Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best vampire movies

• 13-07-2019 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

Most people are familiar with the big money Hollywood vampire productions like Bram Stoker's Dracula, Interview with a Vampire and Twilight.

But what are your favourite vampire movies?

Personally I've always enjoyed:

Near Dark - brilliant atmospheric vampire movie that was released at the same time as 'The Lost Boys' and promptly overshadowed.

The Lost Boys

Thirty Days of Night

Kolchak: The Night Stalker

Salem's Lot.... Danny Glick hovering at the window

The old school Hammer stuff with Cushing, Lee and Cronos.

Any others that I need to watch? I wasn't a big fan of Dusk to Dawn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The 1931 version of Dracula
    Bram Stoker's Dracula from 1992

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm a big fan of the blade trilogy , vampires with James woods is decent too

Let the right one in is great aswell especially the foreign version of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd recommend the following;

Shadow of the Vampire - a meta fictionalised account of the making of Nosferatu. Willem Defoe stars as Max Schreck/Count Orlok.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night - a gem from Iran.

The Fearless Vampire Killers (or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck), from a young Polanski, is great fun.

Thirst, from the director of the Vengeance Trilogy is worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

The Hunger
    What We Do In The Shadows
    Fright Night 1985
    From Dusk Til Dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Fright night... 1985 version
    Innocent blood
    Vamp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Let the right one in. Swedish film. Young lonely boy befriends his new neighbour, a 'young' girl. Excellent film. Was remade in the US as Let me in. Not a bad film either

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

George Romero's Martin (1978) is worth seeking out. One of his best.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I wasn't a huge fan of the original Salem's Lot, thought the acting was a bit hammy and the SFX were... ugh.

Though I watched the TV mini series with Rob Lowe and apart from the... aftermath... I thought it was a better version.

*Prepares shield for rotten tomatoes*

Gonna give Near Dark a watch tomorrow I think and maybe rewatch The Lost Boys, I'm in the mood for some vampire movies now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Lost boys. Best ever and very funny in parts

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gallifreya

I am quite fond of Dracula 2000, Daybreakers and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Pretty much every decent+ Vampire film has been covered in here, except......

You guys left out the cream of the crop.. Vampire in Brooklyn..

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Stakeland, Fright Night and Blade also worth a mention, though not in the classic sense of a broody, atmospheric vampire film....Stakeland is great though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Byzantium by Neil Jordan is a gorgeous looking period film, a good cast and a somewhat different take on vampirism.

Thirst by Park Chan-wook is also a gorgeous looking film, also with its own take on what a vampire story can be.

Only Lovers Left Alive by Jim Jarmusch is a wonderful and moody film with a great cast, though as with many of Jarmusch's films it may be a marmite film.

Wir Sind Der Nacht (We are the night) by Dennis Gansel is a German film about a matriarchal vampire coven. It has its issues but is well worth watching - there's a fanedit version that improves on the theatrical release as well if you can find it.

Nochnoi Dozor (Night Watch) by Timur Bekmambetov is an adaptation of the Night Watch books by Sergey Lukyanenko, following two opposing factions of vampires. It is a distinctly Russian story and film, and while it doesn't limit itself to only vampirism it has a memorable depiction of them. The sequel is also worth a look, though not quite as good.

What we do in the shadows by Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi is a riotously funny mockumentary about a group of vampires living in Wellington in New Zealand.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night by Ana Lily Alimpour is a uniquely weird and confidently stylised film - it's a vampire film but also plays like a Western, meshing a bunch of disparate ideas into something new.

The Transfiguration by Michael O'Shea is somewhat different to most of the above, and I would say probably the darkest of the bunch, but is also an excellent film. Best approached blind, as some of the promotional material gives away more of the story than necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

May aswell mention the Underworld films. Decent action and Kate Beckinsale

Another vote for 'Martin', it has a very unique approach to the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

vampires with James woods is decent too
    I clicked in to see if this got a mention.

Thread is now name any vamp movie cuz that is the wordt sh1t ever caught on camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Let the right one in is great aswell especially the foreign version of it

The Swedish version is the only one worth watching.
    They butchered it in the remake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

Vamp, 1986, grace jones. Brilliant .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

'Lair of the White Worm' with Amanda Donohue and Hugh Grant is a good yarn.

It's not quite a vampire movie, but there is a vampiristic scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Captain Kronos-Vampire Hunter.

Zoltan, Hound of Dracula

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

There's 2 versions of the Dracula from 1931 one with an orchestra pretty much playing the whole time the other without. Advise to stay away from the orchestra one it's a headwrecker after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Necro wrote: »

Gonna give Near Dark a watch tomorrow I think and maybe rewatch The Lost Boys, I'm in the mood for some vampire movies now!!

Did you watch it? Near Dark I mean....

I saw it as a kid years ago and always remembered it but couldn't remember the name until I googled a few random words associated with the plot. I have to watch it again. Proper vampire film with a bit of originality as far as I can remember.

Gerry G wrote: »
    Lost boys. Best ever and very funny in parts

It is one of the the best movies ever!!!! :)

Death by Stereo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Vampyr.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's a pretty good fanedit version of Coppola's Dracula named The Silent Film Edition which reworks it as a silent film with the Philip Glass score. You want to be pretty familiar with the book as the font choice for the intertitles was frankly stupid, and due to the score length the titles run for a bare minimum of time, but as a different way to watch the film it's well worth it.

There is also the Non-Silent Edition of Nosferatu from a couple of years back created by an ad agency using the Getty audio library. It's interesting to see how the addition of an audio track changes the viewing experience (dialogue uses a sort of nonsense language so that there are still intertitles, since it wouldn't be possible to change the film as it exists to a talkie).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Although made for TV, this for me is the finest production of Dracula. Casting Louis Jourdan was unusual at the time but he was fantastic in the role. Also Jack Shepherd as Renfield was also excellent.

48282055321_79b136819a_b.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The Lost Boys, all day long. One of my top ten movies of all time.

Cracking soundtrack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Dades wrote: »

Cracking soundtrack too.

Lost_Boys_8x10_2_300x300.jpg?v=1513264673

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Effects wrote: »
    Don't knock the 80s for being the 80s!

I hear trenchcoats are coming back too!

Dades wrote: »

Cracking soundtrack too.

Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Effects wrote: »

Saturday night live did a p!ss take of this with John Hamm.
    The Curse of Segio
    https://youtu.be/ZNno63ZO2Lw

Advertisement