Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin To Kerry Breakfast Stop Off

Options
  • 10-07-2019 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

Heading to Killarney and looking at stopping somewhere for breakfast.
    Not a service station as they are horrible places unless a quick coffee etc, a omelette be nice, but most wont as too time consuming

Heading towards Limerick as going to Cork after Killarney so be going home that way

At the minute looking like Midway Maldron, was Horse & Jockey but then want E14 verus Maldron E11

Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Not a lot of great options
    I usually make a stop in the Obama plaza , best of a bad lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Not a lot of great options
    I usually make a stop in the Obama plaza , best of a bad lot

No there isn't and its a long enough spin without going off into some pokey village for ages

Was in it once , some setup, I assume your looking at a supermacs or spar deli breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Before the M7 was opened, we used to get breakfast or dinner depending on when we traveled at Racket Hall hotel in Roscrea. It's on the main old N7 road on the Dublin side before Roscrea. Don't let the idea of a formal hotel put you off as you can walk straight into the bar from the car park for breakfast from 7am. Granted it's as long as the motorway has been open (2010?) since I've eaten there but it was always decent anytime we stopped and is a perfect half way stop between Dublin and Kerry.

Just take the Roscrea exit from the M7 and it's a couple of kms from there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I am nearly certain either the deli or Supermacs actually does a plate, knife and fork breakfast in the Obama Plaza. So its a step up from a deli breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd be wary of stopping at Racket Hall outside Roscrea. I agree with what the poster ongarboy says above about what it was like when it was on the main road, I stopped there loads of times on the way to Cork and it was a great place for a quick breakfast. I'm sure it's still a cosy country house hotel but that doesn't mean that they're still doing all day roadhouse catering.

Two options to consider.....

1. Matt the Thresher, Birdhill. Come off the M7 at exit 27, you come on to a link road which takes you up to the old N7, turn left for Birdhill. They do a full menu all day. When departing, go back the way you came i.e. i.e. rejoin the motorway at the same exit, do not take the old road towards Limerick.

2. Cafe at the visitor centre in Adare. This is mainly a soup and sandwiches joint but you'll be in and out in no time. When you drive into Adare, go right at the roundabout, drive about 40m, then turn right into the car park at the rear of the visitor centre. This has the advantage that when exiting, you will have right of way at the roundabout over traffic coming from Dublin so you'll be back on the road in no time. You also have the option to park there and walk up to the Dunraven Arms and getting out will be far easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭g1983d

Anacotty just off the UL limerick bypass exit

This is great info thanks, heading off in the morning and options where looking thin and then being pushed into going early with going to Moldron and breakfast finishing up at 11am

coylemj wrote: »
    I'd be wary of stopping at Racket Hall outside Roscrea. I agree with what the poster ongarboy says above about what it was like when it was on the main road, I stopped there loads of times on the way to Cork and it was a great place for a quick breakfast. I'm sure it's still a cosy country house hotel but that doesn't mean that they're still doing all day roadhouse catering.

Two options to consider.....

1. Matt the Thresher, Birdhill. Come off the M7 at exit 27, you come on to a link road which takes you up to the old N7, turn left for Birdhill. They do a full menu all day. When departing, go back the way you came i.e. i.e. rejoin the motorway at the same exit, do not take the old road towards Limerick.

2. Cafe at the visitor centre in Adare. This is mainly a soup and sandwiches joint but you'll be in and out in no time. When you drive into Adare, go right at the roundabout, drive about 40m, then turn right into the car park at the rear of the visitor centre. This has the advantage that when exiting, you will have right of way at the roundabout over traffic coming from Dublin so you'll be back on the road in no time. You also have the option to park there and walk up to the Dunraven Arms and getting out will be far easier.

Just in case anyone finds the thread, they only do breakfast Mon-Fri 10:00–11:45

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Probably too late now but Finnegans just off Jcn28 on the M7 us usually a very handy place to stop. Haven't had breakfast but they do decent (fairly traditional) food.

Ended up in moldron in midway, 11 for buffet so choose what you want etc

Most places don't have a menu/price list on their sites or the Web and don't reply to Facebook messenger

Going to Adare now so likely a coffee in visitor center as recommended

Thanks again, good to have for future reference

• Advertisement
Advertisement