Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan The hunt for Webb Ellis

• 15-07-2019 4:47pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So there will be squads announced and world cup news popping up sooner rather than later so have at it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If the final is half as exciting as the Cricket World Cup Final (yes that's right...the Cricket), then we are in for a treat.

Might even be a repeat final of the Cricket...I hope not...but it could happen.

so have at it

Rog2.jpg

so have at it

river?version=212962&width=1340

have at it

hqdefault.jpg

so have at it

Oh wait... did you mean about the World Cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

NZ / Argentina on Sunday will be a good gauge of 2 big teams -
    plus keep an eye on SA , our probabl QF opponent - our biggest game for 4 years

Of the outsiders , think Fiji will cause a few surprises , have the usual sinking fealing about Ireland , peaking too soon, van derf flier must stay fit , and Murray must return to form or else need a new 9 - Cooney or Marmion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Venjur wrote: »
    Rog2.jpg

?width=360&version=4504482

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What will the biggest shock of the RWC be?

Could Namibia or Canada take an Italian scalp? Would Argentina beating either England or France be a shock? Could the English suffer the embarrassment of a second pool stage exit? Could wales reach a RWC final?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What will the biggest shock of the RWC be?

Could Namibia or Canada take an Italian scalp? Would Argentina beating either England or France be a shock? Could the English suffer the embarrassment of a second pool stage exit? Could wales reach a RWC final?

No
    No
    Yes
    Yes

Also reckon this could be the year Fiji really kick on and start putting themselves in contention to be the next Tier 1 nation after Argentina. They’ve been playing some incredible rugby lately, even by their standards, and should have most of their best players available despite the best efforts of their clubs. They should absolutely be targeting that Australia game with everything they have.

I could see France losing to the USA.

I could see France losing to the USA.

And still somehow qualifying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

river?version=212962&width=1340

God we really miss Heaslip at 8.

Clegg wrote: »
    God we really miss Heaslip at 8.

Probably the best thing I could say about Heaslip is he never went on Love Island.

Could say the same about all Leinster players tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

This year's rugby championship will be an important one, South Africa will be looking to keep their momentum going, Australia will want to have a turnaround from their poor enough form to date

This year's rugby championship will be an important one, South Africa will be looking to keep their momentum going, Australia will want to have a turnaround from their poor enough form to date

Didn't Rassie come out and say he's picking a B team against Australia?

Hilarious if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Probably the best thing I could say about Heaslip is he never went on Love Island.

Could say the same about all Leinster players tbh.

At least some of them don't have the support of Tony Ward like you enjoy having.

Didn't Rassie come out and say he's picking a B team against Australia?

Hilarious if true.

“I'm pretty comfortable even though I know Australia will pick their first choice team against us.

That in a way isn't a catch 22 but if they pick their first choice team‚ and we've got 15 guys in New Zealand‚ and we beat them with a mixed-up team‚ that'll be a bigger boost for us."

“I'm pretty comfortable even though I know Australia will pick their first choice team against us.

That in a way isn't a catch 22 but if they pick their first choice team‚ and we've got 15 guys in New Zealand‚ and we beat them with a mixed-up team‚ that'll be a bigger boost for us."

Interesting tactic. Basically saying they expect to lose but if they win it will be massive.

Australia will be galvanised by that but they're so inconsistent it's hard to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I think people underestimate Argentina here. Or maybe I overrated them.

They should beat France and their game with England will be 50/50 imo. Then either Oz/Wales or outside chance of Fiji in 1/4. Which I can see them coming through.

They’ve built serious depth over the last 2/3 years with the Jags. Their players don’t really get the recognition though because they’re off the radar and not English speaking imo. Matera is one of the best back rowers in the world atm.

They should beat France and their game with England will be 50/50 imo. Then either Oz/Wales or outside chance of Fiji in 1/4. Which I can see them coming through.

They’ve built serious depth over the last 2/3 years with the Jags. Their players don’t really get the recognition though because they’re off the radar and not English speaking imo. Matera is one of the best back rowers in the world atm.

I don't think you can say the Argentianan's don't get recognition any more given the Jaguares performance in Super Rugby this year. Most people are very much aware of the threat they pose given the way they've been playing.

I don't think you can say the Argentianan's don't get recognition any more given the Jaguares performance in Super Rugby this year. Most people are very much aware of the threat they pose given the way they've been playing.

I dare say your average rugby fan wouldn't be able to make half of an Argentinian starting XV..... They have two house hold names in sanchez and creevy... And after that probably matera who is absolutely breaking the frontiers of what a back row should be doing on a rugby field.

After that they will have some other European based players returning but I can't say there will be many of them guaranteed a starting spot.

• Advertisement

I dare say your average rugby fan wouldn't be able to make half of an Argentinian starting XV..... They have two house hold names in sanchez and creevy... And after that probably matera who is absolutely breaking the frontiers of what a back row should be doing on a rugby field.

After that they will have some other European based players returning but I can't say there will be many of them guaranteed a starting spot.

Wholeheartedly agree in that aspect, but I think as a team compared to say 2 years ago, general rugby fans would be much more aware after the SR campaign that there's something starting to click for the pumas.

Wholeheartedly agree in that aspect, but I think as a team compared to say 2 years ago, general rugby fans would be much more aware after the SR campaign that there's something starting to click for the pumas.

Agreed 100%

The hags went from being annual bottom feeders for their first two years, some noticeable scalps in year three, and then their exceptional year this year (a dryer day and that final could have been very different).

They played it very very cleverly by using super rugby as a testing and preparation ground for their national team for the first three years, and then used more settled and continuous selections this year. It used to drive me mad how they would chop and change every week when they came into super rugby first. Its worked for them though and they will be highly polished and very hard to beat in this comp.

I think the best France are going to play all season is their first game at home to Scotland and they'll still lose. They'll definitely lose the return leg and then it's an Italian game which does little for their confidence if they win but devastates it if it goes the other way.

They have history against Tonga, and USA have it in them to take a big if dispirited scalp.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

Wales and Argentinian will do very well I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

If we're picking upsets, I reckon Japan vs Scotland and Fiji vs Wales.

There has yet to be a RWC without at least 1 or 2 surprising results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Looking at the match schedule there and day 1 is a dud (Japan vs Russia...why, why, why?), but day 2 has Aust vs Fiji, Fra vs Arg and NZ vs SA. That's Saturday stuck in front of the TV for sure.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Looking at the match schedule there and day 1 is a dud (Japan vs Russia...why, why, why?), but day 2 has Aust vs Fiji, Fra vs Arg and NZ vs SA. That's Saturday stuck in front of the TV for sure.

You'd want to be up early here....

All those games will be over by noon. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To make sure the hosts win the opening match.

To be fair Japan are most likely only going to win two games so having one of them at the outset makes sense.
    You'd want to be up early here....

All those games will be over by noon. :)

First game is Aus v Fiji at 5:45 which is going to be out of reach for most. 8:15 is France v Argentina and 10:45 is NZ v SA.

Two of the biggest pool games all on the one morning, Aus v Fiji is a big enough game too.

Probably only get to watch France game live, won't be up for the first game and most likely at kids training for NZ v SA so will have the DVR recording everything and will avoid the interwebs for a few hours.

If South Africa win that game it's going to really open a pandora's box. Changes the entire competition.

• Advertisement

With James O'Conner back playing for Australia here is my most memorable James O'Connor World Cup Memory.

I was in the Goat with a mate and my aul lad, it was around 10:30 / 11:00 when Bowe made that break and at full time I bought the earliest round of beers I can recall getting!

Advertisement