Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois GAA Discussion Thread

• 27-08-2018 10:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭

Time to start a Laois thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Laois will dethrone the reigning A Ireland Champions this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

In what?

Hurling or football or both?

Best of luck to ye then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Congratulations to the LAOIS Hurlers on reaching the All Ireland Senior Hurling Quarter Final next Sunday against the 'so called' Premier County.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Congratulations to the LAOIS Hurlers on reaching the All Ireland Senior Hurling Quarter Final next Sunday against the 'so called' Premier County.
    Also known (by themselves) as the Home of Hurling

Edgware wrote: »

I stand corrected ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭champchamp

In fairness it is (Hayes Hotel)...

champchamp wrote: »
    In fairness it is (Hayes Hotel)...

What's Hayes' Hotel (some kip today) got to do with a county thinking it's the home of hurling? AND... I know that the Gaelic Athletic Association was founded in the building

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

The sobriquet "Premier County" was given to us by a Cork man and existed before the founding of the GAA.

Massive, massive fair fcuks to Laois. Some job by EB to get them where they are today, when you consider where there were 6 months ago, nevermind a couple of years ago. Doubt if the Castletown inlaw outlaws have come back down to earth yet.

Would love to see them do the biz on Sunday, but the odds of them catching another county on the hop wouldn't be great. If Dublin were indeed guilty of complacency, the massive kick in the hole they just received has probably kicked it out of all the other remaining counties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kylo1138

I have a question, what is the difference between Laois and Laoise as I have a jersey from a few years ago which has Laoise on the crest but Laois on the back - both are Irish I presume?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Kylo1138 wrote: »
    I have a question, what is the difference between Laois and Laoise as I have a jersey from a few years ago which has Laoise on the crest but Laois on the back - both are Irish I presume?

They're both wrong.

The correct name for the county is Leix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kylo1138

They're both wrong.

I'm getting my money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Kylo1138 wrote: »

The old one is the county crest and is in Irish. Then Laois GAA designed there own so they could copyright it. Many other GAA teams did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

They're both wrong.

Everyone I know from Maryborough always call it Queen's County.

Savage new profile pic on the Leix/Laoise/Laois/Queens County Twitter page.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

thefloss wrote: »

Good article. One big factual inaccuracy however. He references Laois hurlers singing Lovely Laois in 1915. Roughly 80 years before the song was written by Christy Cullen! Surprising for Mr Rouse who is an academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They're both wrong.

If ye are going to disagree why not compromise on Queen's County ?

Best of luck today you lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

if i said laois are the new offaly would you hold it against me !!

reminds me of a crap country song but ye have talent lets hope ye are a regular feature in the championship at this stage mighty effort

laoish laoish ish ish ishish ish:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

So called? They are offciially known as the Premier county and it has absolutely nothing to do with GAA or any sport for that matter, it was a name bestowed on the county for the part the men of Tipperary played in the fight against the British - ''where Tipperary leads, Ireland follows'' and was a name given to Tipp by a Cork man nonetheless.

Thurles is where the GAA was founded and Semple Stadium has always been considered the spiritual home of hurling and again it was actually Paddy Buggy a Kilkenny man who coined the phrase when announcing that the 1984 All Ireland final would be held in Thurles.

Hartiest congrats btw on a wonderful year and a gallant performance yesterday, hopefully this will be a springboard to greater things.

So proud of Laois' performance against Tipp yesterday. Pity the 'self proclaimed' Premier County had to use some 'naughty business' in the game though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So proud of Laois' performance against Tipp yesterday. Pity the 'self proclaimed' Premier County had to use some 'naughty business' in the game though

Seriously this coming from Laois of all counties is laughable

Seriously this coming from Laois of all counties is laughable

What do you mean by that?

Do you have trouble reading in general? Trouble with seeing a player struck? I assume specsavers are active in the so called Queens county???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sure don't ye bate the shoite out of each other in club games and then go into pubs and gloat about it and put videos about said gloating online

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭1373

Ask Ross king

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Sure don't ye bate the shoite out of each other in club games and then go into pubs and gloat about it and put videos about said gloating online

Thats just Camross lads, everyone knows they are a different breed

• Advertisement

Toomevara? Thurles Sarsfields?

Advertisement