriously

People that stand behind me when I'm hitting:mad:

Maybe for their safety?:D
    No seriously though, whats wrong with that?

• Advertisement

willabur wrote: »
    -
    Had an unsavoury incident a couple of weeks ago, I recently got married and my wife bought me membership at a well known course in Dublin. I have played there probably 5 times or more so knew my way around more or less. Not knowing any members I had to enter competition in order to play a round with a member so I could get my cards in.
    First round 2 weeks ago I get paired with this auld fella and boy was he not happy to be paired with someone who didn't have a handicap. He fcked me out of it, called me someone who didn't have a fckn clue what I was doing or where I was going, asked me what the fck was I doing joining this course plus a few other nuggets of joy. After a couple of holes he could see that I was not a novice (played to 10 previously) and was actually significantly better than he was. In the end he actually warmed to me (not before turning on every member in the place and how it was run) and invited me to play with him again. But the first 9 holes were deeply unpleasant due to the tenseness of the situation.

I sent an email to the club asking me to be paired with more open people the next time which in fairness they did.

First off what a wife – any sisters. :D

From the auld bollixs perspective - if you didn’t have a handicap could you mark his card if there is only 2 of ye ?

I’d have to get the tone of your man ****ing you out of it – could be a term of endearment in parts of Dublin and in a certain tone and context there would be no real malice.

Normally there are lads like that in every club , they range from having a laugh, the old crank to a complete an utter bollix. You could have got the latter ,

But would it not be best to get a feel for the place and do a bit of ground work before sending an email about anyone to anybody. If your sending emails like that on your first outing. I’d ask the wife for a big HD smart TV instead.

I’ve never reported anyone for anything – should be able to deal with it face to face ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Well if you let all these things upset you and effect your golf, you're pretty weak minded.

Pissartist wrote: »
    Well if you let all these things upset you and effect your golf, you're pretty weak minded.

Exaclty - if someone does the slighest thing that throws you off - golf is not for you.

And what use will you be say when real pressure is on in something that could actually matter. These lads lose the head in the weekend singles.

Another one not mentioned is any type of club thrower on hands on hips lads.

Serioulsy get on with it - your an amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

• People who recount in detail all of the shots they hit on a course, especially if I don't know the course.
    • Experienced golfers who have no clue how to take relief.
    • Club Tossers.
    • Tossers in general.
    • Myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

First off what a wife – any sisters. :D

From the auld bollixs perspective - if you didn’t have a handicap could you mark his card if there is only 2 of ye ?

I’d have to get the tone of your man ****ing you out of it – could be a term of endearment in parts of Dublin and in a certain tone and context there would be no real malice.

Normally there are lads like that in every club , they range from having a laugh, the old crank to a complete an utter bollix. You could have got the latter ,

But would it not be best to get a feel for the place and do a bit of ground work before sending an email about anyone to anybody. If your sending emails like that on your first outing. I’d ask the wife for a big HD smart TV instead.

I’ve never reported anyone for anything – should be able to deal with it face to face ?

To be fair he was quite aggressive and angry. He wasn't having a laugh

In my mail I just asked them to check that anyone they paired me with was someone who was aware and accepting of the fact that I was new to the club and not in the competition. I have heard since that he has been disciplined due to how he went on with the staff that same morning

willabur wrote: »
    To be fair he was quite aggressive and angry. He wasn't having a laugh

In my mail I just asked them to check that anyone they paired me with was someone who was aware and accepting of the fact that I was new to the club and not in the competition. I have heard since that he has been disciplined due to how he went on with the staff that same morning

Seems a bit of a mad club.

Day 1 out.

Dbu wrote: »
    Maybe for their safety?:D
    No seriously though, whats wrong with that?

In front of the person hitting is the place to stand, that's what i was always taught. It's just good etiquette. Standing behind someone is just a bit unnerving.

In front of the person hitting is the place to stand, that's what i was always taught. It's just good etiquette. Sanding behind someone is just a bit unnerving.

We differ then, couldnt give a sh1te where they stand. I played of match play as a young fella, so have seen most tricks in the book as regards where guys try and stand to put you off.
    Them starting to walk just as you start your backswing was always one that used to grind me years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

People who very slowly take a sweet or crisp out of the packet while you are getting ready to hit.
    Either wait the 30s for me to hit or hurry the frick up!

• Advertisement

Lads who lose the plot after a few bad shots. YOU'RE A 15 HC SO YOU'RE NOT GONNA FLUSH IT EVERY TIME!!

Advertisement