Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadside Dining (restaurant and parking, not mobile offers)

• 10-07-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyalAcademy2

I would be very interested if you could list the best roadside cafes/restaurants you have visited. I am talking relatively small sit-down and/or takeaway businesses and not franchise operations, arboretum/Avoca-style etc.

Hopefully, some recommendations will have me travelling the length and breadth of Ireland for some research prior to opening a similar business - great roadside location with ample parking.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Station House, Lordship, Co Louth:
    https://www.facebook.com/TheStationHouseCafeLordship/

Similarly, Fitzpatrick's, Co. Louth, although that is a pub also and may be larger than you have in mind:
    https://www.fitzpatricks-restaurant.com/dining/bistro-menu/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Rohu's Country Market in Innishannon, Cork have lovely bits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you're ever going over the East Link in Dublin, Deekes Diner is a great spot for a greasy spoon.

https://dekes-diner.business.site/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyalAcademy2

I wonder if those smoke houses that do so well in the States would be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I wonder if those smoke houses that do so well in the States would be popular.

I’ve thought this myself for years but still nothing has appeared. I found a great spot for one in North Dublin but have done nothing about it.

Before I did do something about it, I’d sit outside the couple in central Dublin - Pitt Bros and the Bison Bar (both owned by McKillen Jnr I believe) and watch/count the age profile and composition of the clientele ie families?

Look at the Big Grill festival and it’s mostly young adults. Would families jump in the car and head to a restaurant like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 RoyalAcademy2

I’ve thought this myself for years but still nothing has appeared. I found a great spot for one in North Dublin but have done nothing about it.

Before I did do something about it, I’d sit outside the couple in central Dublin - Pitt Bros and the Bison Bar (both owned by McKillen Jnr I believe) and watch/count the age profile and composition of the clientele ie families?

Look at the Big Grill festival and it’s mostly young adults. Would families jump in the car and head to a restaurant like that?

My location will depend on traffic from a very busy main road that is speed regulated, easy to pull in with good parking. It may also be a destination spot as its close enough to an urban population centre.

I suppose that rather than offering something that appeals to me (which might just be a vanity fantasy) the real question is: what is the best and tastiest "on the go" freshly prepared food that will appeal to your "average" road users?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think with the construction of motorways roadside dining has changed massively in Ireland. I just passed Mother Hubbards there a couple of weeks ago and it was like a ghost town compared to the days before it got bypassed with the new M7. Same goes for the Huntsman in Gormanstown and Donegans north of Drogheda, they were two of the busiest steakhouses in Ireland at one stage but now things have dropped off a cliff.

Years ago journeys in Ireland were so ardous you needed to stop and take a break which meant getting something to eat. Driving 150 miles in Ireland used to take 4 or 5 hours on some routes, nowadays those journeys can be done in 2 hours so people dont feel the need to stop to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ Carla Mammoth Battery

I like healthy, tasty food and cants stand fast food. However, if going on a big trip with my family, the handiest places to stop with kids are places like Obama Plaza and Applegreen as they have easy parking, play areas , petrol, lots of space for kids to move around, take away coffee, snacks for car, toilets, baby change areas etc.. food isn’t really nice ,I usually wouldn’t eat, but would get a roll and crisps for kids.
    I often look for a nice kid friendly restaurant that we could go to at weekend, go for nice drive ( not motorway) , a walk/ climb and then pull in for some nice (not deep fried) food at a place where kids could play also, but tricky to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

OP you should check out magazine in todays Sunday Independent. It lists the 20 best food trucks and trailers in Ireland. Many of them are converted fixed containers eg Happy Out in Dollymount.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement