Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wimbledon 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

walshb wrote: »
    This is the sh1t I hate about doping. "ALL are doping." Like nobody has any decency and fairness. "They're all cheats." It's insanely stupid and ignorant.

Or the "you can't win if you are not cheating." Utter horseshi1t...it's lazy and uninformed and uneducated nonsense.

Cycling has a history of cheating, yet most think, me included, that LeMond was clean.....yet to many you cannot win the tour clean....

I know during his reign EPO was yet to really take hold, but there was still dopers in the 1980s...

Yeh I’d agree with you here. There are plenty of clean sportspeople who have achieved the ultimate prizes in their sports.

glasso wrote: »
    ?

Check out the gif video on the first post of the thread. I never realised how close that first serve at 40-15 was to going in right down the T with Djokovic guessing the wrong way.

I wish I hadn't come across this!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think if you're not registered, it brings you to a different landing page.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    I think if you're not registered, it brings you to a different landing page.

Strange. I’m not registered on that site either. I just lurk. Far too many trolls there to be wasting time posting.

Here it is on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Strange. I’m not registered on that site either. I just lurk. Far too many trolls there to be wasting time posting.

Here it is on Twitter

https://twitter.com/lehunterpro/status/1150841077638860800?s=21

Tx, That person seems a bit intense.

I loved this tweet, they so nearly got it right.

EgDDVI6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Funny enough, my Spanish housemate who worked as a tennis coach in Spain (having played at a reasonably high level within Spain) before moving to Ireland, said to me the other day, he believes every single player within the top 20 is doping.

How much testing is actually done both in competition and training, does anyone know? I think I read here last week, an account of Serena Williams and her dislike of drugs related questions, to the effect that she had only been tested 40+ times in her entire career? But that could be well off the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Jaklmex

BarryD2 wrote: »
    How much testing is actually done both in competition and training, does anyone know? I think I read here last week, an account of Serena Williams and her dislike of drugs related questions, to the effect that she had only been tested 40+ times in her entire career? But that could be well off the mark.
    They do some but not a lot

There's a balance between maintaining a clean sport and damaging business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

https://www.itftennis.com/media/303199/303199.pdf

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I stopped reading after paragraph 1.....

No concept of tennis rules/play it seems.

Jaklmex wrote: »
    They do some but not a lot

There's a balance between maintaining a clean sport and damaging business

How much is enough and how much is too little?

I think the top performers are tested "regularly."

What do folks want here? A test every day, week, month, quarter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Sheridan81 wrote: »

Thanks, so in 2018 it looks the higher seeded players are being tested on average about once a month. Sounds reasonable as long as they are spread evenly over the year and periods of a number of months don't go untested. Is it testing by appointment or random turn up on the doorstep? The out of competition testing is probably more useful and looks like they apply to top 50 of men & women?

I suppose two other questions arise: is 2018 typical of the previous two decades and what are they testing for? Are they at the cutting edge of doping test programmes for athletes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

Brilliant. Complete revisionism. Some people can't accept that a winner didn't deserve to win. It happens all the time in sport. All you do is try and tip the odds in your favour as much as you can with training, strategy and execution. The more you tip the odds in your favour the more you win, but not always.

If they could play that match 100 times independently and at the same level then Fed wins at least 70 IMO.

Not a knock on Djokovic. Everyone will get outplayed sometimes and sometimes a win happens anyway. He is the just the lucky one in this scenario. I am sure he has been unlucky before and it happens in all sports. Part of the glory and tragedy of it all.

Thanks, so in 2018 it looks the higher seeded players are being tested on average about once a month. Sounds reasonable as long as they are spread evenly over the year and periods of a number of months don't go untested. Is it testing by appointment or random turn up on the doorstep? The out of competition testing is probably more useful and looks like they apply to top 50 of men & women?

I suppose two other questions arise: is 2018 typical of the previous two decades and what are they testing for? Are they at the cutting edge of doping test programmes for athletes?

It is relatively random AFAIK (I mean I am assuming they will probably not burst in halfway through your wedding). Some grouped testing isn't bad. Stops people timing them. As long as they don't know when they have a 2 month testing gap it doesn't help cheats. They can't retroactively dope after they realise they haven't been tested in two months.

Sheridan81 wrote: »

Thanks for that.

So, in a calendar yer the top players are tested circa 20 and 20 + times....

Is that acceptable to people? Seems fairly extensive to me...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Christy42 wrote: »
    It is relatively random AFAIK (I mean I am assuming they will probably not burst in halfway through your wedding)

I remember reading an interview with Federer one time where he mentions they showed up to his house on Christmas Day. Which he obviously wasn't too happy about.

I believe you have to inform them of where you'll be every day so they can just show up whenever.

Thanks for that.

So, in a calendar yer the top players are tested circa 20 and 20 + times....

Is that acceptable to people? Seems fairly extensive to me...

What surprises me is how little players are tested in-competition. Do they have a policy that all semi-finalists for example get tested, like in athletics where all medallists must be tested?

What the numbers don’t tell us is what kind of tests are conducted. Are they all urine, or are there blood tests? Is there a biological passport in place which is effective at catching blood doping?

I also don’t trust the authorities to actually risk damaging the reputation of their sports by hanging their dirty laundry out to dry. Nobody wants to experience the fallout that cycling endured.

For sporting bodies, anti-doping is a PR thing: Be seen to be doing enough so that people think the sport is clean, but don’t do too much as to risk damaging the reputation of the sport.

That’s why you need independent bodies testing.

What surprises me is how little players are tested in-competition. Do they have a policy that all semi-finalists for example get tested, like in athletics where all medallists must be tested?

What the numbers don’t tell us is what kind of tests are conducted. Are they all urine, or are there blood tests? Is there a biological passport in place which is effective at catching blood doping?

I also don’t trust the authorities to actually risk damaging the reputation of their sports by hanging their dirty laundry out to dry. Nobody wants to experience the fallout that cycling endured.

For sporting bodies, anti-doping is a PR thing: Be seen to be doing enough so that people think the sport is clean, but don’t do too much as to risk damaging the reputation of the sport.

That’s why you need independent bodies testing.

The type of tests would need to adhere to WADA, no?

It can be quite muddy the whole area....

I believe ITF are aligned with WADA.....

I would assume the actual tests are the required tests that are set iut, whether they be urine, blood or both.

Of course, National Associations come into play here as well; so they are only as strong as their weakest link, I guess.

• Advertisement

Anyway, the big three seem to be tested the same amount of times, and likely the same way....all three are clean according to the current testing, or at least not found to be dirty. I see or feel no reason for one or more of them to be any way more suspicious...

Murray another: The man is clean.....honest as well. Fair!

Rob2D wrote: »
    I remember reading an interview with Federer one time where he mentions they showed up to his house on Christmas Day. Which he obviously wasn't too happy about.

Pr1cks!

No need for this.....FFS, 364 other days in the year....

Didn't serena have trouble with the testers showing up at her door

Didn't serena have trouble with the testers showing up at her door

Yes, Serena had some very valid issues with the doping affair as regards them showing up to test. Something about the tester arriving out of the specified "whereabouts window."

Pr1cks!

No need for this.....FFS, 364 other days in the year....

To be fair, while it’s a pain to be interrupted on Christmas Day, if it’s universally known that Christmas Day is a day you can’t possibly be tested, this opens up an easy window for cheats to inject themselves and have it out of their system, a risk-free doping window. We can’t have that.

Besides, with all the alcohol drank on Christmas Day, you’d be pissing like a waterfall, so it shouldn’t take too long. :)

Rob2D wrote: »

I believe you have to inform them of where you'll be every day so they can just show up whenever.
    I searched for this and found another where he mentions that it varies by country. I guess as someone mentions national federations come in a lot and there are some weak links. He said in 10 years of competing in Dubai (at time of writing) he had been tested once. Meanwhile a tester lives in his area in Switzerland and Fed is obviously well acquainted with him.

He was also a fan of keeping blood stored to retroactively punish people if testing improves (no idea how scientifically valid it is to do this myself).

Christmas seems a little OTT. A day or two off it should still be fine. However I guess I prefer OTT as opposed to under the top as it were.

Fed goes on the beer Christmas day?

Fed goes on the beer Christmas day?

Tongue in cheek comment. But I’m sure he’ll have a glass or two of wine on Christmas Day. Why wouldn’t he!

To be fair, while it’s a pain to be interrupted on Christmas Day, if it’s universally known that Christmas Day is a day you can’t possibly be tested, this opens up an easy window for cheats to inject themselves and have it out of their system, a risk-free doping window. We can’t have that.

Besides, with all the alcohol drank on Christmas Day, you’d be pissing like a waterfall, so it shouldn’t take too long. :)

I know, but seriously, I still think it's a pr1ck thing to do.....no humanity in it....

The man is a career clean athlete. A legend. He deserves some leeway, some!

Over zealous pr1cks do this......no real justification.

Unless, and I doubt it in this case, RF is really under their suspicion.....

If it was Gatlin, for example, yes...away you go, and Stephen's day as well for good measure.

• Advertisement

Tongue in cheek comment. But I’m sure he’ll have a glass or two of wine on Christmas Day. Why wouldn’t he!

OK well his comment about storing blood samples I would take with a pinch of salt

A lot of athletes do this as a distraction

Advertisement