Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Directing movies is problem solving

• 06-07-2019 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://digg.com/video/shazam-creator-commentary

Interesting snippet of what its like to direct a movie.

Taking it at face value some scenes in movies could land in this area of "fcuk it we will fix it later".

Watchable take tho

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That's the Shazam! director. It was posted on the film thread:
    kdevitt wrote: »
    Enjoyed this - David Sandberg addressing some nit picky issues with the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

I always liked Orson Welles' take on the role of a director as a "man who presides over accidents".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

dreamers75 wrote: »
    http://digg.com/video/shazam-creator-commentary

Interesting snippet of what its like to direct a movie.

Taking it at face value some scenes in movies could land in this area of "fcuk it we will fix it later".

Watchable take tho

Interesting video alright.
    So, directing movies involves problem solving. In this case, heavily involving the editor (and continuity supervisor).

The director is whoever brings 'the vision thing' to the screenplay. It's their take on how the premise of the film should be executed, in terms of tone, casting etc. It's always amusing to see people's reactions to announcements of who is set to direct a film, where 'the vision thing' of the director can elicit joy, horror, or meh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The likes of David F. Sandberg and Jordan Vogt-Roberts seem be quintessential 'youtube' generation directors: media-savvy and fairly open about the process, willing to chat with content creators. I like their honesty in embracing the era of nitpicking that exists now, albeit through constructive criticism;

Roberts even guest starring in an Honest Trailers to critique his own movie: though IIRC it came off the back of him lashing out on Twitter against said nitpickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Really enjoyed hearing from the Shazam director. Really interesting to hear about the discussions surrounding costumes and the whole element of timing for shoots. Also, the accidental "genius" of Darla getting super speed is great :D

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭brevity

I think some directors like getting input from actors. I remember hearing something along the lines of “I don’t know what do you think” as being a common phrase said by directors.

Christopher Nolan likes the collaborative aspect from what I’ve read. Tarantino doesn’t. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Mike Leigh has an interesting collaborative process with his actors. They'll workshop the script and improvise a lot of the dialogue, which is then recorded and inserted into the script. So while they're working from written material the words are often their own. I don't think it's been a feature of his recent, larger scale projects, but it was a feature of his old kitchen sink dramas.

Advertisement