Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayne shotgun

• 11-07-2019 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hi all, My father has an old Mayne shotgun side by side, I was wondering how old it is and where it was made, I know very little about guns, just looki for info on it, tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

J O Mayne was a gun-maker or retailer - opinions differ - operating in London between 1860 and 1890 or thereabouts. You don't mention if it iss a cartridge- firing piece or a muzzleloader, but if it is the latter, then that comes from the latter end of manufacturing. The colonies of Australia and New Zealand had hundreds of these guns, many still in use. From the little I've read they were good workmanlike guns of economy grade. It won't be worth much, TBH, and in any case will have been made for black powder loads and NOT for any modern loads - probably 2 1/2" 12g only.

Taking the barrels out - it is is percussion - or off, if it is a cartridge-shooter, will reveal all the proof marks on the action flats and under the barrels. Tell us or show us what they are, and we'll probably be able to date it more accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭jd06

tac foley wrote: »
    J O Mayne was a gun-maker or retailer - opinions differ - operating in London between 1860 and 1890 or thereabouts. You don't mention if it iss a cartridge- firing piece or a muzzleloader, but if it is the latter, then that comes from the latter end of manufacturing. The colonies of Australia and New Zealand had hundreds of these guns, many still in use. From the little I've read they were good workmanlike guns of economy grade. It won't be worth much, TBH, and in any case will have been made for black powder loads and NOT for any modern loads - probably 2 1/2" 12g only.

Taking the barrels out - it is is percussion - or off, if it is a cartridge-shooter, will reveal all the proof marks on the action flats and under the barrels. Tell us or show us what they are, and we'll probably be able to date it more accurately.

Thanks v much for the info so far, very informative, it's a cartridge gun,
    I was trying to send a photo but can't, I'll try when I get home from work thanks again

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Yes very similar and a cartridge gun, it also has a carving on the end of the gun( timber handle)
    Thanks, We'll probably sell it as nobody uses it now, any idea of value

You might be looking at the thick end of a hundred euros, but I'd be thinking more like the price of a good fish supper.

• Advertisement

You might be looking at the thick end of a hundred euros, but I'd be thinking more like the price of a good fish supper.

No bother, thanksðŸ˜

jd06 wrote: »
    No bother, thanksðŸ˜

Pics are not great, but ye get the idea

jd06 wrote: »
    Pics are not great, but ye get the idea

Ah, make that a fish supper for one, using Lidl fish sticks... :cool:

Ah, make that a fish supper for one, using Lidl fish sticks... :cool:

Ha ha ,your hard on me.
    U can see problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hasn't been used in awhile?...Going by the spider web on the hammers?:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hasn't been used in awhile?...Going by the spider web on the hammers?:)

Very true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Side by sides, unless something very special, like a Holland and Holland Royal or some of the other high end British makes, really are not worth much. Very good lesser makers, really excellent guns, can be had for reasonable money. A dealer i know reckons he cannot give side by sides away, which is a pity because for walked up game, they are ideal.

Advertisement