Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Commentators

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Morrissey is a disaster and shouldn't be let near a microphone outside of a Bingo hall. Canning is fine,professional and a broad spectrum of people can listen to him. He has no GAA background, hes from Montenotte in Cork city

Canning is so unprofessional I genuinely cannot understand how he still has a job. Thirty plus years after accidentally falling into the position as a last minute sub for the magnificant Micheál O'Heihir, he STILL doesn't know the basic rules of the games he commentates on.

And that's because he has no GAA gackground! It's very obvious he has absolutely no passion for the job. Get rid of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Canning is fine,professional and a broad spectrum of people can listen to him. He has no GAA background, hes from Montenotte in Cork city

Canning is an absolute dinosaur, and is inexplicably given the All-Ireland finals year after year. Maloney absolutely miles ahead of him. He's spent the last decade or so trying (and failing) to stay relevant by referring to players by their nicknames as if he's down with the kids.

"The man they call Star" etc etc

Again yesterday he rambling on about John O'Dwyer's nickname being Bubbles (or "Bobbles" if you're Canning). No **** Ger.

His accent is grating, he continuously gets player names wrong, gets ahead of himself by calling points or wides when he hasn't a clue whether they're either, then has to backtrack.

If he was in any other organisation he'd be out on his ear years ago. He'll no doubt get the football All-Ireland again this year, which tells you everything you need to know about RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I've never understood the fascination with Micheal o hehir. I know when people only had radio he was all they had, but when you watch old all Ireland finals with his commentary, he doesn't commentate on half the goings on. Very overrated.

O murahochtaigh was becoming a bit of a caricature of himself towards the end, kinda full of **** at times with the stories. I'd take them with a pinch of salt and wouldn't believe half of them!

Darragh moloney is the only good proper commentator in rte. Marty Morrissey is a joke, his prepared monologues I think ruined the most recent 2 all Ireland hurling finals at the end. Marty trying to make everyone emotional with a load of guff but hasn't the skill to make it sound off the cuff, he's an amateur.
    I'd take ger Cannings bored polished tones over Marty Morrissey every day of the week. All in all, rte should pay Darragh moloney double to commentate on everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

And worst of all about Canning is his utterly dreadful, clipped, artificial accent.

'Last' is not pronounced 'lost' Ger. Nor is there such a word as 'awfter'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I've never understood the fascination with Micheal o hehir. I know when people only had radio he was all they had, but when you watch old all Ireland finals with his commentary, he doesn't commentate on half the goings on. Very overrated.

O murahochtaigh was becoming a bit of a caricature of himself towards the end, kinda full of **** at times with the stories. I'd take them with a pinch of salt and wouldn't believe half of them!

Darragh moloney is the only good proper commentator in rte. Marty Morrissey is a joke, his prepared monologues I think ruined the most recent 2 all Ireland hurling finals at the end. Marty trying to make everyone emotional with a load of guff but hasn't the skill to make it sound off the cuff, he's an amateur.
    I'd take ger Cannings bored polished tones over Marty Morrissey every day of the week. All in all, rte should pay Darragh moloney double to commentate on everything!

Totally agree.

Darragh Moloney is by a country mile the best commentator available.

Quite enjoy Pauric Lodge on the wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I think those of us discussing the commentators here agree that Darragh Maloney is the best by a long way,as regards Marty Morrisey and Ger Canning,I prefer to listen to Marty.I just think Canning has always been dreadful.Thats my view,but other people have their opinions,thats debate and argument working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Thought Brian carroll was poor in the commentary on the leinster final today.. Poor analysis and described situations incorrectly.

Love Tommy Walsh. Mighty passion and good analysis of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

O'Hehir was a much better on radio.I think he thought that when we could see the pictures on tv he didnt have to bother.I think his greatest commentating moment was Foinavon in the 1967 Aintree Grand National .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tommyled1984

He speaks properly,none of the "looked I suppose"slaughtering of the English language.

Ive heard mcstay say that exact quote numerous times "looked I suppose" during analysis...Im sure most GAA fans would get over the odd grammar mistake.

Anyway I'm not saying Mcstay is a bad pundit. I dislike him because he often butts in on other pundits while they're giving their analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Sure look it, 'twas unreal.

Bring back Cyril Farrell and his suits that looked like 1970s wallpaper :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bonniedog wrote: »

One of his suits was there yesterday. Was Dónal Óg wearing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭threeball

Bonniedog wrote: »

Did Cyril pack it in or was he pushed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

PARlance wrote: »
    Martin was on MidWest Radio yesterday and he was nearly gone in added time. He was another poor kickout away from a heart attack.

He's very good on radio, no malice in him at all.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

In fairness i think O'Hehir is remembered for his radio commentary. As a kid i vaguely remember every Sunday listening to him, and if you were at the beach or somewhere like that you would see loads of men and kids standing around a car listening to the radio on a Sunday afternoon, hanging on his every word

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agree.

Darragh Moloney is by a country mile the best commentator available.

Quite enjoy Pauric Lodge on the wireless.

Mike Finnerty at Sky (and formerly TV3, amongst others) is about the best on TV imo.

Would far prefer him to most of the grating and irritating guys at RTE.

+1 for Mr. Lodge. He's very listenable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Canning is ok if only he'd stop saying the word 'dayboo' 3 or 4 times every match.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In fairness i think O'Hehir is remembered for his radio commentary. As a kid i vaguely remember every Sunday listening to him, and if you were at the beach or somewhere like that you would see loads of men and kids standing around a car listening to the radio on a Sunday afternoon, hanging on his every word

There's probably also an element that he was the only one who people heard commentating at that time and so a generation grew up listening to him without their parents or grandparents saying how good someone else was that came before him.

That nostalgic sense of their childhood led to many people still talking about him (I think) even when Micheal O'Mhuircheartaigh and Ger Canning and the likes came on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Canning is ok if only he'd stop saying the word 'dayboo' 3 or 4 times every match.

Another of his annoying habits.

If things suddenly get exciting during the last 5 minutes, he shouts....
    "SOME MATCH" !!

Ah Ger, were you not watching for the last hour?
    It was a snoozefest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Mike Finnerty at Sky (and formerly TV3, amongst others) is about the best on TV imo.

He used to be on Mid West Radio. The man can work a cliche into anything!
    He's not great to be fair and isn't a patch on Darragh Maloney or the guy from Eir whose name I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

He used to be on Mid West Radio. The man can work a cliche into anything!
    He's not great to be fair and isn't a patch on Darragh Maloney or the guy from Eir whose name I can't remember.

Dave Mc Intyre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

This is the new up and coming RTE commentator;
    Lovely D4 accent.
    A lovely turn of phrase.
    A master of saying nothing , but lets the action speak for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭threeball

seligehgit wrote: »
    Dave Mc Intyre?

McIntyre isn't bad. At least he knows the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭C__MC

I enjoy Gary mac donnacha

The English language gets battered on the Sunday game

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Zeek12 wrote: »

I second this. Very natural commentary, and he knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

What's the going rate for a pundit for a night on The Sunday Game? I've heard between 1000 and 1500. Would RTE be obliged to reveal the figures if I enquired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Hockney wrote:
    Again yesterday he rambling on about John O'Dwyer's nickname being Bubbles (or "Bobbles" if you're Canning). No **** Ger.

Hockney wrote:
    Canning is an absolute dinosaur, and is inexplicably given the All-Ireland finals year after year. Maloney absolutely miles ahead of him. He's spent the last decade or so trying (and failing) to stay relevant by referring to players by their nicknames as if he's down with the kids.

Also starts to cream himself in the last 10 mins of an All Ireland Final when it's looking like Dublin are going to win. No problem if he's a Dub supporter personally, but it's very grating listening to him sounding like he's on honeymoon every time of them gets a point or god forbid a goal. Ok we get it you want Dublin to win. You would never get that with Martin Carney on RTE when Mayo are playing. Now when he's on Mid West though that's a different kettle of fish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Bonniedog wrote:
    Sounds like a Compton rapper

Bonniedog wrote:
    What sort of monster calls their boy Jamar?

I believe his father is African American, came over from the states to coach basketball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I noticed Tomas O'Se got his words mixed up, "He should never have went for that ball what at all", he meant to say whatsoever.

My favourite commentator is Jimmy Smyth who did BBC and UTV games years ago, I actually witnessed a live commentary from him during a charity game, he commentated through a megaphone.

I don't like the new BBC commentator, he is from my local area, his accent annoys me, a country boy trying to be a well spoken Belfast person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I don’t listen to GAA commentators mostly but have to say Oisin Mcconville was bad today. Was so disconnected from the flow of the game. Didn’t catch on at all that this was a statement performance from Kerry. Called it “Championship-lite” and criticized Kerry for not pushing on like Dublin would. They were 10 points up at the time.

Spillane and Mcstay got the tone right in the studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭technocrat

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I don’t listen to GAA commentators mostly but have to say Oisin Mcconville was bad today. Was so disconnected from the flow of the game. Didn’t catch on at all that this was a statement performance from Kerry. Called it “Championship-lite” and criticized Kerry for not pushing on like Dublin would. They were 10 points up at the time.

Spillane and Mcstay got the tone right in the studio.

The main commentator Darragh Maloney is the best RTÉ have.
    Canning & Morrissey are beyond brutal full of cliched statements !

Advertisement