Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite Meaningful Lines/Scenes in the Series

• 08-06-2019 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Reminiscing this evening of the scene where the The Night King is killed in Season 8 (I enjoyed the score). It got me thinking of what is my favourite or most noteworthy 'lines' from the Game of Throne Series. Of course, there are a lot that instantly come to mind. But I think my three favourite lines, taking into consideration the acting and significant moment of the scenes itself are;

''Theon, you're a good man. Thank you''

Personally, Theon was one of my favourite characters. I thought Alfie Allen portrayed him brilliantly. Theon's protection of Bran was admirable and Bran thanking him by telling him he was a 'good man' felt to me, a release of guilt for Theon and a weight of his shoulders. I felt he needed to hear that from Bran, or a Stark to finally face his own death.

''That's not a monster I told Cersei, that's just a baby''

'I will be your champion' - Oberyn Martell. To hear you are the subject of so much hate, shame, blame by your own family when you’re just a baby must have been heartbreaking for Tyrion to hear.

''Would you have done it? Would you have kept your oath then?''

To honor your father, protect your king, or protect the people. Jamie made the correct choice but was forever judged by the people of Westeros because of it.

What was your favourite meaningful scene/line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

^ Probably my favourite scene in the entire show, turned out to be very poignant in the last series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

Arya: Anyone can be killed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

weemcd wrote: »

^ Probably my favourite scene in the entire show, turned out to be very poignant in the last series.

No it didn't. In the writing world, it's what's known as a retcon. Retroactive continuity.

Weiss and Benioff have admitted that the decision to have Arya be the one to kill the NK came about when they were writing season 8. Therefore the notion that the melisandre/arya scene in season 2 was foreshadowing this.......can't be true.

They even changed the line around to try and make it seem like it fit more. Originally Melisandre says "...brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes..."
    Yet in season 8 they change the order to "....brown eyes, green eyes, and BLUE EYES11!!!" to make it seem more poignant. It's a cheap trick to be honest and doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

What that scene is actually foreshadowing and alluding to is Arya's journey to Bravos, learning from the faceless men and ultimately killing a lot of people. This is why she talks about a darkness inside her and how she sees eyes staring back at her.....a little like a giant hall of masks that the faceless men had.

I'm not trying to sh*t on the show but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. This is one of those times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Not exactly stand out lines but ones that were repeated by different people.

When Jon let the Wildlings through the gate, Alliser Throne said to him "you have a kind heart, it's going to get you killed". The Hound said the same thing to Arya when they met the hog farmer on the way to the wedding and Arya begged him not to kill him.

In King's Landing Ned said to Arya "we cannot fight a war amongst ourselves". Jon said something similar to Sansa in Winterfell.

I liked how Jon and Arya both wore their hair in a half ponytail, just like Ned used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Two for me.

One uttered by someone I didnt even like.

Aliser Thorne:
    "Brothers! A hundred generations have defended this castle. She has never fallen before and she will not fall tonight. Those are Thenns on our walls, they eat the flesh of the men they kill! Do you want to fill the belly of a Thenn tonight? Tonight we fight! And when the sun rises, I promise you, Castle Black will stand! The Night's Watch will stand! With me now, now with me!"

I just loved it. He was such a pr1ck but he redeemed himself a lot in this moment. He was brave and he was a good leader. I also liked when he talked to Jon about everyone second guessing your decisions.

Also from the Nights Watch, when Grenn and the other guys were protecting the gate in the tunnel against an attacking giant. They knew they couldnt survive.

Grenn:
    "The Gods aren't down here! It's just the six of us, do you hear me?!"

• Advertisement

Oh course one of my all time favourites is also:

Bronn:
    Theres no cure for being a ****.

....... wrote: »

Also from the Nights Watch, when Grenn and the other guys were protecting the gate in the tunnel against an attacking giant. They knew they couldnt survive.
    I loved when they started reciting their vows to steady their nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chang_su

My two favorite scenes both involve Varys talking about what he understands the "realm" to be.

First, there is the discussion between him and Littlefinger in Season 3, where Littlefinger drops his famous "chaos is a latter" quote, but I think what Varys has to say is equally interessting:

[They are inside the throne room in kings landing]

Varys:
    A thousand blades. Taken from the hands of Aegon's fallen enemies, forged in the fiery breath of Balerion the Dread.

Littlefinger:
    There aren't a thousand blades. There aren't even two hundred. I've counted.

Varys:
    Heh. I'm sure you have. Ugly old thing.

Littlefinger:
    Yet it has a certain... appeal.

Varys:
    The Lysa Arryn of chairs. Shame that you had to settle for your second choice.

Littlefinger:
    Early days, my friend. It is flattering, really, you feeling such dread at the prospect of me getting what I want.

Varys:
    Thwarting you has never been my primary ambition, I promise you... although who doesn't like to see their friends fail now and then.

Littlefinger:
    [stepping down from the dais] You're so right. For instance, when I thwarted your plan to give Sansa Stark to the Tyrells... if, I'm going to be honest, I did feel an unmistakeable sense of... enjoyment there. But your confidante, the one who fed you information about my plans, the one you swore to protect, you didn't bring her any enjoyment. And she didn't bring me any enjoyment. She was a bad investment on my part. Luckily, I have a friend who wanted to try something new. Something daring. And he was so grateful to me for providing this fresh experience.

Varys:
    [angrily] I did what I did for the good of the realm.

Littlefinger:
    The realm. Do you know what the realm is? It's the thousand blades of Aegon's enemies, a story we agreed to tell each other over and over 'till we forget that it's a lie.

Varys:
    But what do we have left once we abandon the lie? Chaos. A gaping pit waiting to swallow us all.

Littlefinger:
    Chaos... isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, who are given the chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm. Or the gods. Or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

The second scene would be in season 8, episode 4 where varys and tyrion are discussing who their best option for a king is, however I can't seem to find a full quote, yet. Here's a snippet:

“She’s a girl who walked into a fire with three stones and walked out with three dragons. How could she not believe in destiny?” (Varys to Tyrion about Daenerys)

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I loved when they started reciting their vows to steady their nerves.

Probably one of the most moving scenes of the entire series for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

Jamie telling Brienne what really happened between him and the mad king.

• Advertisement

That scene was so good. And then the writers sh*t all over in it season 8 by having Jamie state that he never cared about the common people.

Ugh. Season 8. It's almost like they didn't even understand their own characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

This scene, which would be great in any novel.

GODS IT WAS GOOD THEN......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

This scene and Jaime talking about vows is on my top 10.
    Jaime Lannister: So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another. Where did you find this beast? :D:D

Gods the writing was strong then!!!
    chang_su wrote: »
    My two favorite scenes both involve Varys talking about what he understands the "realm" to be.

First, there is the discussion between him and Littlefinger in Season 3, where Littlefinger drops his famous "chaos is a latter" quote, but I think what Varys has to say is equally interessting:

[They are inside the throne room in kings landing]

Varys:
    A thousand blades. Taken from the hands of Aegon's fallen enemies, forged in the fiery breath of Balerion the Dread.

Littlefinger:
    There aren't a thousand blades. There aren't even two hundred. I've counted.

Varys:
    Heh. I'm sure you have. Ugly old thing.

Littlefinger:
    Yet it has a certain... appeal.

Varys:
    The Lysa Arryn of chairs. Shame that you had to settle for your second choice.

Littlefinger:
    Early days, my friend. It is flattering, really, you feeling such dread at the prospect of me getting what I want.

Varys:
    Thwarting you has never been my primary ambition, I promise you... although who doesn't like to see their friends fail now and then.

Littlefinger:
    [stepping down from the dais] You're so right. For instance, when I thwarted your plan to give Sansa Stark to the Tyrells... if, I'm going to be honest, I did feel an unmistakeable sense of... enjoyment there. But your confidante, the one who fed you information about my plans, the one you swore to protect, you didn't bring her any enjoyment. And she didn't bring me any enjoyment. She was a bad investment on my part. Luckily, I have a friend who wanted to try something new. Something daring. And he was so grateful to me for providing this fresh experience.

Varys:
    [angrily] I did what I did for the good of the realm.

Littlefinger:
    The realm. Do you know what the realm is? It's the thousand blades of Aegon's enemies, a story we agreed to tell each other over and over 'till we forget that it's a lie.

Varys:
    But what do we have left once we abandon the lie? Chaos. A gaping pit waiting to swallow us all.

Littlefinger:
    Chaos... isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, who are given the chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm. Or the gods. Or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

The second scene would be in season 8, episode 4 where varys and tyrion are discussing who their best option for a king is, however I can't seem to find a full quote, yet. Here's a snippet:

“She’s a girl who walked into a fire with three stones and walked out with three dragons. How could she not believe in destiny?” (Varys to Tyrion about Daenerys)

Love this bit of dialogue between Stannis and Davos. Excellent. Both of them are amongst my favourite characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I genuinely find it hard to watch, let alone enjoy, such clips from earlier seasons knowing the embarrassing shambles they made of S8.

I genuinely find it hard to watch, let alone enjoy, such clips from earlier seasons knowing the embarrassing shambles they made of S8.

Yes i think perhaps they should have kept to the ten episode format but i disagre it was a total shambles.

Bit rushed perhaps but not an unbelievable storyline in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't mean the storyline, I meant how rushed it was and how bad the dialogue was compared to earlier seasons.

Many characters, who delivered memorable, powerful moments in those seasons, barely opened their mouths in S8, and others, when/if they did, had nothing particularly intelligent to say either.

I didn't mean the storyline, I meant how rushed it was and how bad the dialogue was compared to earlier seasons.

Many characters
    , who delivered memorable, powerful moments in those seasons, barely opened their mouths in S8, and others, when/if they did, had nothing particularly intelligent to say either.
    Tyrion was one of my favourite characters and his performance in his trial was outstanding. After he teamed up with Dany he became an incompetent mess.

I think the main problem towards the end was that all the major characters who fleshed the story out such as Joffrey, Tywin, the Tyrells etc were gone and the two stars of the show - Jon Snow and Dany were not played by strong enough actors to carry it. I know the writing was terrible but even if it had been great, those two didn't have the presence to be stand out characters. Having said that Emilie Clark was really good in the last couple of episodes. I preferred Dany in the books. Show Dany seemed really wooden/one dimensional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Watching this scene again on Sky tonight

Has tv ever bettered this?

Advertisement