Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New solar panel boiler installed..lack of hot water

Options
  • 11-07-2019 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi we recently got 30tube joule solar panels new cylinder installed along with a Triton thermostat power showerv As2000xt.. and new gas condensing boiler also. It's a 3 bed semi d house with 2 to 3 showers taken per day.
    I have the shower tenp up to Max 9 on the shower and the water is not hot. It's lukewarm. I called the installers back and they advised me the to hit boost on the boiler to generate hot water despite the glorious weather outside. The bottom of cylinder had a temp of 41 today yet the shower is at a constant Luke warm temp at the max temp. Any advise on how I approach the installers again who assure me all is ok. Water in taps downstairs is good it's just upstairs shower and tap in bathroom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

The bottom of the cylinder is always the coldest part of the system...I could have 70 degrees on top and 20 at the bottom. Your reading is not indicative to diagnostic...what's the temperature on collector sensor and on top of the cylinder ?

Now...to mix the solar tubes, gas boiler, shower and cylinder in a biq equation and come out with a single answer , its not like in algebra ! ;)

Can you post some photos of the Joule controller ?
    Also, from inside, the pump with the those two analogues clocks.
    Can you hear the pump running in the day time ?
    How recently did you got the panels, like a day or hours !?
    Is the cylinder 300 litres?
    Is the gas boiler system type or combi type ? Combi type is not designed to work with solar tubes thermal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sorryisay

Hi
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    The panels are in 7 days. Cylinder is 300 L they arrived with a bigger one but it didn't fit so put 300 in instead..
    Boiler not Combi. Yesterday morning TST 21.5., Col 32 , n% 32 pump speed, S3 28.5
    Evening temp on dials TST 23, COL 28.5, n% 0 ,S3 37.5

leaking water at the bottom of cylinder for past two mornings so will definitely have to call them back.
    Let me know if you want the pics from inside hotpress.

quote="rolion;110668769"]Hi,

The bottom of the cylinder is always the coldest part of the system...I could have 70 degrees on top and 20 at the bottom. Your reading is not indicative to diagnostic...what's the temperature on collector sensor and on top of the cylinder ?

Now...to mix the solar tubes, gas boiler, shower and cylinder in a biq equation and come out with a single answer , its not like in algebra ! ;)

Can you post some photos of the Joule controller ?
    Also, from inside, the pump with the those two analogues clocks.
    Can you hear the pump running in the day time ?
    How recently did you got the panels, like a day or hours !?
    Is the cylinder 300 litres?
    Is the gas boiler system type or combi type ? Combi type is not designed to work with solar tubes thermal.[/quote]

sorryisay wrote: »
    The panels are in 7 days. Cylinder is 300 L they arrived with a bigger one but it didn't fit so put 300 in instead..
    Boiler not Combi. Yesterday morning TST 21.5., Col 32 , n% 32 pump speed, S3 28.5
    Evening temp on dials TST 23, COL 28.5, n% 0 ,S3 37.5

Yes,only the 300l cylinder works in our houses,i wanted the 500l but no chance of getting through the doors.

Here are L I V E my 40 tubes non-optimised setup.
    I have same figures as yourself. So,looks fine.

Col - is collector,that should be high enough up there on the roof at midday,in a sunny day.
    TST - is the top sensor in cylinder and it should be high and stay higher for most of the day ,decreasing slowly as you use the water from the top.
    S3 - is the bottom of the cylinder,should follow slowly the TST but rapidly decrease once you start using the water,as it fills with the cold feed water from the bottom of the cylinder
    Pump at 32% means is runing variable, circulating the agent inside the closed piping circuit.Thats good sign..

Picture of my controller,i guess yours is the same !?

485073.jpg

The controller is very similar. The level of your reading is higher than we have acheived.

I have taken photos of the last few days morning and evening. The photos are on the on a public album I have created

I cannot puts links or images on the post as I am a new user.

Please PM and I can give you the link to the Google Photo Album.

But the S3 readings have varied between 22 and 38 degrees. I only reached that high when the boiler was on.

Cheers

rolion wrote: »
    Yes,only the 300l cylinder works in our houses,i wanted the 500l but no chance of getting through the doors.

Here aremy 40 tubes non-optimised setup.
    I have same figures as yourself. So,looks fine.

Col - is collector,that should be high enough up there on the roof at midday,in a sunny day.
    TST - is the top sensor in cylinder and it should be high and stay higher for most of the day ,decreasing slowly as you use the water from the top.
    S3 - is the bottom of the cylinder,should follow slowly the TST but rapidly decrease once you start using the water,as it fills with the cold feed water from the bottom of the cylinder
    Pump at 32% means is runing variable, circulating the agent inside the closed piping circuit.Thats good sign..

Picture of my controller,i guess yours is the same !?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chalkymchugh

On behalf of sorryisay
    sorryisay wrote: »
    The controller is very similar. The level of your reading is higher than we have acheived.

I have taken photos of the last few days morning and evening. The photos are on the on a public album I have created

I cannot puts links or images on the post as I am a new user.

Please PM and I can give you the link to the Google Photo Album.

But the S3 readings have varied between 22 and 38 degrees. I only reached that high when the boiler was on.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Image name has a timestamp
    On behalf of sorryisay

Hmm... my tubes are not optimised as i had to hide them to make space for the PVs...
    Low figures alright !
    I will check the data logegr to see tempertaures but today a mxim of 50 all three sensors will have been normal.

I will PM you monday the name of the tech guy in Joules/ Dublin.
    He went through my controller setings and made sure i setup correct,over the phone.

I cannot do more than that .. CALL your installer and fix the leak.

What about the photos in the hotpress,of those two analogue clocks ?
    What is the pressure ???

Let me know if can read it
    rolion wrote: »
    Hmm... my tubes are not optimised as i had to hide them to make space for the PVs...
    Low figures alright !
    I will check the data logegr to see tempertaures but today a mxim of 50 all three sensors will have been normal.

I will PM you monday the name of the tech guy in Joules/ Dublin.
    He went through my controller setings and made sure i setup correct,over the phone.

I cannot do more than that .. CALL your installer and fix the leak.

What about the photos in the hotpress,of those two analogue clocks ?
    What is the pressure ???

Let me know if can read it

hi just to let you know we got to the bottom of the issue. the solar is working ok but water was escaping from the cylinder (now located down stairs) to the upstairs radiators (on despite being turned off) . In order to recity this our installer has advised that a zoned heating system is the best solution. another cost I wasnt expecting to have to bear. the shower wasn't giving any hot water as it wasn't installed correctly so they fixed opened it up and fixed it so the nozzle was turning properly. I expect the reading to rise once this 3 zoned heatng is resovled. very dissapointed as I asked for a seperate water heating system when they intiallally called out to assess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement