Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biggest Hurling Shocks

• 08-07-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Where would the Laois victory yesterday rank?
    They were 12/1 pre-game to win AFAIK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2010- Antrim beating Dublin
    1993- Kerry beating Waterford
    Didnt Roscommon beat Wexford

Prob a few from old NHL campaigns. Didnt Clare after they won the AI in 1995 lose too a weaker county in the following league ???.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

I suppose we have to stay focused on Champo here. There have been a good few League surprises alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Antrim beat Wexford in under 21 a few years ago

In senior Offaly and Cork 2000 was a huge upset at the time for a bigger game. That said Offaly won an AI only two years earlier but seemed well past their best in 00. It definitely was a massive shock, I - and most pundits and fans alike - felt Cork were absolute certainties for the 2 in a row. Offaly went on to be well beaten in the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Where would the Laois victory yesterday rank?
    They were 12/1 pre-game to win AFAIK.

I don't think it's a big a shock as some are making out. These teams were in the same division in the League and Dublin won that match by just two points, and Laois finished above Carlow. With Dublin having a few injuries and Laois scoring heavy in the Joe McDonagh final it was always a possibly sticky game for Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

PTH2009 wrote: »

Prob a few from old NHL campaigns. Didnt Clare after they won the AI in 1995 lose too a weaker county in the following league ???.

I dont ever recall Roscommon and Wexford playing hurling. Nor ever heard of it. I'm nearly sure they beat Waterford though. In around 83 or so Waterford were in a very low position in the league and played Roscommon and Mayo etc. I knew a guy from Roanmore that was on the team at the time.

Wexford lost to Meath in 95 prior to winning the All Ireland the subsequent year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Antrim beating Offaly in 1989 has to be up there.

Westmeath got to a Leinster final in 1937 must have been a few shocks along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

1989 All-Ireland semi final where Antrim hammered Offaly would be the biggest in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Roscommon beat Wexford in 1984 Centenary Cup (hurling)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Clare beating Cork in 1993
    Wexford beating Kilkenny in 2004 were surprise results

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Antrim beating Offaly in 1989 has to be up there.

Westmeath got to a Leinster final in 1937 must have been a few shocks along the way.

Yeah. Nicky English scored more than the entire Antrim team in the subsequent All Ireland which gives you an idea of where Antrims level actually was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think yesterday's result was the biggest upset in my lifetime. Mind you laois bet Dublin in 2005 and ran them close in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

Was there ever a connact championship in hurling?
    Where the hell did the Ulster one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Kerry beat Clare 5/6 weeks after the all ireland in 95 in the first round of the league. Bit of a shock but it was the league and away trips that time were usually an excuse for a piss up the night before the match whenever it was a so called 'weaker' county that you were visiting - it certainly was that night for the Clare lads anyway.

In championship Antrim beating Offaly in 89 would be the biggest shock that I've witnessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

C__MC wrote: »
    I think yesterday's result was the biggest upset in my lifetime. Mind you laois bet Dublin in 2005 and ran them close in the league.

Been a lot of money and decent underage teams in Dublin since plus a league title in 2011 and Leinster in 2013. Waterford played both Laois and Dublin in the qualifier group that year and having been at both games, Laois were much better than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Kerry beat Clare in league in 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

C__MC wrote: »
    Was there ever a connact championship in hurling?
    Where the hell did the Ulster one go?

God yea, the connaught championship was around until not so long ago (mid 90's anyway). It was usually just a final between Galway and Roscommon that I can remember. Wasn't there one year that Joe Rabbitte got an awful belt on the end from a wild pull that was played endlessly on The Sunday Game at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Yeah. Nicky English scored more than the entire Antrim team in the subsequent All Ireland which gives you an idea of where Antrims level actually was.

It was at the level that they got to the All -Ireland final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Clare beating Cork in 1993
    Wexford beating Kilkenny in 2004 were surprise results

Wexford beating Tipp in 2008 I think it was too

I think that was their annus horribilis under Babs Keating, but Wexford were at a serious low ebb at the time

If I recall correctly the All Ireland semi between Wexford and KK was actually a curtain raiser for an All Ireland quarter final replay, such was the inevitability about the result

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That was a good Antrim team though. They never turned up for the final. In 1991 they should have beaten Kilkenny in the SF and were a better team than in 89.
    Playing in Leinster underage helped them to get there. Unfortunately they are nowhere now.

That was a good Antrim team though. They never turned up for the final. In 1991 they should have beaten Kilkenny in the SF and were a better team than in 89.
    Playing in Leinster underage helped them to get there. Unfortunately they are nowhere now.

The bigger hurling counties down south basically forgot about them since the mid nineties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭blackcard

Antrim beating Kilkenny in the 1943 AI semi final would have to be up there

The bigger hurling counties down south basically forgot about them since the mid nineties

What does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Thats because Antrim gave them nothing to remember them by

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

TBF Antrim clubs are usually there or thereabouts at the club semi finals these days.
    Loughguiel got over the line twice and Cushendall were beaten in final by a Na Pairsaigh team that no-one could handle that year. This year they should have at least taken St Thomas to extra time.
    Dunloy reached the final 4 times, without success.

At the county level, only having won one cup* (Christy Ring in 2006) since the hurling was split is a poor return and they were mid table in this years McDonagh Cup.

*Not counting Walsh Cup in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Kerry beating Waterford in 93 was a huge shock at the time because the previous year Waterford had won the U21 All Ireland and got to the minor final so were seen as a team on the rise with exciting young prospects like Tony Browne and Paul Flynn. But they took their eye off the ball down Walsh park and lost to a couple of late goals. I think actually this affected the team for a good few years after that with subsequent poor championship performances until their breakthrough in 1998.The manager of kerry on that day was none other than John Meyler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Offaly beating Kilkenny in 1980 leinster final was a big shock though they had been threatening a breakthrough the few years before that. Amazingly they would go onto win 9 Leinster titles in the next 15 years including 4 All Irelands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Westmeath beating Eddie Brennan’s Kilkenny in the U-21 a couple of years ago has to be the biggest shock I know of. Hurling has so few surprises because of the huge gaps in history, culture etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

jr86 wrote: »
    Antrim beat Wexford in under 21 a few years ago

In senior Offaly and Cork 2000 was a huge upset at the time for a bigger game. That said Offaly won an AI only two years earlier but seemed well past their best in 00. It definitely was a massive shock, I - and most pundits and fans alike - felt Cork were absolute certainties for the 2 in a row. Offaly went on to be well beaten in the final

Certainties for 2 in a row?
    Go away out of that

They only won the final the year before by a point and would have had to play the same team if they had beaten Offaly

Anyway, as you say yourself, Offaly had won an all-ireland only 2 years before
    Cork were favourites for sure, but everyone knew Offaly were capable on their day

Antrim making the final in 1989 was the biggest that I remember

What does this mean?

Look at the format of every competition in the last 20 years

• Advertisement

Look at the format of every competition in the last 20 years

No thanks. Would you see much difference in how Galway and Antrim have been treated in that time?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the42.ie/antrim-u21-hurling-kevin-ryan-1081220-Sep2013/%3famp=1

Excerpt:

stations,” Kevin Ryan jokes as he tots up the 500 or so miles it takes to make the round-trip from his home in Waterford to Ballymena.

The first evening he took training with Antrim’s U21 hurlers, only six or seven players turned up. Two nights before their All-Ireland semi-final against Wexford, it was a bit better.

They had 14.

(I would suggest this has a lot more to do with their struggles than "the man" keeping them down)

Advertisement