Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I HATE floury spuds

• 12-07-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

I bought a small bag of new season Irish potatoes yesterday, I've been looking forward to them all day. I was anticipating the delicious, small, distinctively flavoured new potatoes that my late Mam used to cook. Ones that held their shape, covered in butter that just taste of summer.
    How disappointed was I to find my spuds had burst their skins, I ended up with these horrible floury yokes with strings inside them. Yuk :(
    Seriously what is the attraction of spuds like these

2013-08-07-18-39-00.jpg?w=500&h=666

I want my Mammy's spuds !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

I love floury spuds - load of butter and a small bit of salt and they're amazing.

Always disappointed with the waxy ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

They're gorgeous. Pass them my way!

Mr Crumble claimed he 'didn't like spuds'. After eating in his mother's house I knew why. Horrible watery yokes boiled for about an hour so that they ended up as some kind of potato mush/thick soup, and to add insult to injury, she'd then throw a load of 'spread' into this terrible concoction which was always mashed.

He changed his mind when I put on a pot of Ardfert Queens, bursting out of their skins with a nice sprinkle of salt and a good dollop of Kerrygold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Ah they're the best OP. Butter, salt and white pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Did you boil them fast OP? I know what you mean by the spuds your mam used to make and I do love them sometimes, prefer floury ones though. What breed were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

They were homeguard and they were sh1te. I cooked them slowly and not too much water, still tasteless bleh !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Know that's what I call spuds. Envious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I want those spuds. Love a good floury spud drowned in butter and salt. Food of my childhood

Looks like I'm on my own here in non floury spudland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I’m with you OP, give me a nice waxy spud any day of the week. Unfortunately they’re fierce hard to get hold of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I'm also a floury spud hater. The texture is all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Floury spuds make the best roasties, golden wonders are probably the best but when you're parboiling you need to watch them like a hawk or they'll turn to mush in seconds, my mum reckons it's safer to steam them, they soak up a lot more oil or fat than say a Kerr's Pink but the end result is better than sex.
    I'd only use waxy ones for a salad with gherkins, spring onions and a mustard dressing poured over the sliced spuds while still hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am all about waxy spuds especially in mash mmm

But the strings people !!! How can you eat those horrible fibres :eek:
    I wish I knew which breed Mam used. All I know is they came from North County Dublin and we only had them in summer. The taste was amazing, summer on your plate. I obviously didn't ask, I was too busy out playing, got the call for dinner and ran in when it was ready. Had to fight with my older brothers for the last ones and to stop the fekcers robbing mine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

jos28 wrote: »
    But the strings people !!! How can you eat those horrible fibres :eek:
    I wish I knew which breed Mam used. All I know is they came from North County Dublin and we only had them in summer. The taste was amazing, summer on your plate. I obviously didn't ask, I was too busy out playing, got the call for dinner and ran in when it was ready. Had to fight with my older brothers for the last ones and to stop the fekcers robbing mine.

FINALLY! More folk like me!. I've kind of given up on finding large waxy spuds but the baby variety tend to work for me.. Have a bag of new season at home, willing to give them a try but they'll probably end up as mash.. The thoughts of those fibers and the consistency of the spud in my hand :eek: My parents and sister were total foury fans.. Might be where i got my love of veg from.. I think i'll go to the local market in the morning for a look..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There's a time and a place for both floury and waxy spuds! Totally depends what you want to do with them. I like both equally, just not for the same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My MIL talks about "laughing spuds". That's what you have there - mouths open laughing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I wish I knew which breed Mam used. All I know is they came from North County Dublin and we only had them in summer. The taste was amazing, summer on your plate.

British Queens, no? Deliciousness on a plate. Not overly waxy, but not floury.... Though I like both :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I’m not a fan of floury spuds ! My mother grows her own and I demolished an obscene amount this week 🙈
    She’s also a waxy spud fan/ I’m meeting her tomo and I’ll ask what variety she plants and come back to you !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Totally agree, mouthfull of powder, yuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Those spuds should be ashamed of themselves right now. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

bladespin wrote: »
    Totally agree, mouthfull of powder, yuk.

Needs the same sized pat of butter to make them edible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Not likely floury spuds is treasonous talk. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My friend has an allotment and gave me some potatoes this week. Just bursting open, but not too floury. Delicious.

Outside of that, Cyprus new potatoes are my absolute favourite thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They’re disgusting. I’m in Spain now where they have beautifully waxy potatoes that never turn to mush. At home I only buy baby potatoes as they are waxy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

DBB wrote: »
    British Queens, no? Deliciousness on a plate. Not overly waxy, but not floury.... Though I like both :o

Feck no.
    British queens are the archetypal floury spud.
    In fact I'll always remember a poster in a butcher's shop in Clonmel. Big picture of floury spuds and the words "British Queens" above, and "Guaranteed Balls of Flour", below.

I, also, think floury and waxy spuds both have their place.
    A lot of Irish people seem a bit obsessed with potatoes being floury and totally dismiss any other kind of potato.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jersey royals over here are amazing when in season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I wish I knew which breed Mam used. All I know is they came from North County Dublin and we only had them in summer.

Keogh's are one of the main North County growers and they have information on all the varieties HERE

I like both floury and waxy, depending on what way I'm using them - but those ones you have there wouldn't appeal to me at all. You really need to steam floury potatoes, not boil them, because they break up.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Can't bate a feed of Floury new Spuds, Bacon and Cabbage after a day in the bog footing turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

. You really need to steam floury potatoes, not boil them, because they break up.

I just steam all potatoes. There's no downside to steaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Those look great but if they have those fibres, they are terrible. I've not seen a new potato with that fibre texture though, mostly old floury ones.
    Get new Kerrs Pinks. Floury or if very early, they will be watery but still taste great.
    Eat skin and all with butter.

Advertisement