Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Emirates economy vs KLM economy.

Options
  • 09-07-2019 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

Dublin - Taipei.
    Done this journey twice recently through KLM
    Small hop to Amsterdam and
    Long second flight at around 12 and a half hours.

Where as emirates is 2 shorter flights around 8 hours each.
    Adds a few hours on to flying time but might be easier than the KLM flight.
    Thinking of going emirates this time to change it up?
    Read reviews and watched you tube reviews and emirates looks much better.

Is there Much of a difference between the two?
    Which is better?

Do you get free beer on emirates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You get free beer, wine and spirits on Emirates and its way better than KLM, been a long while since I flew KLM mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Cool, they look a lot better on YouTube.
    Will go with them this time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You also get beer and wine on KLM unless something's hugely changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sandbelter

So essentially 13.5hrs flying against 16hrs one way or 5hrs extra on a return trip....both use KLM is 17.5/31 seat size with Emirates 17/32...both have service that is Meh (KLM) to Emirates (meh Plus) ....though In flight entertainment is Emirates is a notch better...provided there something good coing out of Hollywood...which is a big if. Buts it's squeeze with both of them.

Since all of my "career limiting moves" have come 48hrs after a long haul flight in economy I'd go on time table. Principally if I'm going on business...... pick the timetable that allows you to Arr in TPE in the evening and go straight to bed, and do the same when you get back to DUB. Economy service with either is not going to be good enough to outweigh the jet lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Have done both recently. Did KLM to South Asia a few moths ago and was very impressed, particularly with the crew. Personally I’d pick KLM for the convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Can I hijack this thread to ask of people’s experiences with Qatar economy class from Dublin? Thanks

Can I hijack this thread to ask of people’s experiences with Qatar economy class from Dublin? Thanks

Came home via Doha.

A340-600 into Doha. Found the seat pretty comfy but entertainment was old school.

787 into Dublin had one of the most uncomfortable seats I’ve ever experienced. Seat pitch seemed tight, and found it impossible to get comfortable. Entertainment was decent on the new 787.

Food was average and cabin crew were robotic on both flights. Good drinks service. It was a night flight into DUB which may have exacerbated crankiness levels.

I’d prefer Emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I've done the above flight 3 times recently and found it not to be that bad tbh but then again I had nobody sitting directly beside me for any of those flight.

Only serious complaint I have with Qatar is the bulkey in-flight entertainment box's down by your feet, likewise with their A380s too.

Food was ok as well, plenty of choices to pick from if you pre-order on their website. I did however get the impression every time that they are not the most keen when it comes to serving alcohol.

L1011 wrote: »
    You also get beer and wine on KLM unless something's hugely changed?

Yea they do.
    But I’ve done the return trip twice on klm in as many months and was just wondering about changing it up.
    12.30 mins is a long ride.

Have done both recently. Did KLM to South Asia a few moths ago and was very impressed, particularly with the crew. Personally I’d pick KLM for the convenience.

Yea the crew on KLM are Brilliant, definitely nothing wrong with the service.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the opinions , I’ll probably decide when I’m going to book.

They both arrive in Taipei in the afternoon within an hour of each other.
    And depart Taipei at the same time .
    Few hours earlier leaving Dub and a couple hours later arriving. But nothing major.

Probably go emirates just to change it up.

Did you accrue air miles with KLM for the first two trips? You’d probably be close to a higher status within the program after a 3rd DUB-TPE.

I didn’t claim but just made an account there and claimed, looks like your right I would be after a third trip .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

KLM for the miles without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

KLM are fine, crew great and even a hot towel before meals

If things go wrong EC261 comes into play and flying with an EU carrier provides better rights

AMS is a simple airport to change at and if things go wrong you would much rather be in AMS than a mega airport in boiling heat in the Gulf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

KLM without a doubt would be my choice. AMS fantastic for connections and not mobbed like DXB is.

Yea looks like it was I’ll be KLM or Air France or China airlines/ Aer Lingus.
    Anyway much the same trip between those 3.
    Won’t be going Emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

To change things up (but depending on your choice and if this trip is for business or not), I recently did DUB-AMS-XMN-TPE, with everything after AMS with Xiamen Airlines (DUB-AMS was on KLM). The connection after an early morning arrival in XMN went very quick, two hour transfer without any issues. Don't expect too much entertainment (in English) on board, but that was fine with me.

On the way back they have multiple flights from TPE to XMN, so I intentionally picked the morning flight from Taipei to Xiamen, spending an afternoon and evening in Xiamen on a free 24-hour Chinese transit visa before taking the flight to AMS. I surprisingly found Xiamen a pleasant city (my first visit to China outside Hong Kong) and it made me more interested in visiting China again.

These Xiamen connections through AMS are often very well priced from Dublin, the above return trip was 398 EUR, while accruing KLM Flying Blue miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

XsApollo wrote: »
    Yea looks like it was I’ll be KLM or Air France or China airlines/ Aer Lingus.
    Anyway much the same trip between those 3.
    Won’t be going Emirates.

The long leg on KLM will be on a B777, some of the KLM 777s belong in a museum and make BAs fleet look modern

Second leg on Emirates will be on an A380

13 hours in a 20+ year old 777-200 would definitely be too much for me and I would choose the Emirates A380 every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Is there really much to choose from on similar schedules between long haul economy on most of the majors? To be honest the metal makes a bigger difference to me - eg my oft stated hatred for 787 economy. When you get into premium economy and business there's a world of difference but actually on straight up economy I would spend more time looking at the planes I'm gonna be on and the airports I'm gonna connect in (looking at you, LHR). A 787 vs an A380 on any airline is gonna make a decision for me based on 787 seats.

• Advertisement

The airline decides on the seats, not the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

The airline decides on the seats, not the manufacturer.
    The airline does what the manufacturer lets them do. I will avoid Boeing where there's a choice. 10-across 777 and 9-across 787 are not pleasant and the vast majority are configured that way. That extra inch of shoulder space or elbow room on an Airbus makes a big difference to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

steve-o wrote: »
    The airline does what the manufacturer lets them do. I will avoid Boeing where there's a choice. 10-across 777 and 9-across 787 are not pleasant and the vast majority are configured that way. That extra inch of shoulder space or elbow room on an Airbus makes a big difference to some.

Couldn't agree more

Its night and day between 8 and 9 across on the 787, that said the Boeing prototype was 9 across in the back.

777 was always to be 9 across and thats bearable, 10 is painful.

A330 is heaven in comparison 2+4+2 and the interior is much nicer than the retro 777 style which the 787 also has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Any opinions on the Air France 787 vs KLM 787?

Just an update for anybody looking at similar and wondering.

Well I’m sitting in a China airlines 777-300er at the minute 5 hours out from Taipei.
    Nice cabin, top class service , WiFi , had 2 meals already , I dunno if we will get breakfast also.
    The seats are a lot better on this than KLM.
    KLM’s are painful.
    The entertainment on the KLM is better, has more choice.
    Other than that China airlines is the better choice for this trip.

Pick your seat and 30kg checked luggage included in the price.
    Klm/Air France charge for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I've done both for similar journies to Asia quite often, imo Emirates are a slightly better airline (noticeably better if you get an A380 on the DBX to Asia route), Amsterdam is a better airport than Dubai (even more pronounced for long stops where you can very reasonably leave the airport) and you save time overall with KLM. KLM getting me back into Cork (via AL) is the deciding factor for me, if I lived in Dublin it would be much of a muchness.

Advertisement