Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Personal question in regards to feed

• 07-07-2019 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I have been in contact with a PRSA provider who said that based on €500 per month contributions I could have "3% premium charge [presumably monthly] and 0.75% Fund Management Charge [annually]"

At the higher rate of tax, the real world cost to me is €340 per month.

How does this sound to other people in the know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Are you saying charges on the fund are 3.75%? That seems crazy high

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

So my understanding is they take 3% of each monthly contribution so €15, meaning €485 gets added to the pension pot. Then as a management fee they take 0.75% of the total value of the fund every year.

Is this not standard with a PRSA?

My pension does not have a charge on each contribution. The annual fee is less than 1%. Im not an expert, but it sounds like you need to get an independent financial advisor.

If you had 6% annual growth over the long term over half would be taken in fees

I think you could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes if you are paying 3+ % in fees for a pension then that is far too much.

Most pension funds have annual charges of < 1%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Shouldn't be paying any contribution charge, that's just robbery.

Fees of around 1% are normal in Ireland unfortunately (would be curious about anyone paying less than that)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Kmagic wrote: »
    So my understanding is they take 3% of each monthly contribution so €15, meaning €485 gets added to the pension pot. Then as a management fee they take 0.75% of the total value of the fund every year.

Is this not standard with a PRSA?

It's easy to get a PRSA with 0% ongoing cont charge, i.e. 100% allocation.

The 1% AMC is fairly normal.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just ignore that product.

Anyone have any suggestions on good products out there or should I find a financial advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Thanks for the replies. I'll just ignore that product.

Anyone have any suggestions on good products out there or should I find a financial advisor.

Generally you just need to call and say you're managing it yourself and you want a "100% allocation rate". Most companies will give it to you if you ask. If you don't they'll screw you for up to 3% and unfortunately a lot of people in Ireland never bother to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dickface

To the people saying they pay less than 1% AMC, care to link to these PRSA's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

dickface wrote: »
    To the people saying they pay less than 1% AMC, care to link to these PRSA's?

Standard Life have a few Vanguard funds that are 0.90%. Still crazy considering they're around 0.10% in the US, Australia etc.

Out of interest I got the fees from Zurich for my different fund options. Screenshot attached!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

cooperguy wrote: »
    Out of interest I got the fees from Zurich for my different fund options. Screenshot attached!

Is that fees, or growth over last 30 days?

Is that fees, or growth over last 30 days?

That is annual fees for each fund type I have access to

That is annual fees for each fund type I have access to

And you have 100% allocation rate with those fees?

And you have 100% allocation rate with those fees?

Do you mean, is a contribution fee taken off the top of my monthly pension payment? No, that doesn't happen, what comes out of my salary every month goes into the pension account (plus the employer contribution)

Do you mean, is a contribution fee taken off the top of my monthly pension payment? No, that doesn't happen, what comes out of my salary every month goes into the pension account (plus the employer contribution)

Yeah from your monthly payment. Those fees are quite low compared to what I'm seeing. Must try research those funds.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

My annual charge is 0.4% and that’s it

My annual charge is 0.4% and that’s it

Do you mind if I ask who you're provider is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Do you mind if I ask who you're provider is?

Willis

• Advertisement

Yeah from your monthly payment. Those fees are quite low compared to what I'm seeing. Must try research those funds.

Cheers.

let us know what you end up with!

let us know what you end up with!

Will do. Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement