Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Diamond League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Barr 2nd! A European record for Warholm!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Well paced, as ever by Barr. Came through well in the final 100m.
    Not in the same postcode as Warholm!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Not a bad Dream Mile! A bit of a shock winner.

Wouldn't have picked Lewandowski out of that line-up.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Forgot to comment on Thursday night. Great win for Lewandowski, and solid opener for Coburn in the steeplechase. Bit shocking to see Chepkoech beaten, perhaps we'll see a comedown this year.

As for tonight, brilliant women's 1,500 race! 3:55.47 WL win for Dibaba, Hassan setting a NR in second with 3:55.93. It's now looking like the 1,500 is Dibaba's best bet for Doha, although obviously a lot can happen between now and then, but right now I'd put her and Muir as the top two at the World's. Is Hassan still trying to decide what to race in Doha? Because I thought the 5/10k was what she was focusing on going forward. Great to see McColgan and Debues-Stafford get PB's too.

What happened to El-Bakkali in the steeplechase, just a bad race? Fell away with at about 800m and then just gave up.

• Advertisement

Tomorrow night's Pre Classic in Palo Alto (Hayward Field in Eugene is being renovated) looks likely to be a humdinger. Many of the track records are around a while. The men's 2 mile is from '62!

Live from 9 p.m. on Eurosport.

Flotrack has a preview that suggests a few* of the stadium records will be revised.

*All of them.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Been looking forward to this all week, such a stacked field. The women's 3,000m could be amazing, I wonder if we'll see a sub 8:20.

Cracking meet so far.

The 2 miles was a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Cracking meet so far.

Thrilling finish..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Cracking meet so far.

Absolutely, and the women's 3000m was similar quality.

Muir's under pressure at the bell!

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Bit late to comment, but holy sh*t what a brilliant meet last night! Sifan f*cking Hassan what a beast, 8:18.49! That's possibly the new clean world record. And how about Klosterhalfen almost breaking 8:20 too! Don't think many thought Gidey would be the one setting the pace and almost winning. Such an exciting race, it's actually a distance I wouldn't mind seeing being brought back to the World's/Olympics. I wonder is there any chance this may the IAAF's long term plan, what with their cutting the 5k from the Diamond League circuits?

I'm very surprised that Ayana was a total non-factor, I wonder when was the last time she finished dead last in a race? I know it was her first race in quite some time, and she's returning from surgery, but I didn't think she'd return to competition until she knew she was ready to compete. Obviously just needs more time, and anyway the 3,000 isn't her preferred distance by a long shot. Defending the 10,000m in Doha is, apparently, the priority.

Delighted with how well Emma Coburn ran, her second fastest steeplechase ever, and with a fall. It's a shame, because I think she could've cracked the magical sub-9 barrier otherwise, or at least PR'd. Courtney Frerich opened her season with a 9:09 finish, I trust she'll get faster as the year goes on.

Some return to form for Kipyegon, hasn't raced since 2017 and beats an in-form Muir immediately on her return. I'm a bit disappointed for Laura tbh, I kinda feel she needed that win, Kipyegon is only going to get better as the year goes on, although Laura can obviously go faster too.

Good stuff happened on the men's side too, Chelimo coming from nowhere to almost win the two miles was great fun to watch. Also nice to see the Ingebrigsten's get PR's in the mile also.

All out on the razz? :pac:

Lausanne tonight. An odd end to the men's 5k. Gebriwhet took off with a full out sprint with 700m to go, celebrated the win, and then found out he still had a lap to go! :o Kejelcha won and Gebriwhet suffered on that last lap like never before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Lausanne tonight. An odd end to the men's 5k. Gebriwhet took off with a full out sprint with 700m to go, celebrated the win, and then found out he still had a lap to go! :o Kejelcha won and Gebriwhet suffered on that last lap like never before.
    Strange one indeed. If he'd looked up and seen the clock ticking over at 12:02 I think he'd have figured it out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Noah Lyles 19.50. That's out there.

A super meet. Lyles, Fraser-Price, the men's PV, the men's 1500m. Some great times behind Lyles. And Ingebritsen the younger so close to 3:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

With good pacing, Cheryuiout has a legitimate chance at El G's 1500m World record in Monaco.

He went through 800m in 1:49 in Lausanne which is insane(3:39 mile pace or 3:24 1500 pace) and that was with a 53 first lap!!! At 1100m, Cheryuiout was still dead on EL G's World Record split of 2:32.5 and just a couple of tenths outside at 1200m but EL G had gone out much slower for the first 800.

El G 1500 WR splits(3:26.00)v Cherouiyt 1500 Luasanne.

400m: 54.3 v 53.86
    800: 1:50.7 v 1:49.41
    1100: 2:32.5 v 2:32.4
    1200: 2:46.3 v 2:46.62
    1500: 3:26.00 v 3:28.72

The end result might look like a huge difference but Cherouiyt was hanging on World record pace through 1200 despite the idiotic early pace. Anytime El G attempted to go through 4/8/1200m quicker than his WR splits, he caved just as bad as Cheryuiout and EL G never opened up with a 53/1:49 which is insane.

El G also had incredible pacemaking in that World Record as his pacemaker would burst on to the global scene just months later and would become the second fastest miler of all-time and Olympic Champion in 2000, Noah Ngeny. He managed to take EL G through 1200+ that day.

With just how fast the Monaco track is compared to Lausanne(which is a more sprint biased track) and really good pacemaking, I think Cheryuiout is a legitimate threat to that World Record in Monaco this year.

Wow at Gebrhiwet doing a Salpeter :pac:
    At least it was only a diamond league race!

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the tactics properly, but if Jakob didn't hang near the back and leave himself so much work to do then wouldn't he be able to better challenge for the win? Either way I doubt he's that worried yet, should be a medal contender in Doha.

Entry lists for Monaco are out. Dibaba Vs Hassan in the women's mile is the race of the night for me, I wonder if they'll get closer to the world record. Irish representation in Ciara Mageean as well, whilst the very not-Irish Beatrice Chepkoech will be trying her hand at what (I think) is her first ever flat mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

At the time, I actually thought that it was a really astute (and bold) tactical move, go hard early and hope you have enough of a gap and enough strength to hold on when the wheels invariably come off with 200m to go. I hadn't considered that he was thinking he only had 200m to go!

Fusitive wrote: »
    With good pacing, Cheryuiout has a legitimate chance at El G's 1500m World record in Monaco.

I'd agree that he's the best chance and probably the only one capable of threatening at the moment. but it's worth remembering how rare anything under 3:28 is. Only 5 athletes have managed it.

Or even times under 3:30. Only 32 athletes have ever managed to dip 3:30, fewer than the 35 that have run under 9.9 for 100m (remember when 10s was the magical barrier for the 100m?) and fewer than the 49 that have ran under 2:05 for the marathon!

Under 3:28 would still be stunning.

I think they're the pacer splits at 400m and 800m posted above so Cheruiyot's paces were slightly less insane, but probably still too fast from 400m - 1000m. But what impressed me and would give me hope that he might go faster is that he actually held it together quite well.

Only one person in the race ran the 700m-1500m section faster than him (Jakob) and only two closed faster than him (Jakob & Filip Ingebrigtsen)

A significant difference between him and El Guerrouj's pacing was that El Guerrouj finished so quickly, apparently running 40s for the last 300m! Cheruiyot ran closer to 42.
    Maybe I'm not fully understanding the tactics properly, but if Jakob didn't hang near the back and leave himself so much work to do then wouldn't he be able to better challenge for the win? Either way I doubt he's that worried yet, should be a medal contender in Doha.

While there's a lot of conjecture about optimal pacing in the 1500m, I don't think there is any doubt that Jakob left some time on the track. The optimal 1500m time will always involve a positive split (2nd half slower). Jakob's split from 700-1500m was 2 whole seconds faster than his first 800m split. That's huge (and the only negative split in the race). His last lap was 54.86, compared to Cheruiyot's 56.67.

Doha's so far away but I suspect the Ingebrigtsens have planned their seasons appropriately. And Jakob is such an intelligent racer - he doesn't have the speed of the very top 1500m guys but, as long as he stays fit, he will be going under 3:30.

Here are the relevant splits from the first 6:

first 800m / last 800m (final lap)

Cheruiyot 1:49.8 / 1:52.77 (56.67)
    J Ingebrigtsen 1:53.3 / 1:51.26 (54.86)
    Souleiman 1:50.3 / 1:54.29 (57.29)
    F Ingebrigtsen 1:51.9 / 1:53.02 (56.32)
    Musagala 1:50.9 / 1:54.53 (57.33)
    Tefera 1:50.6 / 1:54.59 (58.19)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

El Guerrouj went through 800 in 1:50.73 on his way to 3:26. That seems pretty optimal to me.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    El Guerrouj went through 800 in 1:50.73 on his way to 3:26. That seems pretty optimal to me.

Well, the best argument for the merits of any strategy are the results it produces and his is the fastest time in history so I'd agree with you there!

Sacksian wrote: »
    I'd agree that he's the best chance and probably the only one capable of threatening at the moment. but it's worth remembering how rare anything under 3:28 is. Only 5 athletes have managed it.

Or even times under 3:30. Only 32 athletes have ever managed to dip 3:30, fewer than the 35 that have run under 9.9 for 100m (remember when 10s was the magical barrier for the 100m?) and fewer than the 49 that have ran under 2:05 for the marathon!

Under 3:28 would still be stunning.

I think they're the pacer splits at 400m and 800m posted above so Cheruiyot's paces were slightly less insane, but probably still too fast from 400m - 1000m. But what impressed me and would give me hope that he might go faster is that he actually held it together quite well.

Only one person in the race ran the 700m-1500m section faster than him (Jakob) and only two closed faster than him (Jakob & Filip Ingebrigtsen)

A significant difference between him and El Guerrouj's pacing was that El Guerrouj finished so quickly, apparently running 40s for the last 300m! Cheruiyot ran closer to 42.

True and it's a big ask but I think he's got a big chance(Monaco is a ludicrously fast track for mid distance( Lusanne is a pure sprinters track, look at Lyles and SAFP and all the fast sprint World Records set there and fast times, only one person has ever broke 3:30 there before)

It's also worth noting that El G's WR splits are Noah Ngeny's and Robert Kibet's splits from pacing too just like Cheryuiout's so we are back to square one on the insanity of the splits vs El G. If you watch the race, El G had Robert Kibet and Ngeny lead him through and he sat a little bit off and went through ~55 flat and 1:51mid behind the pacers. The official splits quoted are Kibet's 400m and 800m and Negeny up to 1100 before El G took over. You are talking a second ahead at 400 and nearly a second and a half ahead through 800m on the head to head splits. Cheryuiout's first 300 was a sub-40 second split(which would be a good opening for most 800 guys(even paced 1:46 flat). These splits aren't just a comparison to any great performer or performance, they are a comparison to the greatest 1500 runner ever and his greatest 1500 ever. Going out that much faster than world record splits and hanging in that well despite him looking thrashed coming down the last 200 only leads to one conclusion for me, Cheryuiout can run much faster and:

Not many people have broken even 3:28 for 1500 as you say never mind 3:27 or come close to El G's mark but I don't see these things as a barrier for him. I would be shocked bar a blow up if he doesn't run under 3:28 in Monaco and mildly surprised if he doesn't run under 3:27. He's in a different league to everyone else. Everything is lined up for a fast time there, the track is one of the fastest in the World, the pacing should be World class with Som leading it out, Cheryuiout will have a chance at a huge payday as he will get paid by the MD to go with the pacers and he is in incredible form right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

whats the difference between a sprinters track and md track? What is Santry? Notice it's harder than other tracks

IvoryTower wrote: »
    whats the difference between a sprinters track and md track? What is Santry? Notice it's harder than other tracks

Generally, a fast sprint track is harder while more distance biased tracks are softer. Monaco is an even stranger case because it's a suspended track, there's two floors underneath it. Nick Willis reckons it might not even be the surface there but the fact it's suspended.that makes it the fastest track in the World.

Entry lists for Monaco are out. Dibaba Vs Hassan in the women's mile is the race of the night for me, I wonder if they'll get closer to the world record. Irish representation in Ciara Mageean as well, whilst the very not-Irish Beatrice Chepkoech will be trying her hand at what (I think) is her first ever flat mile.

Well Dibaba and Chepkoech didn't show up, but Sifan Hassan certainly did. New world record! :eek:

Absolutely huge performance for Ciara with a 4:19.03. It'll probably get lost in the placing as 1500/mile is swimming in depth right now. 3.5 second PB and equivalent to 3:59.7 for 1500. She probably went through 1500 tonight at close to or faster than 1500 PB too. Really good sign for her to say the least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fusitive wrote: »
    Absolutely huge performance for Ciara with a 4:19.03. It'll probably get lost in the placing as 1500/mile is swimming in depth right now. 3.5 second PB and equivalent to 3:59.7 for 1500. She probably went through 1500 tonight at close to or faster than 1500 PB too. Really good sign for her to say the least.

On her instagram post she said mile and 1500m PB
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz3qVPBCLNK/

Entry lists for this weekend's action.

Women's 1500 & 5000 metres are where it's at for me, looking forward to the Kipeyegon-Muir duel. Also eager to see what Klosterhalfen can do after running 8:20 for 3000 in Prefontaine.

Let's Run are talking up the possibility of a Hassan WR attempt in the 5000, but I'd be surprised if she'd be able to do it so soon after setting the mile WR. I do think her PB will fall into the sub 14:20 range though, should be great to see what kind of form Hellen Obiri will be in and if she'll go with Hassan if it is a fast race. Gidey is here too but she may be tired after running 30:37 at the Ethiopian 10k trials. I expect Salpeter and Laura Weightman to PB also.

• Advertisement

Really delighted to see Lynsey Sharp get a moment like today, especially after all the abuse she's taken for speaking out about the Caster Semenya issue. Easy to forget she'd be an Olympic medallist if the rules that are currently being enforced had been in place back in 2016.

Bit disappointed Hassan didn't do better today, but she has done a lot of racing recently. I still think she can get the world record, would just need to be better rested. Also she hasn't a hope of beating Obiri in Doha if she let's it come down to the last couple of laps, will need to push the pace more in the middle.

Advertisement