Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HoC vote to legalise same-sex marriage and decriminalise abortion in NI

• 09-07-2019 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

https://news.sky.com/story/mps-vote-to-legalise-same-sex-marriage-in-northern-ireland-if-no-new-stormont-executive-11759880

I'm aware there's some discussion of this in the Brexit thread, but I thought it was more appropriate to discuss in a separate thread (if I havent missed it already).

Pretty significant. Particularly interesting to see the SNP row back from their usual abstention on devolved matters and allow a free vote on this.

It'll be interesting to see how rapidly the DUP could withdraw their current objections to getting Stormont back up and running with this facing them. I'll also be interested in seeing the reaction SF get if this is the case. Could they end up being accused of selling out SSM/abortion rights for the ILA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

So, if Sinn Fein reaffirms that SSM and abortion rights are preconditions to them going back into Stormont (I presume that's already their position?), then those two things are going to happen whether or not the executive gets up and running, so in effect, it takes them off the table. Will that make the NI talks easier?

Excellent news. Westminster doing its job at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭jm08

So, if Sinn Fein reaffirms that SSM and abortion rights are preconditions to them going back into Stormont (I presume that's already their position?), then those two things are going to happen whether or not the executive gets up and running, so in effect, it takes them off the table. Will that make the NI talks easier?

No. There is still the Irish Language Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

jm08 wrote: »
    No. There is still the Irish Language Act.

Yeah, but that's 1 issue, not 3 issues, which is why I said 'easier'. Plus, it's not a moral issue in the DUP's eyes, but something that they might agree to in exchange for some concession for their own community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. We'll finally see what the DUP hate more. Same sex marriage or the ILA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's also pleasing that it helps dispel some of the hang-wringing sanctimonious "Both sides are as bad as each other and need to compromise" nonsense. There's no stick used on Sinn Féin or demands made of them, because they have nothing to hold over them.

The fact the DUP's own supposedly loyal kin and brethren have to threaten them with implementing equality laws to make them do their jobs is the clearest signal yet of how backwards the DUP are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Really curious to see if SF will push for SSM and Abortion along with the ILA, the DUP really haven't got a leg to stand on here as SF win either way.

Id love to see inside the DUP meetings on this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Is there anything else Westminster could pass that would annoy the DUP?

If Sinn Fein were in the HOC now they could introduce the ILA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is there anything else Westminster could pass that would annoy the DUP?

If Sinn Fein were in the HOC now they could introduce the ILA

Why would they do that?

They'll get the ILA when Stormont returns.

Advertisement