Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxsaver ticket query

Options
  • 08-07-2019 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭

I have a ticket which allows train travel as far as Balbriggan. I need to go to Drogheda at the weekend. Can I just book a ticket from Balbriggan to Drogheda which will cover me for the portion of my trip not covered by taxsaver or do I have to buy the full Dublin to Drogheda ticket?

Also if I book Balbriggan to Drogheda ticket, can I still collect the ticket in Connolly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I have a ticket which allows train travel as far as Balbriggan. I need to go to Drogheda at the weekend. Can I just book a ticket from Balbriggan to Drogheda which will cover me for the portion of my trip not covered by taxsaver or do I have to buy the full Dublin to Drogheda ticket?

Also if I book Balbriggan to Drogheda ticket, can I still collect the ticket in Connolly?

I think yes to both. You can collect your ticket from any machine though do you need to tag on/off at Balbriggan for your taxsaver ticket to be validated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No need to tag on or off with an annual ticket

Unlikely the fare is available online, so will need a staffed booking office to issue

Not valid on Enterprise, only the commuter services are you MUST stop at Ballbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

No need to tag on or off with an annual ticket

Unlikely the fare is available online, so will need a staffed booking office to issue

Not valid on Enterprise, only the commuter services are you MUST stop at Ballbriggan

So I have to get off the train at Balbriggan and then jump on the next one going to Drogheda? That would mean waiting an hour needlessly for the next train.

In theory yes, but in practice all the train needs to do is stop at Balbriggan

Fare is available online at https://journeyplanner.irishrail.ie.

If you buy a Balbriggan-Drogheda 'flexible' ticket (€5.49) you can travel "anytime that day" . Would this, along with the annual ticket to Balbriggan be valid for travel on the Enterprise?

• Advertisement

No, as when boarding the enterprise you do not have a valid ticket for at least as far as the next stop.

No, as when boarding the enterprise you do not have a valid ticket for at least as far as the next stop.

But if OP is in possession of an annual ticket covering Dublin-Balbriggan and a single ticket covering Balbriggan-Drogheda, the combination surely constitutes a valid ticket as far as the next stop. Is there a specific bye-law preventing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

cdaly_ wrote: »
    But if OP is in possession of an annual ticket covering Dublin-Balbriggan and a single ticket covering Balbriggan-Drogheda, the combination surely constitutes a valid ticket as far as the next stop. Is there a specific bye-law preventing this?

So I've bought a flexible day return for €10.98 from Balbriggan to Drogheda, and I have an annual ticket covering me to Balbriggan.

The slow train gets me there in a little under an hour, while the Enterprise is about 35 minutes. How confident are you that I'll be ok to take the Enterprise? Last thing I want is a fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't take the Enterprise. Train host won't even let you if they check anyway

Chivito550 wrote: »
    So I've bought a flexible day return for €10.98 from Balbriggan to Drogheda, and I have an annual ticket covering me to Balbriggan.

The slow train gets me there in a little under an hour, while the Enterprise is about 35 minutes. How confident are you that I'll be ok to take the Enterprise? Last thing I want is a fine.

Sit back and enjoy the ride...

• Advertisement
Advertisement