Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temperatures ...

• 15-07-2019 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

:eek: Hundred and Three F?!?

I talk to a friend, in NZ, most nights. We're in the habit of exchanging temp's. Only, being in a stone cottage, I know my room temp's in no way reflect what's going on outside.

So, just for the amusement, I bought another, identical thermometer and put it on the wall, outside my window. Idea being I could peek out and report the outside temps.

Min / Max and Present, of course. Saturday hit 99.1F. Yesterday was a blistering 99.3F. Looked, today, and almost lost it! Maxed at 103F!!!

And this is Leitrim. You peeps down south alright ....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Stigura wrote: »

I talk to a friend, in NZ, most nights. We're in the habit of exchanging temp's. Only, being in a stone cottage, I know my room temp's in no way reflect what's going on outside.

So, just for the amusement, I bought another, identical thermometer and put it on the wall, outside my window. Idea being I could peek out and report the outside temps.

Min / Max and Present, of course. Saturday hit 99.1F. Yesterday was a blistering 99.3F. Looked, today, and almost lost it! Maxed at 103F!!!

That's 40c !!

Even allowing for the storage heater affect of the stone wall that's almost double the recorded temperature today. I'd put the thermometer somewhere less susceptible to interference. Or maybe buy a more accurate device. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Stigura wrote: »

That's temperature in the sun. Nothing amazing. Weather air temperature is air in the shade. You're just measuring direct sunlight.

That's temperature in the sun. Nothing amazing. Weather air temperature is air in the shade. You're just measuring direct sunlight.
    And affixed to a stone wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

And affixed to a stone wall.

What a bizarre thread!!

What a bizarre thread!!

Not if it was in the Weather Forum. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: Moved to the Weather forum... note that local charter etc. applies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

That's 40c !!

I know! :eek: (Well, I Didn't know. But, I'll take ye word for it. Obviously though, it's Bloody Hot, isn't it?!)

Thing is; This is the Third of these thermo's I have. One in here. One in the kitchen. Now, this one outside. I lined them all up, in here. Side by side. Granted, there was a couple of degrees F variance between them. It's not like they're advertised as Scientific Instruments.

And, yes, fair point about the storage effect. And, yes; It's hung on the west side of a south facing window reveal. So, we're definitely talking absolute Maximum exposure to the sun here.

But, all the same ....! Must be F Hot out there!

Oh! Well, That's mad! Weather forecast, for town, gives a max 73F! Think I'll stick the kitchen one out there too. Somewhere more shaded :confused: 30F difference Is a bit much, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

Ahh! Thanks! I hadn't seen ye post as I just came in on the alert. Showed me Srameen and I didn't realise there were other replies :)

Cool. I'll Definitely resite it now!

And thanks for the move too. I didn't know we Had a weather board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Does anyone use Fahrenheit anymore ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Does anyone use Fahrenheit anymore ?

Outside of the US? Someone obviously does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement