Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quick question about importing from the UK

• 11-07-2019 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Let's say I'm buying a used rifle from the UK. I pay for it, get my Irish license. Then I get the DOJ Import paperwork done.

If I go over on the ferry to collect it myself, do I need anything else to allow me to transport it from the shop in the UK to the ferry? Or is my Irish license and the import/export permit sufficient?

Thanks,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

alanmc wrote: »
    Hi,

Let's say I'm buying a used rifle from the UK. I pay for it, get my Irish license. Then I get the DOJ Import paperwork done.

If I go over on the ferry to collect it myself, do I need anything else to allow me to transport it from the shop in the UK to the ferry? Or is my Irish license and the import/export permit sufficient?

Thanks,
    Al.

For you to collect the firearm in the UK you will need a Europeam Firearms Pass, to be in possesion of the firearm legally in the UK you should have a relevant Police Force visitors pass.
    You dont have to get an export livence, that is up to the UK RFD, you need the import licence.
    You are obliged to inform the ferry that you are carrying firearms on board, paperwork required for that aswell.
    Its a lot easier and cheaper to to let your local & friendly RFD do the admin.
    Btw ...none of this happens quicky when you are doing it as a private individual.
    I have been down both roads ...and the second option is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Nothing to do with Firearms admin ever happens quickly. :)

Thanks for the info. I might see if my RFD is willing to do the legwork for me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

alanmc wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Firearms admin ever happens quickly. :)

Thanks for the info. I might see if my RFD is willing to do the legwork for me so.

ivan in top gun is excellent at it, he will bring whatever you need in from the uk for a fee

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

l.
    Its a lot easier and cheaper to to let your local & friendly RFD do the admin.
    Btw ...none of this happens quicky when you are doing it as a private individual.

There is also NOTHING stopping you from having it deliverd to your door as well. from the UK from the dealer there via courier,or more like An Post.
    BTW,this info holds valid until Oct 31st this year.God knows what will happen post Brexit.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

It might go the same route as my replacement camera bag from Italy. That arrived after sixteen weeks from Christchurch NZ, having also been to Dubai and Brussels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    There is also NOTHING stopping you from having it deliverd to your door as well. from the UK from the dealer there via courier,or more like An Post.
    BTW,this info holds valid until Oct 31st this year.God knows what will happen post Brexit.

A courier maybe (Hays DX or DHL)but An Post do not allow firearms in the international mail stream (import or export).

Funny that.
    I got my Ruger Mk 2 deliverd by An Post.From Deutsche Post/DHL.... They wont accept you introducing something into their system,but once it is incoming into their system from outside, seems they are obliged to deliver it.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Bearing the above in mind, would it be unwise to kick off an import now considering the uncertainty of October 31st?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Funny that.
    I got my Ruger Mk 2 deliverd by An Post.From Deutsche Post/DHL.... They wont accept you introducing something into their system,but once it is incoming into their system from outside, seems they are obliged to deliver it.;)

You are not the only LUCKY one to do that.

Maybe there is some EU directive that says something on this,somewhere?Maybe because dHL is a courier this covers the courier side of things and AP is just the deivery boys in a blue outfit??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Find a dealer in the North and get it shipped to them, very easy and reasonably cheap, Couriers can be a s cheap as 20 GBP.
    The NI dealer once they have the details of the firearm arrange pick up and delivery to them (ANYTHING ELSE IS JUST NOT REQUIRED)

Then ask an Irish dealer to get the import for you which takes about 3 to 4 weeks. No need for European Firearms passes.

The Irish dealer can then collect the gun and depending on where you are in Ireland make arrangements to give it to you.

Best advice is to have an Irish licence for the Gun before you start this, just to quicken up the process.

Total cost 100 Euro max.
    Done this a few times.

Last one was only 3 weeks ago.

My RFD is going to do all the legwork for me. Top gent.

Thanks for the info lads. Appreciate all the comments.

Advertisement