Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[13-07-19] No green line luas services

• 13-07-2019 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

It sounds pretty serious. The last line is hilarious.
    Please be advised that there is no service running on the whole Luas Green Line (Bridesglen to Broombridge) for the moment and until further notice.

This is due to a technical fault.

Luas maintenance staff are working to fix a technical fault on the Green Line overhead power lines.

This fault became apparent overnight when trams were undergoing their regular inspection.

Some tram pantographs were slightly damaged on inspection indicating an issue with the overhead power line.

The pantograph is the device on the top of the tram that connects the electrical power from the overhead lines to the tram.

Technicians are working to identify where the fault is. It is not possible to operate a tram service on the Green Line until the technicians identify what and where the problem is.

To operate trams in the affected area could result in significant damage to the overhead lines resulting in significantly extended downtime.

Luas tickets are valid on Dublin Bus.

In addition to Dublin Bus, a limited alternative bus will operate between Bridesglen and Stillorgan. Customers should note they will need to exit this bus at Sandyford for onward travel Northbound by Dublin Bus.

We want to thank all customers for their patience and apologise for this inconvenience.

Please check www.luas.ie, www.aaroadwatch.ie or follow us on Twitter for regular updates.

Please see dublinbus.ie for assistance or https://www.transportforireland.ie/ for planning your trip.

Luas Red Line is operating normally.

All lifts and escalators are in full working order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

Update:
    Please be advised that there is a limited service operating between Broombridge and Dawson. 15 minute frequency between Broombridge and Dawson in both directions. No service between SSG and Brides Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

They learned no lessons from their control center going down then I see, still no backups :rolleyes: or emergency plans

Were so lucky were neutral and don't get involved in things that can bring terrorist attacks on us, our CIP is sh1t, you could easily paralyze this entire country by hitting a few week spots.

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    They learned no lessons from their control center going down then I see, still no backups :rolleyes: or emergency plans

I'm not sure what backup you could have for an overhead line failure.

More details on the bus:
    the alternative bus is picking up passengers at all affected stops between Brides Glen and Stillorgan except Laughanstown. Frequency of the buses is 15-20 minutes depending on the road traffic

markpb wrote: »
    I'm not sure what backup you could have for an overhead line failure.
    I'm not suggesting like a second set of lines or anything I'm wondering why you'd not have spare parts and an on-standby team for such things.

I'm quite prepared to be corrected but the fact that this is gonna last all day suggests they are either waiting for new parts or personnel or it's a fault that takes a long time to fix.

I could be (and hope) I'm wrong and that ti's just a case of some kinda cascade going down the lines and they need to fix it section by section.

I worry about how vulnerable such points are in this country were very easily disrupted

• Advertisement

I'm not suggesting like a second set of lines or anything I'm wondering why you'd not have spare parts and an on-standby team for such things.

The biggest delay so far has been the fact that they knew the OHLE was broken from the tram damage but that didn't tell them which part of the OHLE was affected. I'm reasonably sure they have spare parts for commonly affected components.

Another update. Bad news:
    Due to the nature of the fault we do not expect services to resume this afternoon or into early evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Lucky it's happened on a Saturday in the middle of July and not a Monday morning in the middle of November. Hopefully it gets fixed asap.

The biggest delay so far has been the fact that they knew the OHLE was broken from the tram damage but that didn't tell them which part of the OHLE was affected. I'm reasonably sure they have spare parts for commonly affected components.

So the time consumption is in searching for it?
    Is there not computer software to assist them with this? I know they have software for signaling and whatnot does it not have errors in the overlines pop up on a map?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Physical damage that is still carrying current successfully is not going to show on a software test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So the time consumption is in searching for it?
    Is there not computer software to assist them with this? I know they have software for signaling and whatnot does it not have errors in the overlines pop up on a map?

Full line (incl depots) inspection probably required.

Some improvement
    Services are operating from Broombridge-Sandyford. Please expect delays of 20+ minutes as service returns to normal. Please note there is no service operating between Brides Glen and Sandyford.

Back to normal:
    Services are now operating all stops. Please expect minor delays as service returns to normal. We would like to thank our passengers for your patience as we worked to resolve the earlier fault. Thank you and apologies for any and all inconvenience caused today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Shocking the vandalism and anti social behaviour on that line causing all that disruption.

Shocking the vandalism and anti social behaviour on that line causing all that disruption.

Was it? I haven't seen that posted anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was it? I haven't seen that posted anywhere else.

Was tongue in cheek comparing it to the so called Dreaded Red Line. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Yeah the constant gunfire and having to wear flakjackets gets tiresome...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

Funnily enough, Luas themselves, consider the Green Line worse for anti-social behavior than the Red Line.

DoctorPan wrote: »
    Funnily enough, Luas themselves, consider the Green Line worse for anti-social behavior than the Red Line.

I would agree south of Central Park in places have problems.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I would agree south of Central Park in places have problems.

They were being politely vague. The problems are at Leopardstown Valley and Ballyogan Wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Tow

I'm quite prepared to be corrected but the fact that this is gonna last all day suggests they are either waiting for new parts or personnel or it's a fault that takes a long time to fix.

You are 100% correct. This is exactly what caused the several day outage when a tram caught a tree in Ranelagh and the driver continued on his merry way to Charlemont, damaging the line between thew two stops.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

They needed to perform a visual inspection of the entire system to locate the fault, it appears the issue was located beyond Carrickmines. Luas doesn't have the fancy optical tech used on high speed lines to perform this testing.

They correctly acted when they found a number of chipped pantographs which suggests a damaged part of the OHLE, much much easier to inspect and fix than wait for the OHLE to come down.

With respect to the Ranelagh incident the tram would have been at up 70-80kph so the wire was coming down regardless and up front the only indication is power has failed and the SOP is to coast to a halt at a safe location.

They were being politely vague. The problems are at Leopardstown Valley and Ballyogan Wood.

Hardly worse than the red line as a whole though.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Hardly worse than the red line as a whole though.

Transdev think is it:
    The report from Luas operators, Transdev, says that an area on the green line past Sandyford is one of the most troublesome.
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/children-young-9-causing-most-15543960

I meant the line as a whole that only refers to a stretch of the line as mentions it as one of the most troublesome sections not the most troublesome

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Article dated December 2018

Dublin live indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Tow

With respect to the Ranelagh incident the tram would have been at up 70-80kph so the wire was coming down regardless and up front the only indication is power has failed and the SOP is to coast to a halt at a safe location.

Their top speed is 70kph. The tree was just passed the Ranelagh stop:

https://twitter.com/Luas/status/1042402291989577728/photo/1

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

the tram would have been at up 70-80kph

While the maximum permitted speed is 70 km/h, It is rare to experience much more than 65 km/h.

To be fair to Transdev and their drivers, speed control seems to be well disciplined.

Tow wrote: »
    You are 100% correct. This is exactly what caused the several day outage when a tram caught a tree in Ranelagh and the driver continued on his merry way to Charlemont, damaging the line between thew two stops.

I am not sure this is entirely true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Were so lucky were neutral and don't get involved in things that can bring terrorist attacks on us, our CIP is sh1t, you could easily paralyze this entire country by hitting a few week spots.
    'this country' reads like you're suggesting it's particular to ireland.
    i know of a case years ago (two colleagues were affected) where dublin airport was shut down for about two hours because a departing plane lost a windscreen wiper on takeoff (well, this is what my colleagues were told). plenty of our transport options are subject to such issues.
    look at what happened gatwick with the phantom drone.

Advertisement