Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

How expensive are we talking?

Edit: looked into it myself actually, looks like that place in Panama uses umbilical chord stem cells. Procedure is circa 23k and travel/lodging brings it up closer to 30k. Yikes.
    pricing seems similar to what my client paid yes

Mellor wrote: »
    That link above appears to be PRP and not stem cells. The fact it's not clear in either case doesn't encourage me to go there.
    Ive yet to work with a single person thats gotten PRP and its made ANY difference at all - most people i work with major joint issues have major mobility problems they just kicked down the road so long that it becomes unrecoverable.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Transform wrote: »
    Ive yet to work with a single person thats gotten PRP and its made ANY difference at all - most people i work with major joint issues have major mobility problems they just kicked down the road so long that it becomes unrecoverable.
    Do you know anyone that tried adult stems?

€3000, not cheap. And by the looks of it more than 1 treatment needed.

vargoo wrote: »
    Do you know anyone that tried adult stems?

€3000, not cheap. And by the looks of it more than 1 treatment needed.
    not yet no but going to guess its going to give same outcome as PRP

not yet no but going to guess its going to give same outcome as PRP

Ah, I dunno, I'll link it again, definitely promising, but not there yet.

• Advertisement

Ah, I dunno, I'll link it again, definitely promising, but not there yet.

Honestly don’t think it will get there unless it’s fetal stem cells

Honestly don’t think it will get there unless it’s fetal stem cells

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/knee-cartilage-repair_b_876946?guccounter=1

Just looking at knees, look at those studies, you never hear that they actually heal themselves...why? Shocked me.

Any surgical procedure puts one out of action for minimum 6 months and fast track to guaranteed osteoarthritis..why has their never been a some kind of protocol developed to self heal?

Like fix whatever cause the issue/assuming not trauma/strap it up/specific exercises/ massive weight loss/diet/ etc Im spit balling /and wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

???

My link?

You just had to scroll down,
    https://medicastemcells.com/stromal-vascular-fraction-therapy/[/com]
    Yes your link. The above not the same link, but you know that.
    Referring to PRP as a Medica Stem Cell therapy is disingenuous imo. I understand that that is the company name, but others might not be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just looking at knees, look at those studies, you never hear that they actually heal themselves...why? Shocked me.

Any surgical procedure puts one out of action for minimum 6 months and fast track to guaranteed osteoarthritis..why has their never been a some kind of protocol developed to self heal?

Like fix whatever cause the issue/assuming not trauma/strap it up/specific exercises/ massive weight loss/diet/ etc Im spit balling /and wait?

Plenty of cartilage injuries are treated without surgery though. Very much depends on the damage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The first option is always to see if it'll self heal. But mostly it won't. I've spent 6 months doing rehab only to end up in surgery and have to do it all again.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    The first option is always to see if it'll self heal. But mostly it won't. I've spent 6 months doing rehab only to end up in surgery and have to do it all again.

What exactly was rehab?

Were you weight bearing?

What exactly was rehab?

Were you weight bearing?

Strength and mobility work. I was.

they/them/theirs

Strength and mobility work. I was.

Not right though is it?

Treat the muscles after.

Im trying to decide whether to try crutches for 6 months... supplements/zero resistance exercises, fasting, compression, etc.... easier to do during winter.

Then MRI again....

Probably crazy but surgery is worse...

Not right though is it?

Treat the muscles after.

Im trying to decide whether to try crutches for 6 months... supplements/zero resistance exercises, fasting, compression, etc.... easier to do during winter.

Then MRI again....

Probably crazy but surgery is worse...

I don’t understand. I tried to rehab but the damage didn’t heal and I was still in pain. So I ended up having surgery. What wasn’t right? I was back on my feet the day after surgery. Back running within 4 weeks. Full mobility returned within 8 weeks.

Sounds like you should take whatever medical advice you were given.

they/them/theirs

I don’t understand. I tried to rehab but the damage didn’t heal and I was still in pain. So I ended up having surgery. What wasn’t right? I was back on my feet the day after surgery. Back running within 4 weeks. Full mobility returned within 8 weeks.

Sounds like you should take whatever medical advice you were given.

What did you have done? Cleanout/debridement?
    Is running again....you are just guaranteeing a knee replacement down the road? No?
    Whats prognosis?

What did you have done? Cleanout/debridement?
    Is running again....you are just guaranteeing a knee replacement down the road? No?
    Whats prognosis?

Lateral release and clean out some damaged cartilage.

No, running again isn’t guaranteeing a knee replacement. I don’t really run anymore though. My prognosis is great. Is in good shape.

What have you been reading that you’re so scared of the surgery. Keyhole knee surgery is a simple operation. The rehab afterwards needs to be done right though.

they/them/theirs

Lateral release and clean out some damaged cartilage.

No, running again isn’t guaranteeing a knee replacement. I don’t really run anymore though. My prognosis is great. Is in good shape.

What have you been reading that you’re so scared of the surgery. Keyhole knee surgery is a simple operation. The rehab afterwards needs to be done right though.
    agreed - simple key hole is generally fine but the rehab after is essential

Importance of cardio if end goal is being stronger and probably kickboxing / bouldering?

Have little interest in cardio. Only reason I'd do it was before a big trek in the future.

At the moment, I'm happy enough in the gym doing a four-day routine. Is cardio something I should be doing anyway? I do 10 mins on the bike or rowing machine for the sake of getting my heart rate up but it's so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Importance of cardio if end goal is being stronger and probably kickboxing / bouldering?

Have little interest in cardio. Only reason I'd do it was before a big trek in the future.

At the moment, I'm happy enough in the gym doing a four-day routine. Is cardio something I should be doing anyway? I do 10 mins on the bike or rowing machine for the sake of getting my heart rate up but it's so boring.

It's of course hugely important but type of cardio is important.

For kickboxing I personally think you can't beat rounds of bag work(apart from actual sparring). Shadow boxing, skipping, running etc... all are good also.

you wont think it was boring 20yrs from now, cardio is important,

read this please - https://www.8weeksout.com/2016/11/01/why-conditioning-may-save-your-life/

Id add poor mobility is a major risk factor also

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    It's of course hugely important but type of cardio is important.

For kickboxing I personally think you can't beat rounds of bag work(apart from actual sparring). Shadow boxing, skipping, running etc... all are good also.
    most people cant do sustained steady state cardio and control their heart rate, and aerobic base must be built before anerobic work is performed regularly - the work you describe is typically seen as higher intensity or anerobic work

most people cant do sustained steady state cardio and control their heart rate, and aerobic base must be built before anerobic work is performed regularly - the work you describe is typically seen as higher intensity or anerobic work

I've never heard skipping or running(unless it's sprinting) described as anaerobic? Bag work can be anaerobic but can easily be aerobic also, totally depends on what you are doing. If you are focused on footwork and output, I would consider that aerobic conditioning.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I've never heard skipping or running(unless it's sprinting) described as anaerobic? Bag work can be anaerobic but can easily be aerobic also, totally depends on what you are doing. If you are focused on footwork and output, I would consider that aerobic conditioning.
    depends on level of conditioning

Aerobic doesnt scream out at me when you type - "For kickboxing I personally think you can't beat rounds of bag work(apart from actual sparring)" - most people will translate that to higher intensity work, correct me if im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi
    Aerobic doesnt scream out at me when you type - "For kickboxing I personally think you can't beat rounds of bag work(apart from actual sparring)" - most people will translate that to higher intensity work, correct me if im wrong

Bag work would be typically anaerobic. The point of the bag and heavier gloves is that you just more power and energy. Most people let loose on a bag would typically head off at a tempo they can hold for 2-3 mins. Not 20-40mins steady.

Shadow boxing on the other hand is more aerobic. Intensity and tempo is little and not fatiguing at all. Should be able to hold that for a long time. Although the purpose is typically technical rather than cardio.

Skipping can be any intensity. But depends on ability and the tempo you find comfortable.

depends on level of conditioning

I agree but aerobic and anaerobic aside, any boxing or kickboxing coach will likely tell you the same things to improve conditioning. Doing the sport itself is best, but those other things will help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Strength athletes (especially powerlifters) often viewed cardio as being a gainz destroyer and avoid any form of cardio outright, and it's a trap I fell into myself. Trends come and go, but current cardio trend for strength athletes is simply walking. 30-60 minutes a day at an average pace is light on the joints and just aerobic enough to help aid conditioning.

Anecdotally, I can vouch for trying to get out walking as complementing strength work. It might seem boring at first, but stick on some headphones while listening to a podcast every day has made lifting easier. And I do it at a different time of day to gym work. No more being out of breath after warmup sets @ <50%.

If 10 mins on a bike/rowing machine bores you, just find something similar that you think you will enjoy. Getting fresh air while doing so is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Strength athletes (especially powerlifters) often viewed cardio as being a gainz destroyer and avoid any form of cardio outright, and it's a trap I fell into myself. Trends come and go, but current cardio trend for strength athletes is simply walking. 30-60 minutes a day at an average pace is light on the joints and just aerobic enough to help aid conditioning.

Anecdotally, I can vouch for trying to get out walking as complementing strength work. It might seem boring at first, but stick on some headphones while listening to a podcast every day has made lifting easier. And I do it at a different time of day to gym work. No more being out of breath after warmup sets @ <50%.

If 10 mins on a bike/rowing machine bores you, just find something similar that you think you will enjoy. Getting fresh air while doing so is a bonus.

Greg Nuckols had a couple of articles on how cardio won't kill your gainz (if done properly) and how it would be of benefit to not avoid it.

Cardio Isn’t Going to Kill Your Gains

Avoiding Cardio Could Be Holding You Back

I find cycling to work to be the ultimate low intensity cardio. No poxy traffic or buses. I arrive at work fresh as a daisy.

A couple of days a week I even do max effort intervals on the way home for the craic.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I always figure it's generally important to be cardio fit though i wouldn't be able to say why

Being able to run away from the runny kind of zombies i guess

Advertisement